Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-08-14 11:42:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Lovely afternoon!

Lisa came up for a delicious picnic and to collect her Euskal Oiloa eggs and a few Lavender D'uccle eggs we could find.  Helen, (Helliefant) on Poultry Swap Ontario came with her to see the EOs and my other breeds as a change for her ISA browns.  I think she was quite tempted :doI?:

The afternoon flew by in what seem like minutes like it always does when talking chicken!! :applause:  I hope the hatch goes well and you like the Wildflower honey!  :eat:  Thanks for coming all the way to see us!

2011-08-14 11:42:19

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-14 12:51:30

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Lovely afternoon!

Sounds like a lovely afternoon. I sure wish I could drop in to talk chicken and maybe take home some EO and d'uccle eggs and some honey! Might want a few more d'uccle eggs in the spring Claire, we'll see.

I went to Red Deer to a Canadian Heritage Breed Association seminar on showing chickens yesterday. Lots of information for sure! In a way I am glad the EO is not part of the American Poultry Association though, it is more fun to just enjoy them for now!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-08-14 14:03:15

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:happybday: Sounds like you had a pretty good chicken day too!  I would love to have gone to that.  Canada is just a tad large sometimes!  One of these  days, I'll make it out West!  :thumbs:

I am wondering whether I should even offer the lavenders til I get new blood.  There's still lots more non bearded, and cross beaks than I'd like I think.  I don't want to buy any adults so it means getting eggs next spring, then not sharing til 2013.  I guess if people like what they got this year and know what they are like then maybe I can send the odd ones out. The temperament is great at least and plan for culling/selling most for pets and keeping the best, but they are all so friendly and they don't take up much space or food :whistle: :doI?:!

#4 2011-08-14 17:10:05

Flat Rock Farm

Oh, that does sound like a lovely afternoon, and yes when talking chickens the time fly's by.........:whistle:  At least when we get together Mark has John and Nathan to talk to instead of listening to us go on and on, it's nice to have other people to talk "chicken" with as others don't get it (especially my family), they all think I'm :Crazy: in the head, LOL

#5 2011-08-15 02:34:34

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Oh, that does sound like a lovely afternoon, and yes when talking chickens the time fly's by.........:whistle:  At least when we get together Mark has John and Nathan to talk to instead of listening to us go on and on, it's nice to have other people to talk "chicken" with as others don't get it (especially my family), they all think I'm :Crazy: in the head, LOL

I know what you mean!  :Crazy:  Nathan is looking forward to some non-chicken crazy company :chook:

#6 2011-08-15 14:34:00

Lindy Lou

Talking about non chicken crazy company are we set for the 28th or the 29th of this month Claire? Have you managed to get hold of Russ? It will be a real treat to come up and see everyone again. We are really looking forward to it.
Lynn

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#7 2011-08-15 18:04:23

Flat Rock Farm

It's the 28th the Sunday, would be nice if Russ could come haven't seen word from him on PSO in awhile, I miss the crazy bugger.

#8 2011-08-16 04:09:08

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:eat:  I think Ièm going to need to call Russ as I emailed him well over a week ago, not Pm`d, and no reply.  And it seems I'm never home, here I am again down in Exeter.  And Poplargirl knows I am phonophobic (if that's a word) so can procrastinate indefinitely...! :oops: It will be good to seem him, it was the breeding and showing seminar the last I saw him!  I don't even know if he knows we are staying!

#9 2011-08-16 11:06:54

poplar girl
Administrator

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

And Poplargirl knows I am phonophobic (if that's a word) so can procrastinate indefinitely...! :oops:!

It's okay Claire, everyone has a phobia yours just happens to be the telephone. I am not far behind you. All's well if people call me but I'm not good at calling others. Susan seems to know to call me (and she warns me first :P). Maybe you could text his cell phone (if you have the number) asking when it would be a good time to call, sometimes they call you then =D I owe Randy Spencer a phone call, have for some time now :oops:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2011-08-16 12:36:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Funny, I am fine when I get on the phone (will talk your ear ifff about chickens) it is initial contact that gets me!  I'll call him tonight even if it's just leaving a message as I. Don't have his cell number.  I should see how his Coronation Sussex is settling in!

#11 2011-08-16 15:14:32

Lisa

It WAS a lovely afternoon! :jumping:

Nothing more fun than seeing someone else's beautiful barnyard on a balmy summer afternoon, eating good food and collecting fresh hatching eggs! The entertaining, over-achieving Chantecler mama and her hatch was a big bonus! (Totally cute little foragers! and a beautiful mama)

My australorp broody is a happy girl - I put 6 eggs from Speckly Jim's line under her. She had shavings in the nest and straw in the tractor - she's now added some straw to her nest to make it just the way she wants it. I told Doug (DH) that anytime a woman starts decorating, you know she's happy in her home!

The other eggs (from both Jim and Blondie lines) are warming away in the hovabator, along with the bonus d'uccle eggs and ameracauna egg (maybe??) that we found. I think Helen is quite excited about the d'uccles - she was planning where to put them in her barn on the way home.

And I think the funniest thing we saw was little batty Dolly D'uccle - walking around the pen, deciding she was feeling broody, and carefully tossing feathers and pieces of straw onto her own back! :lol: Maybe she's making a portable nest.....

Thanks again Claire for the lovely afternoon, and the lovely eggs! I'll post pictures of the hatches.

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#12 2011-08-17 00:45:29

Island Girl

:thumbs: it sounds like you guys had a great visit!

XOX Monika

#13 2011-08-17 00:55:46

Helliefant

Thanks Claire...It was a great afternoon and yes, I am still planning on where to put the d'uccles!!!!!
Hopefully we will be invited again and you are welcome here anytime...who knows...maybe ducklings are in your future too..:whistle:

#14 2011-08-17 03:24:21

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:welcome: Helen! It was fun, definitely worth repeating.  :jumping:  I hope you get some chicks after all this!  Wasn't Dolly-bird funny :Crazy:?  Strange chicken :huh: I just wrote an article on D'Uccles yesterday, I thought it was time!  Glad your broody is behaving now Lisa. 

http://www.infobarrel.com/DUccle_Bantam … cken_Breed

It will be exciting to get your eggs sent Monika!  Then maybe freedom for the EOs. They do like to free range...or gallop up to see me because they think I have food!  They would have been tripping us up on Saturday had they been loose. :chook:

#15 2011-08-17 04:00:20

poplar girl
Administrator

Just read the article on d'uccles...very nicely done!

And :welcome: helliefant!

#16 2011-08-17 05:03:42

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Thanks PG, it;s so hard not to be biased.... :whistle:

Adverts

Board footer