Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-02 01:33:00

northmountaingal

Hi from Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley

Yesterday I had the good fortune to acquire 9 Euskal Oiloa chicks and two Black Penedesenca chicks!!!
I was so happy to find this forum and look forward to the knowledge and information that its more experienced members can provide.

Two years ago I had a chicken coop built and started with Rhode Island Red cross...lovely friendly birds that I refer to as my girls. They came from a farm outlet/feed store. From Ontario (Performance Poultry) I had a collection of various coloured Silkies (Partridge, Black, White, Red) and a little group of Ameraucanas (currently 7 hens and one rooster)shipped to me. It's been an enjoyable experience thus far. I love the fresh eggs and often sell the green and brown eggs to co-workers to supplement the cost of feed. The Silkies little eggs I usually keep for myself, although I did let them sit this spring and am having fun with the wee little chicks.

Now, along with some Silkie chicks, my new babies are residing in my homemade brooders in my sunporch...I can hardly wait for my days off to come so I can get some photos and spend more time observing them. They have settled in nicely, eating and drinking well. The EO chicks are such dear little balls of fluff!

2 Australian Cattle Dogs, a gang of indoor kitties and a my coop of chickens makes for a happy household here on the North Mountain of Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley.

2012-06-02 01:33:00

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-02 01:38:11

Maggiesdad

Re: Hi from Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley

:congrats: and :welcome: To the EO Forum!

:EO:

#3 2012-06-02 01:38:21

gubi
Website

:EO: Welcome to the EO site from Southwestern Ontario.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2012-06-02 02:48:42

NaturesPace
Website

:welcome:

And congrats on you new chicks.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2012-06-02 03:45:10

Island Girl

:welcome: to our fun family here on this forum. It sounds like you have a good start to a wonderful flock of assorted chooks. You will enjoy the inquisitive nature of the EOs I'm sure.

#6 2012-06-02 12:15:31

Susan
Administrator

Welcome! Nice little assortment of birds you have! You will love your EOs for sure. It will be nice to come home and have them run up to greet you :)

#7 2012-06-02 12:36:39

poplar girl
Administrator

I am currently in awe of how crazy :Crazy: friendly young EOs are (and Ridley bronze turkeys as well for that matter). I guess I had forgotten what they were like since last year.  Most will run, fly, dive....whatever it takes to see me by about 4 weeks old, some from day 1. And the adults too!  I have had a few people come and visit the past week and every one of them just drops their jaw when they see how these EOs behave...like puppies!!

So....you will love your new chicks, I have no doubt as :EO:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2012-06-02 17:51:23

northmountaingal

:thanks:

Now if I can just succeed in getting a couple of nice photos while they are fluffy and little!

2 Australian Cattle Dogs, a gang of indoor kitties and a my coop of chickens makes for a happy household here on the North Mountain of Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley.

#9 2012-06-07 01:09:00

riverbendfarm
Website

Welcome aboard Northmountaingal! I'm guessing you got your EO's from Jamie in Plympton? That was where mine came from and I'm in love with them. They are a hit for the whole family. We recently got 2 black Penedesencas from him as well, the adult pair, and I have a hatch of 10 of her eggs setting for a week now, beautiful birds! She lays the most delicious big chocolate brown eggs, about 5-6 a week! We also hatched out a bunch of partridge rocks and buff orpingtons, and the difference between all of the other birds and the EO's is amazing. The EO's are pets and come to us for treats and visits all the time. The Black Pennies are super shy and dislike being handled or even when I enter their coop. They (the EO's) are the "babies" while all the others are food LOL! Downside: you can't eat your babies...

Get us some pics asap! (He says as he rifles through his photostream looking for the pics he promised weeks ago...)

:Canada:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#10 2012-06-07 01:11:50

riverbendfarm
Website

Did you say Silkie chicks? My son is DYING for a pair of Silkie Bantams...maybe we can make a deal? I could drive to you to get them if you had any for sale...I just live on the South Shore near Bridgewater.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#11 2012-06-07 01:28:30

Flat Rock Farm

:welcome: NMG, I am sorry I just saw your post so I am a bit delayed in my welcome.  You will love the EO's :EO:

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

#12 2012-06-07 02:27:28

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:welcome: NMG.  I think I emailed you the day you joined and forgot to officially welcome you here! :cheer: Hope you love the site.  And the Eos :EO:

And those black pennies are very easy to eat, they are a  meat breed originally anyway!  We have finally got a handful of friendly chicks this year, in our 4th summer with them!  I know a lady from Ontario is moving to NS next year and she has BPs from 3 sources including me, and 2 in the US. I am hoping to get hatching eggs from her eventually.

#13 2012-06-07 13:08:20

Lisa

:welcome: to the forum! :EO:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#14 2012-06-07 14:52:47

northmountaingal

Wow, everyone has been so welcoming...I'm really glad to be a part of this forum!

I did get my EO's from Jamie. He was going to take these chicks with him to Ontario, but decided to sell them here. What a nice fellow...I really enjoyed meeting him and having the chance to acquire these chicks. I had to work the following 4 days (12 hours each) after I got them and could barely wait for days off so I could spend more time with them. They aren't running up to me yet, but hoping that will come with time. I'm really interested in their friendly reputation. Also hoping if I can figure it all out (and maybe with lots of advice) I can actually select a few of the best and try some careful breeding.

The 2 black pennies I got from Jamie are young...3 weeks difference in their ages...one is about seven weeks and the younger one about 4 weeks. Jamie thinks the older one is a female and the younger a male. I don't have a bloody clue, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I would love to someday have a bunch of their eggs setting. The chocolate brown eggs sound awesome to eat, too...even if I don't have any setting!

RiverBend Farm:And yes, I have Silkies for sale...haven't posted anything on kijiji but I do need to sell a few...I have  an overabundance of black ones...seems I get more black chicks than anything. Variety of ages...the first batch from late winter are actually outside in the dog kennel, running their toes through the grass...I think 2 black roos and a black hen...there's a partridge and 2 red hens as well but I may keep those...then I have some younger Silkie chicks in my sunporch in brooders. I am dreadful at sexing them! The 3-4 month olds outside are obvious, though.

#15 2012-06-07 15:55:46

northmountaingal

riverbendfarm: Here are 2 pics of the young black Silkie roo and 1 pic of his female partner. I didn't institute a strict breeding program with my Silkies (yet)...so you'll notice a hint of brown around their necks...some partridge colour there, I guess.

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii493/northmountaingal/008.jpg

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii493/northmountaingal/010-1.jpg

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii493/northmountaingal/013.jpg

#16 2012-06-07 20:25:31

riverbendfarm
Website

They look cool! Mostly they will be for pets. Can you contact me by email with prices and such and I'll arrange to come get them when you are ready. Nic doesn't particularly care what colour they are so we can take the ones you don't want. If possible I'd be interested in 2 hens and a roo, but if you need time to bring the hens along I can wait as I'm not in a huge rush. Zip me a note at chadmacphee@eastlink.ca

Looking forward to having them!

~Heraclitus

#17 2013-04-11 22:30:35

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

I'm guessing you got your EO's from Jamie in Plympton? That was where mine came from and I'm in love with them. They are a hit for the whole family. We recently got 2 black Penedesencas from him as well, the adult pair

I did get my EO's from Jamie. He was going to take these chicks with him to Ontario, but decided to sell them here. What a nice fellow...I really enjoyed meeting him and having the chance to acquire these chicks.

Hello to both of you. I am so glad that you are both enjoying these chickens so much. I loved them so much and miss them. But it makes me feel better to know that they went to people that appreciate them as much as I did.

Last edited by Hackmatack Ridge Farm (2013-04-12 01:59:18)

#18 2013-04-12 01:01:08

riverbendfarm
Website

Hi Jamie! So glad to see you on the forum. The chickens you gave us now number 26 with an addition of some from Wesley Metner in Wentworth, also from your line. I have a big hatch from FRF coming out in a week to give me more diversity. I have been hatching and hatching, but the girls just entered their first moult and have stopped laying. We are developing a community of eo owners here in Nova Scotia and we all thank you for our birds!

:thumbsup:

~Heraclitus

#19 2013-04-12 23:53:43

Qualicum Chick

dogs, parrots, chickens, ducks, husband ... not in order of importance! ;-)

Adverts

Board footer