Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-04 03:41:24

Island Girl

Crooked beaks - pics added

So my TPC are developing the crooked beaks that Claire said might happen. Not all of them but the few that are seem to be getting worse. I would like to try to trim them to ensure they are eating ok and maybe help line things up better. Not sure if this is the right thing to do or even how to go about it. Any suggestions would be awesome.

XOX Monika

Now that I think about it I think they were nick named TPC (Tiny Purple Chickens) not LPC  :duh:

Last edited by Island Girl (2012-06-04 03:54:38)

2012-06-04 03:41:24

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-04 11:13:44

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Crooked beaks - pics added

In my experience it does continue to get worse with time. We have culled two tiny purple chickens with it, one last year and one this year. I hope with the crosses I am doing this year I won't see any more.

I have never tried trimming their break but you would need to be very careful not to trim into living tissue or it will bleed like mad. And I doubt there is much for non living tissue on a bird that small.

To be honest my opinion is it is kinder to do them in before they have trouble eating etc. That said DH has done the deed for me as I am wimp.

Sorry about your babies Monika.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2012-06-04 12:14:07

Lindy Lou

I did have a GLW called Cross Stitch with that problem. We kept trimming her top beak so she could eat okay but you could never use her for breeding purposes. She did just fine and lived out with all the others.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2012-06-04 12:25:46

gubi
Website

I had a Welsummer years ago with one and she lived to be 5 years old, but she was a messy eater and drinker because of the beak and the top part of the beak ended up wearing the bottom part of the beak on the side which made it even harder for her to eat.  If I hatch one like that I would probably cull it now.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2012-06-05 03:29:41

Island Girl

Well I went ahead and tried to trim those beaks but it didn't work very well. They bled even though I just nipped a tiny bit off and it really didn't help align the upper and lower beaks. As much as I hate to culla chick that can still eat now I can see that it is getting really bad. I need to practise taking pictures with this tablet so maybe I can get some onto this thread.

XOX Monika

#6 2012-06-05 04:41:02

Island Girl

Chick#1
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 … 204327.jpg

Chick #2

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 … 204407.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 … 204401.jpg

If you look closely those are not feathers on the right side of the beak that is the lower beak itself

Last edited by Island Girl (2012-06-05 05:13:13)

#7 2012-06-05 11:21:56

poplar girl
Administrator

The first one perhaps doesn't look quite as crooked as the second? Did you help any to hatch? I have found that even though you can't see the crooked beak at the time of hatch mine that develop it have had trouble hatching without help thus if I had not have interfered nature would have culled them at hatching.

It is so sad to see and I know that's why Claire is planning to introduce some new blood.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2012-06-05 13:47:11

Island Girl

Hmmm, I never thought of that pg but I am sure that I did help a couple out. The more certain defects show up the more I am able to convince myself not to help anyone next time around. I need to start marking heads of chx with some kind of ink to help me remember these things.

Could you plse pictures added in my title. :thanks:

XOX Monika

#9 2012-06-06 02:51:36

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh Monika I'm sorry. They do look pretty off.  I have read about nail filing the beaks too so they don't get caught just on one side or in one position (or they will keep growing that way) , but these may always be a management issue.  If you are still not sure, file them so the beaks can pass one each side, and get an idea of weight and if they cheep and cry a lot or are super light/can feel keel bone, they are not going to thrive.      They are so cute too.

#10 2012-06-06 03:13:55

Island Girl

Claire I in no way feel that you have to say sorry my dear. I was and am so very pleased with these TPCs. Even hubby commented on how much character they have. He got me the new house for them. I want to find another line so that I can give breeding them a try. They are very dear, just like you and others have said. I do remember that you explained to me that crooked beaks and toes are an issue with the chicks. I was prepared for this, its just that asyou say they are so darn cute!

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer