Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-28 21:57:05

prairiedawns

Intro question...

When I get my EO chicks out of the incubator, my EE's will be 5 an 6 weeks old.  How long should I wait before I am able to fully integrate the chicks?  I have a portable run that is modified to inhibit little escape artists.  We will put that in the big pen for the chicks to get aquainted.  Just wondering when it would be safest to let them all be together?

Last edited by prairiedawns (2012-05-28 21:57:55)

2012-05-28 21:57:05

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-28 23:28:23

gubi
Website

Re: Intro question...

The longer you can wait the better.  The problem with that spread is that the older group is going on grower and the younger group should be still on starter.  I wouldn't do it before they are a month old.  Saying that I have had broodies raise chicks in my layer flock and I just put a little starter somewhere only the chicks could get too.  They basically got raised on pasture and had some laymash.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-05-29 00:06:32

prairiedawns

Ok, Thanks.  This is my first year with chickens, so everybody is small.  I was worried about the social aspect, and not even thinking about food.  :duh:

#4 2012-05-29 01:23:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The first year we had chickens we had 8 week olds and 5 weeks olds in early July, with only 3 weeks difference.  The 8 week olds picked on the 5 week olds and we housed them separately til labour day.  It depends on the breeds too, if the older bird are super docile, they may be fine at any age to mix.  If the older ones are a bossy breed, and the younger dociles/quiet like Dorkings, you many need to wait longer.  EEs can be rammy and the EOs assertive too, so are likely evenly matched. 

Sometimes I go by size too and when the smaller ones are 3/4 to 7/8th of the size of the bigger ones and they have a big enough area, that would work too.   I would say likely when the youngest are 6-8 weeks, so close to summers end. 

The more space they have to get away, the earlier you can try, just make sure you are around that day.  We have the older ones free range around the younger ones' run.  One the youngers are about 8 weeks, we open the door to their run in the day and the adventurous ones go out and over a few weeks they all go out and free range.  Very few of the big ones come into their run to start which works well.  Any time I do any big changes socially with the chickens I make sure I am around the next day to keep an eye on them.

#5 2012-05-29 03:03:07

Micah and Kiah

We have TWO ten week old Whyndottes (one hen, one roo), THREE seven week olds(barnevelder an 3 BRW one is a roo),  SIX 6 week olds (orphs and a BLRW at least one is a suspect roo), FOURTEEN 4 1/2 week olds,   TWENTY-ONE one week olds. 

I have each age group in a seperate area, partly due to the fact the older chicks are from Fur and Feathers and the quarentine isn't over until June 1.

When could I put chicks together and what groups would do best together?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#6 2012-05-29 06:37:55

prairiedawns

Thanks, SLF.  That was helpful too.  Side note:  I had almost all my EE chicks eating out of my hand today.  That was really fun!

#7 2012-05-29 11:44:25

poplar girl
Administrator

My strategy is to combine small numbers of older birds with larger numbers of younger birds either on neutral turf (a pen new to both groups) or on the younger birds turf.

As an example, next weekend as I will be combining 7, 6 weeks olds with about 25, 3-4 week olds. Or I might move the 3-4 week olds, wait one week, then put the older chicks in with them. Either way you want to knock the older ones down a peg and empower the little ones. I feed starter for longer (up to the older ones being about 8 weeks) if I have younger birds in the mix.

It does depend on what breeds and sexes you are combining. And I do watch closely for a couple days in case an intervention is needed.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2012-05-30 02:55:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I hope these answers help an are not too vague!  As you can see it's an art!  We have all tried different things and they work!  main things is keep a eye on them so on little chooky is left in danger or trouble and give them lots of space! :thumbs:

#9 2012-05-30 03:33:54

prairiedawns

My plan is to take about a week at integration time and do not much but sit with chickens...It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it!  Yah right!  I can hardly wait for a valid excuse to do what I am already doing!  ;)

#10 2012-05-31 02:32:51

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Great.  It is a tough job.  Don't leave the lawn chair where they can roost on it between visits or you may not want to sit in it after :sick:

#11 2012-06-01 04:37:01

prairiedawns

Who told you I parked a lawn chair in the brooder...have you been talking to my husband??  And besides, what's a little chicken poop...

#12 2012-06-01 11:48:32

Lisa

:funny:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#13 2012-06-01 16:31:14

NaturesPace
Website

i think one of our lawn chairs is now permanently for the chickens to perch on. pretty gross :sick:

the roos like to sit on it and crow.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#14 2012-06-02 00:40:16

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yeah they get stalactites on them :sick:

Adverts

Board footer