Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-17 00:54:54

Maggiesdad

I wonder...

One of my Australorp hens has been clogging up the nest boxes for the past three days, the other girls want to lay and she wants to stay. It gets pretty warm in there with the sun beating down on the shingle roof of the nest box, so I set a lined puppy carrier (Mitsy's) in a dark corner of the garage with four EO pullet eggs, two EOxJG(terminal - don't worry, purists!), and three of the australorps' eggs...

This evening, I lifted her out of the nest box and she puffed up like a blowfish. I smoothed her feathers back and told her what a sweet girl she was and took her to the garage. She settle right down on them!

Very focused... I wonder if she'll have what it takes. :chickout:

2012-05-17 00:54:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-17 01:01:49

Flat Rock Farm

Re: I wonder...

Well she has all the signs of a broody momma.  I hope she will be able to hatch them for you, it's worth a try :thumbsup:

#3 2012-05-17 01:12:52

Maggiesdad

When I lifted her out of the nest box early this morning, I walked her around and eased her back into the pen... she let go 3 jumbo eggs worth of poo! :shock:

I said to myself, "Self, that gal is dedicated!"

That what got the wheels turning for trying this. In all the reading I've done, I had glossed over the fact that Aussies make great broody mamas. Nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

I've got the bator running since Monday with 46 of the same kind of things that are under her. If she gives up I'll just toss them in like gubi does. :lol:

#4 2012-05-17 01:19:07

Flat Rock Farm

Yes beware of broody's, bomb of droppins when she gets off the nest for a break :sick: 

Sometimes if it's their first time going broody they might quit but lets hope she stays on them.  Nothing better than watching a hen and her chicks.

Hey how's Oddball, can you tell if it's a she or a he yet???

#5 2012-05-17 01:26:19

NaturesPace
Website

Oh that's great. Maggie is going to love watching mama take care of those chicks. Hope she sticks to it.

46 more eggs! Sounds like you are the dedicated broody!

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#6 2012-05-17 02:02:02

Maggiesdad

NaturesPace wrote:

46 more eggs! Sounds like you are the dedicated broody!

Yah, why not?! Knowing my luck they probly won't hatch anyway... or else all of them will hatch. :funny:

With my 19 yo Marine coming back tomorrow, I have to start hatchin NOW - cuz he's a meat and eggs kind of guy. ;)

Oh - I forgot to tell you guys - of the 12 Barred Rocks i got to replenish my laying flock, remember? Hand selected out of "STRAIGHT RUN" chicks?

I picked one pullet and 11 cockerels  :oops: :duh:

Some laying flock :whistle: So that's why I'm trying the australorps - no more chicks at the SS.

#7 2012-05-17 02:04:59

Maggiesdad

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Hey how's Oddball, can you tell if it's a she or a he yet???

No, I can't tell at all! :) It's really pretty tho.  I'll try to post pics of all 5 chooks soon - maybe you all can help. :please:

#8 2012-05-17 03:36:24

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh dear.  That's  lot of roast chicken this fall Glen! Yep, if they are going to be striped chicks always go for the dark ones with dark legs!   :net: 

We should be able to tell on oddball by now!  Hope she's a pretty hen, not another "roaster" :funny: 

Good lcuk with your broody! They make nice noises (and bad smells) you never get any other time.  :shock:

#9 2012-05-17 10:55:59

Maggiesdad

Well she put herself back in there after a 6am stretch!  :applause:

I'm not sure she is covering all 9 eggs, a couple were cool, the others toasty. I may pull the EOs out from under and toss them in the bator, to make it easier on her. I'm also not sure about the pine shavings she's in, they seem less than optimal.  Should she be nesting in straw(so the eggs don't sink down?)?

#10 2012-05-17 11:44:42

Flat Rock Farm

Oh my 11 cockerels yikes!!  They will taste good though :eat:

Glad she went back in to set on them after her stretch :thumbs:

I use pine shavings but mine are in a nest box where the space is quite tight.  Did you say you had her in Misty's crate??   Straw is good but I have found the hens like to scratch through it looking for any grains.

I have four broody's sitting, first my two frizzle cochins decided to set and then my black silkie decided to join in (three in a nest) :duh:  Then have a bantam EE's sitting as well, there will be chicks everywhere :hatch:

Yes pictures of Oddball, Wyandottes have such small combs they are hard to tell sometimes.  Can tell if the long narrow saddle feathers are coming in as well if it's old enough.  They must be about 8 weeks now??

Adverts

Board footer