Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-10 02:49:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Pair breeding, pros and cons and the first chicks

So my plan was to use pair breeding with my EO flock this year to better understand the genetics of my birds. I have 2 marraduna roosters and 4 hens that I will be experimenting with.

I must say things have not gone exactly as planned. I have learned a few things this spring.

First lesson is it is very difficult to obtain a substantial enough number of fertile eggs that are fresh (2 weeks or less) to actually end up with enough eggs and subsequently chicks to really test anything from a single pair.  They can turn off and on egg production at the worst times or crack every second egg you want to collect. Rearranging your birds, even if it is to a wonderful new coop of their own, can shut down egg production for a good two weeks.

As well, even if you think you know what the eggs from a specific hen look like such that you can pick them out from a group of brown eggs is NOT as easy as it sounds. You will end up with eggs that are questionable.

So with all of that In mind, today I removed the first 4 chicks from a pair mating from the incubator. Interestingly the chicks look a lot alike. Here are the chicks as well as their parents:
Wellington
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/67844249.jpg

Honey (not the most recent pic)
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/a03adcfc.png

Honey and Wellingtons sons and daughters:
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/6e7ad535.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/03993ce2.jpg

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-05-10 02:49:22

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-10 03:11:14

Susan
Administrator

Re: Pair breeding, pros and cons and the first chicks

Hey PG, is honey from BHR?

#3 2012-05-10 03:24:13

poplar girl
Administrator

Honey is from SLF with Curly as the papa. I only have 1 marraduna hen left from BHR, she is paired with the other roo (Adonis) also from BHR. Hopefully more pair mating results to follow over the next month...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-05-10 03:45:28

NaturesPace
Website

I like this idea. I have only one pullet, so looks like I will be doing that too this fall or next spring. =D

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2012-05-10 10:24:32

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

They do look similar.  :love:  It is great you are experimenting!  My Curly's babies have been very light and big (Blondie is the Mom and lays XL eggs) , it looks like I am going to get another roo like Sunny from last year from the single egg in the first hatch.  I just put all my roos out to the summer batch pen last night and will take pics of Sunny.  He is gorgeous!  I have to get him set up with a hen or two!  He looks a lot like the one in the body parts/breed standard thread even his comb is similar triangular though it is smaller.  Anyway I guess I have a pair pairing results to look at anyway with Curly-Blondie. 

I sold my entire second hatch of 15 EOs to someone who fell in love with them when she came for 24 black Pennies, as they adults were  plastered up against any run fence they could get to be near us and the chicks were all piling in around our hands with little necks outstretched to see us!  And they are in good hands. =D 

I have a flat of EOs to lock down tonight so will see what we got.  I marked them with various head dots, the last batch and it was Sonny Jims babies clamouring for attention they were mostly very solid yellow almost identical too, which is encouraging!  The two Moms look like like Honey too! 

Specky is throwing green legs in the pullets, with his 4 bright yellow legged hens, so I am likely going to take 2 hens out and leave him with either the goldy ones or the two millies ones and see what we get.  The two others can go to Sunny when we get housing set up, though he has white legs, so we'll see what we get.  Each pair of hens are like clones!

#6 2012-05-10 12:37:51

gubi
Website

Have you given any thought to trap nesting?  That way you could keep one rooster in with the hens and still know which hen the egg came from?  I'm also seeing all 4 leg colours on both sexes and big boy has white legs 4 hens have yellow legs and one has white legs.  Is it possible that leg colour in EO's is inherited differently?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2012-05-10 12:43:41

poplar girl
Administrator

I have thought of trap nesting but my issue is I am gone 11-12 hours a day 4 days a week. I have successfully used my wall cages as a form of trap nesting, put the hen in for the day let her out at night. My hens are used to the wall cages so it doesn't shut down egg production in general.

We should talk leg color in another thread....I believe with your combination in the breeding pen you can expect all 4 leg colors based on inheritance of the alleles we have discussed.

#8 2012-05-10 13:37:20

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We probably should do some test crosses with a parent recessive for a trait to see if the other parent bird is homo or heterozygous.

#9 2012-05-10 14:12:10

ipf

Gubi - VERY highly unlikely that leg colour inheritance is different in EOs.

#10 2012-05-10 22:31:59

Terra-Blue
Website

As always thanks for the wonderful education!  I will look forward to seeing these as they grow up.

Joni Johnson
Terra-Blue Pyrenean Shepherds
www.terra-blue.net

#11 2012-05-12 15:20:19

ChestnutRidge
Website

They do look very consistent!  How neat! :chickout: :pics:

#12 2012-05-12 15:55:14

Maggiesdad

Good points to remember in the OP, PG! I'm thinking now I  may hatch some pullet eggs in a month or so, just to see what happens. Then when when I knuckle down for serious work in the second year, I'll have my pairings and pair's quarters all lined up.

Adverts

Board footer