Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-07 16:57:31

Lindy Lou

Moral Dilemma

I'm absolutely sure that I have committed a huge sin but I opened the incubator this afternoon. I have 5 lively chicks bouncing around in there and 2 that were in trouble. One was dragging around the bottom half of it's shell and the other one was doing the same but bleeding. The other chicks keep pecking at them. I stood there helpless for what seemed to be an eternity but I knew I couldn't just let them die. Of course I probably have screwed up the chances of the others hatching, I had 15 that showed a good chance of hatching and 6 that were definately questionable. That left me with 5 hatched, 2 in trouble and 8 left to go. Most of the time I read that people only get a 50% hatch rate in a Hovabotor.
So what do you think.Did I blow this one completely? Will the two I took out survive? I'm quite worried about the one that was bleeding. It did seem to slow down once I got it away from the other chicks.
Any advise?

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-05-07 16:57:31

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-07 19:30:00

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Moral Dilemma

Oh boy that is a dilemma.  I know your not supposed to but I have helped many chicks, I have open my hovobator three time during my hatch and only had three that didn't hatch (looked liked they died around day 14), as long as the humidity didn't drop for too long they should still hatch IMO.
Well I have never had one that bled like that before, hard to say if they will survive Lynn, you know one day they look fine and the next day........not.  Sorry I can't give any word of wisdom, but hope the rest will hatch and the wee ones you took out will be fine.

#3 2012-05-07 20:20:21

Lindy Lou

Figures it would happen to me. Anyway they are in the brooder,heat lamp is at 100F, I popped their little beaks in water and they both drank. Both are breathing well and cheeping.Both have been up on their legs and have begun to fluff up. No more bleeding, Thank goodness.
Of course I will have to open the incubator again to get the other ones out,one has been hatched since yesterday morning so it is almost at 36 hours.
he humidity in the incubator is sitting around 70 and didn't drop much when I opened it so fingers crossed. Another egg has just pipped so I hope it will hatch okay or I'll be aiding and abetting again.:whistle:
I think it is almost impossible not to help them when you see this more little thing struggling.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2012-05-07 20:28:26

Flat Rock Farm

Well after I wrote the first reply I have a sizzle hatch, what looks like for lack of a better word "guts hanging out" the umbilical area.  It's cheeping, I could try tying it off with some thread but have never done that before :nervous:  So no Lynn $#@* happens not just to you, I am usually the one that gets the weird and wonderful stuff happen too :duh:

Also had to cull two EO chicks which have been hobbling around on their hocks since they hatched :stomp:

Last hatch is in the incubator and then I'm done for the season.  May try a few Sebie eggs though.

I think those babies will be just fine :thumbs:

#5 2012-05-07 20:39:47

Lindy Lou

Oh Cr.. Paula Not you too. This is probably my last hatch for the spring. I don't think my nerves can take anymore. It may be an idea to upgrade our incubator before attempting a hatch again. How anybody gets a 100% hatch rate is beyond me. I seem to have a battle getting 50%.
Anyway the two rescuees seem to be resting fine. I'm hoping that the one with the bleeding navel doesn't get any infection in there. Should I spray it with Bluekote or Polysporin or something?
How ever said keeping chickens was easy obviously hasn't been us. :whistle:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-05-07 20:41:33)

#6 2012-05-07 21:52:52

Flat Rock Farm

"How ever said keeping chickens was easy obviously hasn't been us."

AMEN!!!

Well you could try putting some Ploysporin but I am sure it will be fine.  The chick starter has some medication so not sure if that enough to fight off infection :huh:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-05-07 21:54:47)

#7 2012-05-07 23:42:06

gubi
Website

The very first chick hatched this year like that but it didn't make it.  Good thing yours are doing well.  I read that it is a sign of too high humidity so you opening up the bater shouldn't kill them.  When I have a whole lot of eggs hatching I take the chicks out every 12 hours or they will get trampled in there and 2 out of 3 hatches I did that without a problem but on my third I did shrink wrap some chicks.  The fan really dries things out so maybe if you have to open up quick unplug the bator first to shut off the fan so it doesn't blow the moist air out?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2012-05-07 23:48:00

Flat Rock Farm

Good suggestion gubi :thumbs:

#9 2012-05-08 01:15:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I have thought about turning the bator off too to stop the fan Stefan. 

That is a quandary Lynn, a tough decision.  I had my humidity sky high this last hatch, (condensation on the door) and had one with shell hanging off bum and the first bleeder, it stopped on it's own anyway, and I knew it was humidity too high.  The blood vessels don't dry out or wizen properly I'd bet.  I notice more had their fluff plastered down with goo as well.  I'll try and have it lower next time. 

Lynn the Brinsea Octagons with humidity pump look good for if you tend to need to open the bators.  See how you feel next January!  :doI?:

#10 2012-05-08 01:36:32

gubi
Website

Claire you were the one that gave me the idea at the breakfast.  I'm locked down right now so I will unplug it if I have to get chicks out.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#11 2012-05-08 02:09:34

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Good idea Stefan, well worth a try, as a minute of lower temp won't harm them that far along.  I'd probably still have a warm water sprayer handy, I get mine from the dollar store.

#12 2012-05-08 02:15:47

Micah and Kiah

It is very frustrating Lynn!  Sorry it didn't go smoother.  I've been searching for good hovabator advice.  We might drive up to Fenlon Falls Fur and Feather Auction(I will sit on my hands)  this Saturday to talk to the Hovabator rep.  The best advice I read talked about the uneven temperature distribution in the hova-bators and offers solutions.  I am coveting a new Brinsea model which at $700 is not in the budget, but a girl can dream!  It holds just 40 eggs but takes care of everything.
http://wcps.forumotion.ca/t4064-how-toh … ng-it-work

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer