Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-06-27 15:56:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hi from Skeffling Lavender Farm Wiarton, Ontario, Canada!

Hi there,
I have decided to set up this forum so we can share all we know about the Euskal Oiloa Basque Hens!  And help people find the birds or eggs they are looking for!  :jumping:

We've had these crazy friendly chickens since 2008 and we started with Partridge Chanteclers and Cuckoo Marans in 2007.  We had Basque 6 chicks total then!  I think we have mailed eggs to nearly every province in Canada this Spring!  I am so glad people love them as much as we do. :love:

We have a beautiful 100 acre hobby farm, where we homestead, up near Wiarton, Ontario, Canada. But it is up for sale (downsizing to an acre or two til we can build our dream farm), so we are down to about 50 chickens right now, 9 of them Marraduna Euskal Oiloa!  2 new pullet chicks!  I am excited to learn more about the genetics of these beauties and meet other like-minded chicken nuts!  There's something about friendly chickens that makes it all worthwhile! :thumbs:

2011-06-27 15:56:06

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-06-28 21:05:37

Susan
Administrator

Re: Hi from Skeffling Lavender Farm Wiarton, Ontario, Canada!

Hello! What a great looking site! My name is Susan, and I am also enamored with these beautiful birds. Last summer, (2010) I added two Euskal Oiloa pullets as a whim onto an existing order - I thought the name sounded interesting. Well it turned out I got a hen and a roo - and thank goodness! They quickly stole our hearts.  My daughter claimed them for her own and carried them everywhere. She named them (honestly!) "Sparkle" (roo) and "Sequin" (hen).  As we learned more about the breed, it was apparent that they are incredibly rare in Canada, and in fact the world. We knew we wanted more of these wonderful birds, so separated them in Feb of 2011 to start collecting eggs. Although I had just the one hen, she laid 6 out of 7 days faithfully. The first test hatch showed awesome fertility and so we began hatching for ourselves and for shipment across Canada. Skeff also sent us eggs. We still need new blood, and luckily (I think), I have found another roo who is not closely related to my flock - but is very light. Good barring, great size - but almost white. We now have about 25 EOs, with the first to hatch this year just about to start laying! I promised I would quit hatching birds, but may have to give the new roo a test run with the youngsters before the snow flies again!
As for the rest of our birds, I have a mixed heritage flock (well actually 4 flocks right now :oops: ) that I generally sell eating eggs from. I just love keeping poultry and it helps to pay their feed costs. We also have Saxony ducks, Ridley Bronze turkey poults and 2 Guineas and 4 mixed goslings :happycrowd" as for the other animals, that will have to be another post. =D

Last edited by Susan (2011-06-28 21:07:10)

#3 2011-06-29 21:06:16

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sounds like a full house!  :jumping: Gotta love poultry & hobby farming!

#4 2011-06-30 05:15:40

Skylinepoultry
Website

Howdy Everyone!
I made it! My name is James and I decided to add another breed to my collection in late 2010 and boy did I ever discover a wonderful breed indeed. My Euskal Oiloa Marraduna Basque have become my all time favorite breed. Along my journey and discovery of the Euskal Oiloa Ive met Claire with the same passion as mine with these wonderful birds. Im hoping to meet others with our passion and let this breed thrive across North America.
The forum is wonderful Claire! You have done such a wonderful job with everything!
HELLO TO ALL EUSKAL OILOA LOVERS!
Whats up susan. Man Im loving this!
:EO:

#5 2011-06-30 11:45:12

poplar girl
Administrator

Hi All! I will get all set up after work tonight...just setting up my profile this morning will make me late!

My husband and I have 46 acres in northern Alberta. I grew up in Saskatchewan on a farm so in alot of ways I am just back to my roots. Last year I fell hard for heritage breed chickens. This year I narrowed it down to three breeds: silver grey dorking, maraduna euskal oiloa and lavender d'uccles.

As for EOs, this is where I am currently with my little flock:
April SLF hatch:
5 pullets - one smaller solid red with yellow legs, 1 blond slate legs, 3 red-blond speckled with white legs.
Too many rooster (11?)  manyhave white legs and side sprigs. Two have potential for keeping.

May Sparkle/sequin hatch:
5 pullets all yellow legs, no side sprigs. Color varies (all speckled) from red blond to blond/grey to almost all grey
3 rooster all yellow legs no side sprigs.
These were less friendly as chicks than SLF but are equally friendly now.

Mid June hatch (1week) from Black Horse Ranch:
9 little EOs! And one chipmunk unknown. Can hardly wait to see them grow up!

I also purchased a trio of older birds (hatched from Black Horse Ranches birds) in Late May but my fella has some serious frost bite so I may not be able to keep him over the winter.

On that note, Day 7 in the incubator:
10 more eggs from BHR (mr. and mrs. were great about this whole me stalking them for eggs thing, these were my extras as they got worried the hatch rate on the first dozen may be low but it was just fine!)
AND 10 eggs (5 from each hen) from my new trio (origionally BHR)!

I will be selecting and keeping the best of these (now with the help of members of this forum!) and will rehome what I can of the rest and then :eat:

So anyway, very neat new forum and I look forward to meeting the members!

Edited to add...it has just occurred to me ALL of the breed of chickens I am raising started with eggs from Skefling Lavender Farm. To thanks Claire!

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-06-30 12:29:27)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2011-06-30 13:35:50

Susan
Administrator

Welcome James! So glad you found us here!  I'm very excited for this site and am looking forward to the knowledge and passion you will bring to it! Let's get the party started! :thumbsup:

#7 2011-06-30 13:48:09

Susan
Administrator

Welcome PG!! I'm so happy that you asked where the party was! I think this site will really help our beautiful EOs.  Wow, I'd say you've got the most diverse group of genes of anyone- way to go! Do you think the BHR roo is suffering? I would love to use him with some of mine and Claire's birds. Maybe I could take him over the winter if he's comfortable, but you are worried. I have warm coops that don't go below plus 7.

#8 2011-06-30 23:45:19

poplar girl
Administrator

Susan wrote:

Do you think the BHR roo is suffering? I would love to use him with some of mine and Claire's bird's Maybe I could take him over the winter if he's comfortable, but you are worried. I have warm coops that don't go below plus 7.

I don't believe he is suffering Susan but he is in a tractor on soft grass that I move to fresh soft grass every week. His feet do look terrible and i need to inspect them this weekend. My winter coop is small so space is a consideration but i keep it at about the same temperature as yours in the winter. Closer to fall we should talk as your suggestion is one to consider. And You should plan a road trip in my direction in August or early September anyway as Barring any diasters I will have some birds to share with you from the BHR line.

I promise to post some fresh picture of my EOs this weekend! I am getting so excited about them! For so few parent birds the genetic diversity is amazing.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2011-07-01 00:02:33

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:welcome: Everyone!  Looking forward to those pictures PG!  It will be neat to see the variations.  We have seen a fair few here.  Those new pics posted by Sebastopal on BYC should help a lot in the selection process.  Shoula see if I can post them here!

#10 2011-07-01 03:20:31

Skylinepoultry
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

:welcome: Everyone!  Looking forward to those pictures PG!  It will be neat to see the variations.  We have seen a fair few here.  Those new pics posted by Sebastopal on BYC should help a lot in the selection process.  Shoula see if I can post them here!

I agree!

#11 2011-07-01 03:21:50

Skylinepoultry
Website

poplar girl wrote:

Hi All! I will get all set up after work tonight...just setting up my profile this morning will make me late!

My husband and I have 46 acres in northern Alberta. I grew up in Saskatchewan on a farm so in alot of ways I am just back to my roots. Last year I fell hard for heritage breed chickens. This year I narrowed it down to three breeds: silver grey dorking, maraduna euskal oiloa and lavender d'uccles.

As for EOs, this is where I am currently with my little flock:
April SLF hatch:
5 pullets - one smaller solid red with yellow legs, 1 blond slate legs, 3 red-blond speckled with white legs.
Too many rooster (11?)  manyhave white legs and side sprigs. Two have potential for keeping.

May Sparkle/sequin hatch:
5 pullets all yellow legs, no side sprigs. Color varies (all speckled) from red blond to blond/grey to almost all grey
3 rooster all yellow legs no side sprigs.
These were less friendly as chicks than SLF but are equally friendly now.

Mid June hatch (1week) from Black Horse Ranch:
9 little EOs! And one chipmunk unknown. Can hardly wait to see them grow up!

I also purchased a trio of older birds (hatched from Black Horse Ranches birds) in Late May but my fella has some serious frost bite so I may not be able to keep him over the winter.

On that note, Day 7 in the incubator:
10 more eggs from BHR (mr. and mrs. were great about this whole me stalking them for eggs thing, these were my extras as they got worried the hatch rate on the first dozen may be low but it was just fine!)
AND 10 eggs (5 from each hen) from my new trio (origionally BHR)!

I will be selecting and keeping the best of these (now with the help of members of this forum!) and will rehome what I can of the rest and then :eat:

So anyway, very neat new forum and I look forward to meeting the members!

Edited to add...it has just occurred to me ALL of the breed of chickens I am raising started with eggs from Skefling Lavender Farm. To thanks Claire!

:welcome: poplar

#12 2011-07-01 18:01:35

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:lol: I love it PG. I just read your comment about all the breeds coming from me!   I certainly like em friendly!  Nothing like a chicken that perches on your :chook:

Adverts

Board footer