Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#76 2012-05-05 22:29:20

Micah and Kiah

Re: First Hatch of 2012

Oh no,  that is terrible new Paula! :hug: I'm so sorry to hear that!  Do you think that is what got the first one then too?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

2012-05-05 22:29:20

AdBot
Advertisements

#77 2012-05-05 23:57:34

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Well IG I don't think they act differently as ours all originated from PP anyway.  Well sad to say I lost TPC # 2, got home from work and a second one was dead.  Saw some bloody poops so am treating them all for cocci :stomp:

Oh sorry Paula, :hug:  they are just the right age.  Hope they are better soon. :)

#78 2012-05-06 00:07:55

Flat Rock Farm

Well the darn EO's like to perch on top of the water bottle and of course..........poop in the water.  I clean it out so often, but I am sure that is how the contracted it.  They are all on Neo-Chlor right now so hopefully I have no more keel over :banginghead:

I am getting very dishearten with my chickens, I found a huge gash on my Coronation Sussex hen, the rooster ripped this huge hole and I didn't see it until today as her wing covers it.  There is a patch of dead skin and it smells :sick: So I have had to separate her, clean it out with hibitane and spray it with an antibiotic spay and put some Tetracycline in her water.  I have lost one Cornie hen already this year and I don't want to loose her.

My bantam SLW went back to person I got them from as the two hens have ripped just about every feather off each other and the rooster looks like a frizzle.

Sorry just had to rant a bit, just gets me down sometimes as I really try hard to take care of them :(

#79 2012-05-06 00:52:52

gubi
Website

Sorry to hear that Paula.  My Wheaten Ameraucana hen was like your Coro hen before I put her in with my EO's.  I put a saddle on her which she of course managed to slide to the side most of the time leaving her cut exposed.  I put some Imbryn cream on her and she healed up much faster then I expected.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#80 2012-05-06 00:53:46

Lindy Lou

Boy do I know how you feel. I think my one and only Mahogany RIR has Marek's. She is unsteady on one leg which collaspese under her. She is still eating and drinking her vitamin water but I don't know if I should persever or just do the dirty deed now.
like Paula never had these problems with my commercial birds. i do everything I can to keep them safe and healthy and it does get very discouraging.:sad::huh::banginghead:
Until you see your EO chicks hatch :chickout:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#81 2012-05-06 01:18:07

Flat Rock Farm

Discouraging is putting it mildy, feels like I am loosing a battle.  Yes seeing a brooder full of beautiful babies does make up for it, but looking at them seem like I have two with leg problems AGAIN. :banginghead:  I hate culling chicks!!!
Just takes the wind out of your sails sometimes.

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-05-06 16:50:33)

#82 2012-05-06 02:37:43

Island Girl

Thanks Paula, its hard to keep it straight where all the chickens have come from. I just think back to my BLRWs and I found that the personalities of the hatchery birds were quite different than the birds bred around here. Thought maybe it would be similar with the TPCs. So sorry about #2, I feel your pain! I had to put down "Wideglide" my big roo from my Sept hatch from Claire. I am pretty sure its Mareks. Sucks all to heck! I couldn't stand to watch him falling over so just did the deed and got it over with. That leaves me with 1 roo , although he is the nicest one of the lot. I am praying nothing happens to him now. Hugs to you!

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2012-05-06 02:55:19)

#83 2012-05-06 08:01:35

Micah and Kiah

Wow.  I am so very sorry!  Each of you are going through some very disheartening times!  Paula, when I met you at the breakfast I thought you were so strong and confident in making decision that were best for the individual birds and the flock as a whole.  I have found this aspect of chicken farming very disheartening.  My husband grew up working hard on a very large dairy farm.  He tried to warn me that this is a side of farming that is inescapable. having a philosphy about it or reminding yourself of the reason you are farming can help some people. Dennis tells me that he had stoped being able to risk dreaming for a time.  People can talk about the cycles of life but that doesn't make the hurt stop. Platitudes don't help. We can comfort each other though and encourage each other. :hug:
As you know we had a few chicks pip and die.  Dennis opened the shells to find perfectly formed Partridge Chanties and we were so saddened that our novice errors cost us lovely members of our first flock.  We lost two chicks from our first hatch after they were in the brooder.  We didn't know them very long. One hadn't absorbed the yolk sac properly and the opening let bateria in.  My Little Pen was my only Black Pendesenca.  I was so thrilled with her contrasting black and white down.  She had a funny foot but we were working on it.  There must have been more than the foot wrong as when I let the brooder get too warm for a couple hours she was the only chick that was really affected. She died.  I didn't think I ever wanted to see a Black Penny again I felt so guilty.

At Fur and Feathers I was given a chick because the owner hoped I could help it back to health as my wee ones are in the house and at her place it would be one of many chooks in the barn.  I later found out from a friend that the sweet chick's problem was not fixable and it needed culled.

I've read everything I can get my hands on so that I can keep my chicks safe and well.  I drive myself, my hubby and Lynn crazy as I worry over the babes.  For example, I was rereading the warning signs of coci at around 2 am when my knee was paining me.  I decided I had better take a close look at their poo.  I hobbled down the stairs and didn't want to wake them so I didn't turn on the overhead light deciding I'd see fine with just the red heat light.  I leaned over the brooder and to my horror the poo was reddish!  I gasped and the chicks woke up and blinked at me sleepily. Oh no, lethargic, droopy chicks!  Redish poo!  I hobbled back upstairs and woke up Dennis.  He listened to me patiently and went downstairs to check out the chicks.  He though everything was fine!  I collected poo samples to take to the vet for analysis and finally fell asleep a worried mess. 
I felt silly in the morning and now reading what Paula's going through I feel quite stupid.

Today, I sat on the floor cuddling Lavender under my neck.  I don't know why but she likes to be cuddled under my chin against my neck. Lavender is my rather uncreative name for one of my Lavender Americanas. She had a little scratch on her eye.  Lynn showed me how to doctor her up and I so twice daily I put a dot of the polysporin eye ointment on her eye then cuddle her while she blinks. For once, instead of worryng or fussing, I just focused on how her soft pale yellow tickled my neck.  I listened as she cooed softly to me.  I sang to her and her hatch mates as I set her down in the brooder.  I stayed completely present in the moment with my little ones. Living in the moment is something I need to do more may be one of the secrets for managing the sad moments.
Hang in there each of you.  I'm sending you all hugs.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#84 2012-05-06 11:29:18

Flat Rock Farm

Wow, well thanks all. :hug:

Kathy I am for the most part what you saw when you met me, but some days when things all come to a point it's like your hitting a wall :banginghead:.  I am not new to this, have been keeping chickens almost 20 years but have always purchased day olds or started ready to lay "commercial" pullets.  Never had roosters so didn't have to deal with all that entails with having them.  I would get eggs from the hatchery and hatch them and put the roosters in the freezer (when we had a processor in the area ) and keep the hens for layers.
It's only been within the last couple of years that I wanted to try some "special" chicken breeds, before this I never had to deal with splayed legs, cocci and birds dropping dead for no apparent reason. :huh:

Thanks all, if I talk to DH he just starts to look at me like a deer in the headlights :shock:

Oh well new day, hope it's better than the past two :wine:

#85 2012-05-06 13:26:29

Lisa

Oh Paula, so sorry you have been wall-hitting!

Wishing you a better day today... :cheer:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#86 2012-05-06 13:54:41

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sounds like everyone is having a rough time.  Hugs to all.  :hug:  We have had times when we wanted to give up here, but then the thought of parting with my dear pets was even worse.  You can only do what you can do for them.  Experience tells you when you are more likely to lose one, and at what ages certain things happen.     Certainly sitting and watching them scratching around or cuddling them is a huge stress reliever.  Hopefully this will soon pass.

#87 2012-05-06 15:03:08

Lindy Lou

I wish I had something uplifting to say but.......I lost a RIR to what will probably be Marek's. Since keeping birds she will be my fourth so I'm try to keep that in perspective. so for the one I lost my first EO chick hatched and was waiting for me in the incubator this morning. I should be very excited about now but after being up till 4:30 this morning with a very sick and distraught Grandson (Chicken Pox got him) I'm too tired and mentally challenged to do much of anything.
Paula keep your chin up kid. You do everything you can to take care of your birds well and I know you do an excellent job. It's all just part of life's highs and lows.......:hug:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#88 2012-05-06 15:43:14

riverbendfarm
Website

Those little guys are AWESOME! My son wants me to get him some Silkie Bantam hatching eggs, but I don't see any on Kijiji around here. I have to keep looking. Congrats on your new babies! :chickout:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

Adverts

Board footer