Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-06 02:36:04

poplar girl
Administrator

Bzzzz....

My DH decided we should try beekeeping. I am quite unreasonably uncomfortable around bees so they are his bees and I have made no promises of assistance.

Today we went to pick them up. Two 1 kg pagages from New Zealand.  I survives a 2 hour car ride with them buzzing beside me and managed to take pictures of DH transferring them into their new home.

So far so good :thumbs:
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/3f10b8a1.jpg

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/3919f758.jpg

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-05-06 02:36:04

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-06 02:38:45

Island Girl

Re: Bzzzz....

Awesome!!!

XOX Monika

#3 2012-05-06 02:42:26

NaturesPace
Website

We are starting a hive this year too, if I get a swarm. I was going to buy some but the guy who is mentoring me said I should try to get a swarm. Keep us updated on how it is going.
Do you know if either of you are allergic to bee stings? Might be good to have an epi-pen on hand.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#4 2012-05-06 02:48:02

poplar girl
Administrator

Last year had we been set up we could have captured a swarm, this year we will be ready if the opportunity arises but we wanted to be assured of having some bees.

Both of us have been stung in the past with no major reaction but we are planning to buy and epi-pen just in case.

I am excited about the honey but not so much the bees themselves although I must admit they are very interesting.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-05-06 04:30:46

Prairie Chick

Thats awesome :cheer:

I was going to try this a few years ago but I think it will be easier for me to just buy fresh honey from a beekeeper not far from here.  I get the reward without the stings =D

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#6 2012-05-06 08:11:47

Micah and Kiah

Our 10 year plan is to focus on learning chicken farming for a few years then learn to bee farm and then find some milk sheep.  Our wee farm will be fruit and nut trees, a veggie garden, the horses, the chickens for eggs, bees for honey and beeswax, and the sheep for wool, milk and cheese. 

I'd love to hear more about how the bees work out for you!  Is it true that smoke makes them sleepy and easier to work around?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#7 2012-05-06 12:24:27

Maggiesdad

That's great, PG!  :congrats:

And with that outfit, he'll be able to go straight from the bees to a pen of adolescent EOs will no problem! :lol:

#8 2012-05-06 12:58:44

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Good for you PG.  The disadvantage of a swarm is they can we way less domesticated and have a tendancy to swarm from your hives too. By getting the bred bees you can have more idea of traits.  For example the bees I bought in the hive first are OK to work with, the those we got in nucs are way more docile.  You can always just replace the queen too with a bred one as she will influence what later generations are like.  Swarming bees can carry disease too but can often be very vigorous bees hence the need to swarm in the first place, lack of space in the hive.

Looks like you'll have fun there, you are in a great part of the world for good honey production.

#9 2012-05-06 15:17:23

poplar girl
Administrator

We thought to start some bred bees would be best as you say SLF. We hope both queens will survive (they looked good yesterday) but started with two hives just in case as we can consolidate the two if we need to.

In this area lots of farmers used to kept bees in the 50's and 60's but few overwintered them. One hive (the dandelion hive) has old comb from about 40 years ago to start from. We didn't think they would carry any disease or parasites or have a buildup of chemicals since they have not been used for so long. The other hive (blue daisy hive) has new plastic frames we purchased. So far the dandelion hive seems calmer but who knows it it has anything to do with the combs.

Adverts

Board footer