Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-01 01:25:37

Lisa

Old Sportsman - need advice....

H'Lo All!

So my DH decided to go shopping for my birthday at the Fur and Feather - and came home with an old 1466E Sportman incubator! :jumping:

We tested it out today - the three trays turn fine, and the fan and heater seem to be working fine.

It has vent holes in the back that are about an inch in diameter - they each have little covers. Does anybody know how many to keep open?

Also, it did not come with the plastic tray that goes in the top for water. Does anybody know how big that needs to be? And I know the original tray is used with wicks that look like the filters you put in humidifiers (honeycombed thingies). Are they necessary?

Thanks for any advice on making this baby go!!!!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2012-05-01 01:25:37

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-01 01:30:32

Lindy Lou

Re: Old Sportsman - need advice....

Can't be sure Lisa but if you go on line and check out the Sportsman site I bet you can download a manual from there. Could be worth a shot.
By the way Happy Birthday :happybday:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#3 2012-05-01 01:33:49

Susan
Administrator

:happybday: can't help, but what a nice present!!

#4 2012-05-01 01:51:20

gubi
Website

Eggciting!  Congrats and Happy Birthday!  I have no idea about the Sportsman but I'm sure Claire can help you out there. 

One of my partridge silkies hatched a silkie Spitz chick today.  She snuck one of her eggs in!  It is the cutest chick ever.  It has a chocolate brown body and a light brown head.  It would go really well with the Silkie Oiloa you and Helen picked up at the F&F from me. ;)

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2012-05-01 02:18:17

Prairie Chick

I would all depend on the humidity in your area.  Out here in Sask i keep all the holes closed and I have two wafers in the humidity tray at all times because it is usually pretty dry. 

You can buy the wafers at berryhill, 2 for $10 i believe

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#6 2012-05-01 02:19:44

Prairie Chick

I keep my humidity at about 50 % .....Oh and :happybday:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#7 2012-05-01 02:37:30

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:congrats: Lisa, let the fun begin.  :happybday:

OK so you need to go here, this is the generic GQF Sportsman manual, I haventl seen a 1466 E I don't think, (the ~66 may mean dedicated bator as mine is a 1266) does it have a hatching area in the bottom or do the shelves tilt right to the bottom?  If it has the space at the bottom for hatchin, the 1500 manuals may be more appropriate
https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/instructionscabinet.asp

I'll measure my trays (the length of them is the width between the aluminum lip at the top level, the width is about half that and the height 2-2.5 inches.  You could use a glad or ziploc tub the bigger low sided rectangles size.  I'll measure later, I have one straggler in the hatcher from the weekend.  We got 14 Chanties, 16 Black pennies, 7 Wheaten Ameras and one EO (I mailed eggs that week) and a Sumatra x WA  still in the bator. Not sure if it'll make it, I helped it out.  It was the only one.

#8 2012-05-01 02:39:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh I found it is cheaper to get humidifier wafers and cut them up to fit.  It was a big round one I cut into 3 or 4.

#9 2012-05-01 06:32:48

Island Girl

:congrats: on a new incubator, that is very exciting. I only have the smaller Brinsea incubators (for now). It sounds like you have the help you were looking for, isn't that one of the great things about this site? :happybday: too!

XOX Monika

#10 2012-05-01 11:33:58

Lisa

Thanks for the birthday wishes Everybody! You guys are the best.... :love:

Claire, it is a dedicated incubator - no room for a hatching tray at the bottom. But I figure we can either use the hovabator as a dedicated hatcher, or line the bottom tray with tinfoil and put it on the bottom (after stopping the turner) if there aren't any more loaded trays.

The tray bottoms look like hardware cloth. The fella that sold the 'bator to Doug said to just put egg cartons on the trays for the eggs - but I'm worried they'll get soggy. Would they work ok? The trays seem to have a serious tilt to them when they reach each side - I'm worried if the eggs aren't in something, they'll roll around too much.

I'll look for the big glad/ziploc plastic containers to use as a humidity tray - and I'd really appreciate the measurements if you are able to, once your stragglers are out.... =D Will let me know I'm in the right ballpark. (I'll probably end up buying a few sizes, just to be sure!)

Claire, do you use humidifier wafers or furnace wafers to make your hatching pads?

And what humidity do you aim for? I figure we are pretty close geographically (as these things go), so will aim for the same.

Now I want to rush out and buy all the bells and whistles - but will restrain myself until the budget allows.... :doI?:

Gubi, Congrats on the hatching chicks! The two babies that Helen and I picked up from you were extremely well behaved - they travelled around in my toque for the rest of the Fur and Feather (a little Silk-oiloa and a teeny splash silkie to go with the pair of splash I got from Stefan in the fall last year). They are in with the last batch of hatched eo's - the cross looks like the big sister of them all...

Stefan, you may get some business out of it! A bunch of people asked me where I got them.... =D

And thanks again guys for being excited for me! If anyone had told me 2 years ago that I'd be excited about getting a big machine that hatches birds as a birthday present, I'd have thought they were nuts... oh, wait.... =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#11 2012-05-01 12:13:07

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Happy Birthday Lisa!

:happybday:

I have one of the newer and one of the older model sportsman incubators.  LOVE THEM!  The tray that comes in the humidity kit is about $70.00 and comes with the pail, all hoses, try and pads.  I just bought one about 6 weeks ago.
I would have to measure to be sure but, the try is about 5 or 6 by 8 or 9 inches. 

http://www.berryhilllimited.com/b-cart/ … asp?cat=50

There is a photo of it on BerryHill's site.

Congrats!

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#12 2012-05-01 13:20:13

Helliefant

Oh Gubi, Gubi, Gubi...you do tempt me so..why do I like the weird ones?if its a girl let me know..I am going to have a pen for just the Funkies I have.
:happybday: Lisa..looking forward to seeing the incubator...the white rocks will be a good test hatch, and maybe some EO's as we know they are like popcorn no matter what..!!!:hatch:

#13 2012-05-01 15:56:34

Flat Rock Farm

Helliefant wrote:

Oh Gubi, Gubi, Gubi...you do tempt me so..why do I like the weird ones?if its a girl let me know..I am going to have a pen for just the Funkies I have.
:happybday: Lisa..looking forward to seeing the incubator...the white rocks will be a good test hatch, and maybe some EO's as we know they are like popcorn no matter what..!!!:hatch:

Helen you would love my sizzles then, they are funky and cute :love:  A silkiexspitz would be very cute!!

Nice birthday gift Lisa, :happybday:.  Now you are going to get into some serious trouble :whistle:

#14 2012-05-01 17:49:14

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Claire, it is a dedicated incubator - no room for a hatching tray at the bottom. But I figure we can either use the hovabator as a dedicated hatcher, or line the bottom tray with tinfoil and put it on the bottom (after stopping the turner) if there aren't any more loaded trays.

-Sounds like that will be fine.  So it may be closer to the 1500 model than the 1200s for specs and manuals.

The tray bottoms look like hardware cloth, they all do. The fella that sold the 'bator to Doug said to just put egg cartons on the trays for the eggs - but I'm worried they'll get soggy. Would they work ok? The trays seem to have a serious tilt to them when they reach each side - I'm worried if the eggs aren't in something, they'll roll around too much.

-I just used cardboard flats in min and they held up fine.  Nobody fell out either, they need to be in a tray for sure. The plastic flats are horrible to clean the green chicken cement and eggshell mache from the bottom of the wells, better to dispose of the card board. 

I'll look for the big glad/ziploc plastic containers to use as a humidity tray - and I'd really appreciate the measurements if you are able to, once your stragglers are out.... =D Will let me know I'm in the right ballpark. (I'll probably end up buying a few sizes, just to be sure!)

-EASY 8" LONG, BY 6" WIDE BY 3" HIGH, for max humidity you put one behind the other up to the fan.

Claire, do you use humidifier wafers or furnace wafers to make your hatching pads?

-You probably could use furnace, they just need to be papery, honey combed things.  We needed them at a pinch last year when we were hatching ducklings for a friend and Nathan got them from the hardware store but ours were humidifier ones.  The ones from Berryhill aren't that much and you can use brand new sponges too.  Anything to increase surface area.

And what humidity do you aim for? I figure we are pretty close geographically (as these things go), so will aim for the same.

-mmm fog on the door... I think it'll be too high for the banty eggs.  That's 2 full water containers and one 8" wafer.  I have a Flukers hygrometer for terrariums, and they are #$10 on ebay and have velcro stickies ang you put them just in the door, well the 4 I had went with the bators I sold.  I ned to order more.

-I am doing 5-7 days dry in the middle somewhere to get the air cells bigger, they were huge on the broody eggs I candled last year and I realized our past hatches were too wet no matter what the readings said.

Adverts

Board footer