Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-01 01:33:59

riverbendfarm
Website

Hello From Baker Settlement, Nova Scotia!

:Canada:

We just recently moved to our dream 10.5 acres on the West Lahave River. My first livestock purchase was 7 EO chicks from Hackmatack Ridge Farm, and they were an instant huge hit at our farm. I stumbled across them on Kijiji and couldn't resist. =) My 3 children ages 15, 12, and 9 are loving these friendly and comical birds! I plan to selective breed to try to close the gap to the breed standard in the near future, but my chicks are only 5 weeks old. I think I have 4 roos and 3 hens. The problem now becomes which roo gets the girls and which ones get sold? (I would butcher and fatten them but the children have them all named and the golden rule is: "If it has a name is is NOT to be eaten!" Next batch gets NO NAMES until I sort them LOL! 

I really appreciated the work you all have done on putting together a standard for us to read and think about. The colour and conformation of these birds is tricky for a novice like me! I will post some pics when I can of the birds and hopefully we can discuss which boys need to go and which fella wins the harem. This forum looks to be packed with helpful info and friendly people!

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

2012-05-01 01:33:59

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-01 01:56:22

gubi
Website

Re: Hello From Baker Settlement, Nova Scotia!

:welcome: :EO: rules can be rewritten can't they?  The EO's taste great.  When my kids ask why we hatch so many EO chicks I tell them so we can eat lots of EO roosters.  My kids are 5, 7 and 8.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-05-01 01:59:07

Susan
Administrator

Welcome!! Glad you could join us. I have also  become very careful about who to name. Good luck to you!

#4 2012-05-01 02:08:54

Prairie Chick

:welcome:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#5 2012-05-01 02:27:12

NaturesPace
Website

:welcome: and congrats on the new homestead. Glad the EOs are a hit, we all knew they would be.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#6 2012-05-01 02:45:54

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: they are amazing aren't they? I had almost forgotten how friendly they are as chicks but I have a 9 day old that loves to climb my arm to sleep on my shoulder, hoping its a pullet!

I am glad you have found the site informative so far and look forward to pictures!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2012-05-01 02:54:14

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hi Riverbend farm, welcome. :welcome:  Aren't the EOs awesome?  The past few weeks, I have been spoilt with 2 brooders full with more EOs and some of the flightier black Penedesencas.  The Penedesencas are friendlier for being in with the EOs.  I have a freshly hacthed brooder full of partidge chanteclers and black pannies and only one EO and , every time I go near the box they scatter, and the EO groups were stretching their necks to see me before.  It is light night and day! 

Your problem with wonderign who to keep is one of the main reasons I set the forum up.  Poplar Girl was the driving force behind the standard and she did a great job of coaxing us!   These birds are nw to North America with very little translated from Basque to English, so I figuring a group effort would work better, and I knew it'd be fun to hang out with others who like friendly chooks! :thumbs:

I hope you like the site, sounds like you'll fit right in.  Ask if you need anything at all. I hope you enjoy your new life on the farm, there really is nothing like it, especially when you have dreamed of it for years.  :applause:

#8 2012-05-01 04:15:31

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#9 2012-05-01 06:40:26

Island Girl

:welcome: riverbendfarm. You are living my dream, enjoy it! I think your first livestock purchase was a wonderful choice. Can't wait to hear more about how things progress for you on the farm. There are many people here with a lot of experience and are very helpful about many things.

XOX Monika

#10 2012-05-01 11:36:43

Lisa

:welcome: to the forum!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#11 2012-05-01 11:47:09

Maggiesdad

:welcome: and :congrats:  :jumping:

#12 2012-05-01 12:14:26

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:welcome: from Waterloo Ontario

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#13 2012-05-01 12:44:58

Amblecroft
Website

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#14 2012-05-01 16:03:26

Flat Rock Farm

riverbendfarm........ :hi: and :welcome:  Glad to hear you are enjoying the EO's they are truly a unique breed :thumbsup:

:EO:

Adverts

Board footer