Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-03-22 00:05:25

poplar girl
Administrator

Broody d'uccles, advice wanted

So I just got home a few hours ago. I think I took ten years off the neighbours lives with them stressing over my chickens the past two weeks while we were away :oops:. They lost one (sorry Susan 1 less gorria hen to bring to you :(), she was just dead one morning.  I have no idea what happened to her but everyone else seems healthy so I suspect it had nothing to do with the care they provided.

The problem is my lovely little d'uccles. I have a lavender trio and the two girls have been on strike for two months. Not broody, just on strike. And there was no eggs ever the past 2 weeks. Little beggars!

My other group is a lavender roo, 2 split black girls and a little lavender pullet. Rose, the lav pullet layed her first egg about 3 weeks ago. Never have I seen an egg so small but they have gotten bigger. When I left the split black girls were laying like crazy. The neighbours were going to start setting eggs aside about a week ago so I could start incubating as soon as I got home. Well NO JOKE they both quite cold turkey a week ago 1 day apart (they are sisters).  I open the nest box today and I find two split black girls and Ozzie the rooster all in the nest box sitting on Rose's little egg from today. The girls have plucked their bellies bare and even Ozzie is willing to help incubate eggs!! None of the three would budge for anything.

So of 5 female d'uccles only one is laying eggs. None of my EOs have fertile eggs right now as I kept the roosters separate for my vacation as they agitate the neighbours.

And I promised my DH next time we had a broody hen I would let her sit :chairhide:

So how do I keep the broody d'uccles setting for the next 6 days or so until I can collect some of Rose's eggs for them to incubate? I hate incubating pullet eggs but I fear Rose will probably stop laying when I am ready for her to start so I am willing to try it. Should I give them some infertile large eggs or just keep stealing Rose's eggs and trust they will stay on the nest even without eggs?

Can Ozzie stay with the broody girls and help them incubate the eggs? He looks so cute and excited sitting on top of them trying to help, I think he will be a very good papa...

I SO knew this was going to happen when I was ready to incubate :duh:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-03-22 00:05:25

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-03-22 00:58:22

Susan
Administrator

Re: Broody d'uccles, advice wanted

If they are serious , they'll wait. Keep taking them out. Then in a few days give them back their cache! They'll be happy! Hopefully he 'll quit thoug lol. Glad you are home safe wand sound. I'm sorry about your one hen. These things happen.

#3 2012-03-22 02:52:03

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sorry about your hen, we lost a balck penny roo yesterday.  Hes was getting on and I figure mated more in his lifetime than any chicken we have had, he kept 9 big hens fertile!

I agree on the D'Uccles, they'll keep setting, specially if they have plucked themselves bald hot little tummies! :shock:   My Chanties have done that and have been broody 4 or 5 weeks now.  Last summer, one was broody for months, and did the 2 hatches and about another month or broody sitting continuously.  What is sweet  now is that when I steal their eggs too slowly, they try and roll my hand right under them with their beaks like it's an egg that rolled out.  They are learning to hide eggs under their wings and further back too, now the naughty girls.  I think D'Uccles make the cutest mothers and they are good ones! I'd leave the roo I there for now.  It's more likely to disturb and upset them if you take him out.

#4 2012-03-22 15:25:31

poplar girl
Administrator

Ok :thanks: Claire and Susan! I am going to collect about 6 eggs than let them sit.

I have to get a picture of Ozzie "helping" sit on the eggs. Because he is purple and they are black it is easy to see him. He actually sits mostly on top of the black girls....has no idea what he is doing but he is SO content to sit there with them. They let me reach under them no problem so I think will be very even tempered to deal with.

Rose thinks they are all annoying and :Crazy: and only goes in the nest box long enough to lay an egg.

If they successfully hatch chicks I know this will mean they are out of production for quite awhile but I promised DH.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-03-22 15:32:57

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

No worries here in the production if it's behind.  Violet was 10 weeks to the day with her last and first eggs laid but she was done with her baby by about 4 or 5 weeks so I put him in with the incubabies.  The picture of her on my head was her getting away form him when I open the door to her pen.   She was a good Mom, I just I'd spare her.  That was over 2 years ago and she hasn't gone broody since!  Good luck!

#6 2012-04-04 12:00:44

poplar girl
Administrator

Time for an update! Rose laid 2 eggs and then she went broody to, she is only about 8 months old and this was her first go at laying eggs. For lack of any other d'uccle eggs to give the three broody girls I put Rose's two eggs under them.

All three are sitting tight. I candled the eggs at one week and only one of two was fertile so now the three are down to 1 egg.

Here is Rose on one of her brief turns off the nest. She walks around bucking with her wings out whenever she is not on the egg.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/672509ae.jpg

And this is one of the two black d'uccles on the egg.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/640ece97.jpg

My plan is to move Ozzie and the two black girls out when I get back from Easter if the egg still looks good at that point. Rose can stay with her egg and try to hatch it, I am hoping the other two will stop sitting and start laying eggs again!

#7 2012-04-04 12:50:53

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

How sweet, they are really adorable.  They are incessant little "buckers" too aren't they!

#8 2012-04-05 14:51:00

NaturesPace
Website

Sure hope that egg hatches for her. Such sweet faces.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#9 2012-04-10 03:39:30

poplar girl
Administrator

Well it seems the new little life in Rose's egg quite somewhere along the way as today should be day 14 and there isn't enough development for that :(

To avoid disappointing the 3 very dedicated girls, I gave them 3 EOs eggs from the incubator tonight, the surrogate eggs are at day 10. I hope they are up to the challenge of hatching my three precious EOs!

#10 2012-04-10 14:06:20

Susan
Administrator

I bet they will be great PG! It's so nice to let them finish the process! I think letting them be moms is awesome!

#11 2012-04-10 16:59:56

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

=D Lucky D'Uccles.  I do feel a bit mean keeping all my babies here (still in the house too) :whistle: when I have 4 broody wannabees in the barn :doI?:  But I am loving them.  Officially all three lines are equally as friendly.

#12 2012-04-15 14:49:42

poplar girl
Administrator

Okay so this coming Thursday is hatch day. I still have the 3 broody hens and Ozzie together. The three EO eggs looked good 2 days ago when I candled them. All three mommas are sitting tight and seem to be working together.

Some more advice wanted...
Can I leave everyone together for the hatch? I am short space right now (2 inches of snow on the ground again and -5*C, supposed to be cold all week) as I can't use my tractors or summer coops yet. If I need to separate what is best, remove Ozzie? Also remove 1 or 2 of the moms?

I have a clear Rubbermaid container that I planned to cut a couple chick-sized holes in and put the chick starter and water in, does that sound like a good idea?

Should they be okay without a heat lamp or ecoGlow? The room temperature where they are stays at about 12*C or warmer with no drafts. I could put the EcoGlow 20 against one wall inside the Rubbermaid if need be I think.

#13 2012-04-15 17:45:51

Prairie Chick

The best advice i can give you is........

When your D'Uccles start laying again, collect all eggs and send them to me =D :funny:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#14 2012-04-15 18:28:20

gubi
Website

I have left them together and they are fine most of the time.  I did have once 3 silkie broodies hatch Spitz and silkie chicks and they did not accept the spitz chicks only the silkie chicks.  I ended up taking the Spitz chicks and putting them into the brooder.  I don't know why?  I have raised or better said had silkie raise Spitz chicks many times and all the other times they were fine.  My silkie roosters are great dads and look after the chicks even after their mothers start to lay eggs again.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#15 2012-04-15 19:32:40

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I've never had  a roo in with the chicks, but I honestly think you could just keep a very close eye on them and see how they do.  D'Uccles are not inherently evil so you should be OK IMO.  I have had 2 pairs of broodies now (one partridge chanty and one pair of lav Amers) co-mom well too.  I honestly think it helps if the two are are the same breed.  I think then it is a "greater good scenario" rather than claiming the babies for their own breed.

I don't think they need heat if they have a Mom. Maybe if it was -25!

Exciting.... :jumping: I can't wait to hear how it goes! and see :pics:

#16 2012-04-16 01:56:44

debbiej

OMG that little Lavender d'uccle is too adorable,  I must have one

#17 2012-04-16 01:58:16

poplar girl
Administrator

EVERYONE must have one debbieJ....they are even more fun in the feather ;)

#18 2012-04-16 02:11:42

NaturesPace
Website

Can't wait to see the whole group of them with the babies. :pics:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#19 2012-04-16 02:28:53

Susan
Administrator

All good advice. Watch them. They will tell you what they can do. Sometimes, we don't give them enough credit. OncE you know, they can hatch many more clutches for you. :)

#20 2012-04-21 01:12:04

poplar girl
Administrator

My d'uccles are the proud mommas of 2 fuzzy little EOs so far....they are holding out for the third egg but I am getting worried it might not hatch. Without bothering them too much, here is their first family photo.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/52a13e91.jpg

Rose I will be moving out as she is a bit less dedicated than the two black girls, perhaps because she is younger. She will keep Ozzie company in a separate pen.

Next question, I have 5 more eggs due on Monday, do you think I could stick them in with these broody mommas and chicks? They will be 3 days apart.

#21 2012-04-21 01:27:03

gubi
Website

That would be tricky as the 3 day olds would be moving around a lot and the newly hatched chicks are not as mobile yet.  I have done it before.  EO chicks are quick from the start and should be OK.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#22 2012-04-21 01:58:53

Susan
Administrator

Tricky, but that's exactly what I did. Momma went from 6 to 46 and took them all!!

#23 2012-04-21 01:59:36

Susan
Administrator

Should say I had a heat lamp in there too as that is too many to fit under her!

#24 2012-04-29 17:35:07

poplar girl
Administrator

I am a terrible person...yesterday I stole their chicks and put them in with the 5 I hatched. I pretended I was a mongooose (in my mind) and chicknapped them :chairhide: My reason is simple and selfish...I need those black d'uccle mommas to lay me some eggs for hatching and sending to Ontario!

The moms are getting over their loss, they are finally up on the roost this morning. The babies are just fine with the other chicks and if not for the leg bands I wouldn't be able to tell who's who.

So now let's hope that I don't end up with a boat load of bad Karma as a result of my actions and the girls get back to laying eggs.

#25 2012-04-30 02:02:38

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I know what you mean it feels mean sometimes doesn't it.  Oh well they got to sit and don't have to worry about raising them now.  :doI?: Can't wait for some eggs :hatch:

Adverts

Board footer