Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2012-04-27 02:04:52

Maggiesdad

Re: New and amazing to we two newbies

I don't have a lot of experience, K&M, I've only hatched four different batches. But what I've noticed is that if they haven't made it out around 12 hrs after breaking the hole in the shell, they probably won't make it anyway.  The hatching process is a whole sequence of progressive and necessary changes to the chick, and us "helping" sometimes does more harm than good.

Here's hoping they can get it together!  :cheer: Come on chickies!

2012-04-27 02:04:52

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2012-04-27 02:10:48

Maggiesdad

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issue … _eggs.html

Here is a really good article on hatching. Mr. Schrider touches on hatching problems at the very end, in the paragraph "What Goes Wrong".

#28 2012-04-27 02:13:07

poplar girl
Administrator

Your plan to extract the hatche fuzzy bitts is a very good one!

I have mixed feelings about helping chicks hatch. Most of the time there is a very good reason they did not hatch themselves as MD said. Once in awhile you will help a perfectly healthy chick out. It is a tough decision and now I generally let nature take its course.

:congrats: on your babies so far!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#29 2012-04-27 03:47:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

That makes a lot of sense Glen, in the article about not helping.  It's good to know why.  I have helped the odd one when I know I have shrink wrapped them, and like PG says the odd one is fine but that's the minority.

I'm glad you have more hatched, and yes it is getting to be time for get the first ones out. I suspect the D'Uccles would have hatched by now. Being smallereggs,  they would have been chilled more than the larger eggs, that would have retained their heat better during the power outage.

#30 2012-04-27 04:28:05

Micah and Kiah

Photos from inside the incubator a few hours ago, sorry it is hard to see through the scratchy plexi-glass. the first photo shows  the wheaten chantie looking at the dead chick.  The second one is the pure wheaten still very wet.

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1060017.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1060013.jpg

We ran the warm air vaporizer in the closet sized bathroom for an hour before opening the incubator.  We had the brooder in there too so it was 90 degrees and steamy!   

After taking out the fluffy ones we quickly sprayed with warm water and locked down again.

We just  moved the dry fluffy ones so here is who is now in the brooder:

3 Partridge Chantecleurs  (two normal sized and one tiny fiesty one)  Fiesty wants to sleep standing up with her legs spread apart and her beak as point three of the little tripod. She is the first born.  The scarey thing is off her bottom and now it just looks like a big bump of unabsorbed stuff

1 Black Pendesenca  (she looks like a little penguin! She is the youngest in the brooder and was a little damp when we took her and her feet are still a little curled.  If they don't straighten I will make her toothpick braces and do physio with her, I know lots about physio now)
1 Wheaten Americana
1 Wheaten/PC mix  (the biggest and already trying to establish leadership!)

In the incubator one lavender is working her way out but we are still watching for 5!

No movement on the EO egg or the D'Uccles and since you guys said those three should be first...:sad:

Two PC and 1 lavender americana died on the way out of the shell. Each of them only pecked one hole then quit. Dennis decided took them out as they smelled.  He wanted to know what went wrong as the incubator hadn't been opened.  He has done a complete examination.  I don't know the results yet as I'm not speaking to him right now, he really didn't need to do the necropsys on my good cutting board in the kitchen  :sick:

So for our first try the count is 20 top quality fresh eggs, 16 fertile, at least 2 killed by the power outage takes the count down to 14, three die trying to hatch so 11...no EO yet so 10...

6 in the brooder and  4 in the incubator.  Will these late ones be ok?  I can see most of one lavender almost completely out and cheeping loudly but will the rest be ok?  Will they still come?

Maybe I am just really bad at this?:huh: 10 out of 20 :banginghead:

Last edited by Micah and Kiah (2012-04-27 07:37:28)

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#31 2012-04-27 09:46:10

gubi
Website

What kind of incubator do you have?  Most incubators don't come close to being able to hatch chicks like a broodie hen would.  My first hatch this year was less then 50% and my latest one was around 80%.  I have 2 hovabators.  The power outage could have had an effect on hatching too.  I hatch mine without water except at the end and have had better results since I do that.  I rarely see a chick pip and not get out of the eggs except last hatch where I took some out as the incubator was getting crowed and shrink wrapped the last few!  When I candle the eggs under a broodie their air sacs are way bigger then the eggs in the incubator even if I dry hatch.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#32 2012-04-27 11:55:01

Maggiesdad

All my hatches were 50% or less with the Miller Little Giant styrofoam incubator...

#33 2012-04-27 12:31:08

poplar girl
Administrator

It is true, most incubators are no substitute for a broody hen. It is always the hardest when they fully develop but then don't hatch but it is not uncommon. Both humidity and temperature are important. The best thing I have bought so far is a Brinsea Spot Check thermometer so now I know I have the temperature set right. With humidity it is more about the average humidity over the first 18 days and then the humidity at hatching.

Your last few eggs may not hatch but it is worth giving them some more time now that you have the hatchlings and dead eggs out.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#34 2012-04-27 14:36:50

Micah and Kiah

Our incubaqtor is a turbofan hova-bator.  It looks old and well used but I cleaned it VERY carefully.  I tried to do everything right...

I am quite sad.  Fiesty has died.  She was the chick trailing a long pink strand and when we got her out of the incubator we saw the large bump like she wasn't absorbing the egg's food properly.

Nothing new happening in the incubtor but we will leave the eggs in until Saturday.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#35 2012-04-27 14:57:14

poplar girl
Administrator

The only thing harder than fully developed and not hatching is hatching and then not making it. So sorry about Fiesty M&K :sad:

Adverts

Board footer