Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-02 00:15:43

Maggiesdad

Why are my girls so sideways?

I guess the word is "peckish".

The Round One girls do this long drawn out growl and grab me any where they can reach and don't let go! They just pull and twist and when my skin finally pops free it really smarts. If I grab their heads or bop them, the just squinch their eyes and do it again...  :(

2012-04-02 00:15:43

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-02 00:47:33

Lindy Lou

Re: Why are my girls so sideways?

Obviously you're just not talking to them nice enough.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#3 2012-04-02 01:06:13

Susan
Administrator

Weird! You look yummy? Try feeding them more.  :whistle:

#4 2012-04-02 01:15:08

poplar girl
Administrator

I have an EO hen that bites too MD. She doesn't growl as far as I remember.

Even worse (way worse) Welington has started to grab on and twist/bite.  Yesterday he grabbed my glove but when that got no reaction he went for my face and it left a bruise!!! DH says I need to start wearing safey glasses in the coop :( And if this continues...well that will be that.

I am thinking it is partially environment (although I haven't figured out what causes it) and part genetic so something to select against.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-04-02 01:39:05

Maggiesdad

LL -  :funny: Come back down here and sweet talk them for me.  :applause:

:oops:  edited for inappropriate content - my apologies...

PG - So it's not just a phase? I thought I remembered Claire saying they get cuddly again after they start to lay...

Last edited by Maggiesdad (2012-04-02 10:07:37)

#6 2012-04-02 01:44:25

Susan
Administrator

That is odd MD. I haben't encountered that. The girls are keen but not nasty. Not sure what to say.

#7 2012-04-02 02:12:59

Chrish

My do the same thing. some will bite and not let go. A few of the roosters do the same thing too I got in to a fight with one last knight one of the white ones bit me a few times so I smacked him across the head and that was it. He came at me all fluffed up and mad so I kept smacking him across the head a little harder each time till he stopped. Now when I go in to the pen he keeps is distance but lets me know hes not happy I'm there. We need a roast pan smiley LOL

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

#8 2012-04-02 11:04:48

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Most of mine don't do that, but the 4 pullets from last year in with Specky peck (and try to eat I think) my finger ends, they shrink back a bit if I peck then on the top of the head with my index finger, but I do have to watch them, they will ahve another go if they thing thye can get away with it.  They are very greedy and merciless beggers for food.  I am surprised they still do it, as they get no food or reward out of it and they are fairly smart. 

I am not sure what the growling and holding on for the females mean.  It may be to do with them reaching sexual maturity/frustration?  I have one of the two year old hens has been trying to grab another's neck as if to mate for the first time ever, Lynn like your duck and goose!  Specky and Blondie have never ever done this, Specky has never even danced at me, and all ours are treated the same, so I think part of it is genetic too. 

That fact yours are on the verge of POL and the type of holding/pecking I think you have  a chance of it passing as they mature more.  There definitely is a change in behaviour in many of the breeds we've had as they go through that.  More submission, squatting and generally tripping you up and being completely inert underfoot.

When the roosters do it, I think it is more likely a permanent thing unless you are putting them right.  Holding them down to the ground by their neck often takes the wind out of their sails, and I find with the uber friendly EOs, usually I only have to do that once or twice of on 3-4 occasions  over the course of  a few days or  a week and they stop.  There is the odd one (chanctecler) where I have to keep doing that every few months.  And I have been so mad with the one I have picked him up by the scruff of the neck,  which does work.  They do kick their feet and scream and look very shocked and almost embarrassed when put down, or even just after you hold the back of their neck more gently, you see them get the message.   They just need to know their place socially, some need a stronger message than others. 

For the ones that insist and won't submit, and won't stop doing it, I think those are the roos you are more likely to find flying at you or attacking as they are not getting the message they are NOT top dog.  I would say you try moving them out of the pens then back a few days later, so they drop in the pecking order is a kill-free option.  And we have often threatened the pot, freezer or table for ours, but have never had one yet that was so bad we had to, though that darn Chantecler may be living on borrowed time.

Certainly anything shiny, gold jewellery, painted toenails are fair game to the EOs and I have had an eyeball and teeth pecked with one on my knee (your Christina, Lynn).  They like to be near you then go oh, what's that....? Peck.  There is nothing malicious, just curiosity and I am sure chickens are hardwired to go for different coloured specks, dots and other things that could be shiny bugs, especially if it moves.  There is definitely a variation between individuals for this type of pecking, and I honestly think a lot of that is instincts which is probably impossible to train out of them completely.

Not sure if that helps, for now I'd keep correcting them, maybe even try holding the hens down like I described with the roos, as they could be trying to dominate you too and have been watching the boys, and just give it time.

#9 2012-04-27 02:35:37

Maggiesdad

I'm pleased to report that my girls are into their second dozen eggs and are back to their usual lovable selves. :thumbsup:

Guess it was just a point of lay thing...

#10 2012-04-27 03:30:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh good, that's what I thought!  Great! :EO:

#11 2012-04-27 03:36:14

Island Girl

I have a Gorria girl from my first hatch who has recently started challenging me when I go into the coop. She stretches her neck very long and then tries to peck at whatever she thinks she can. The first couple of times she did it I thought she was looking for food but nope its me she is after. If I step over the doorway to come in she comes at me. Now everytime I see her I force her to hunker down and then I pick her up and carry her backwards like a football under my arm. When I put her down I alway make her hunker down for me ... as I am the top roo/hen ... I tell her in my 'mad mama voice'! She does seem to be settling down a little, time will tell!!

XOX Monika

#12 2012-04-27 04:12:44

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It sounds like you are doing the right thing, what a naughty girl!

#13 2012-04-27 11:54:07

Flat Rock Farm

Glad to hear they have settled down for you, I have never noticed that with any of my hens :huh:  I had an araucana hen years ago that made an attempt at crowing :shock: it was hilarious!!

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-04-27 11:54:22)

#14 2012-04-27 11:56:35

Maggiesdad

Darned rebellious teenagers!  :stomp:

#15 2012-04-27 12:01:36

Flat Rock Farm

Maybe it's hormonal :chairhide:

Adverts

Board footer