Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-26 15:20:13

Island Girl

My very first Lavender d'uccle ...

has hatched, weeee. Its so tiny and purple and cute! I am so excited ... see Micah and Kiah ... I could do this over and over again and it is just as exciting as the first time. Just as nerve wracking as well and always something new to figure out. I sure hope that all the LDs hatch. I had given my silkie broody 4 of the 8 eggs that I received  from Claire and left the other 4 in the bator. So last nite when I saw a couple of pips in the incubator I thought I would go out and check her. She was on another nest!!!! :stomp: and the eggs were very cold. I brought them in and candled them, there was obvious movement in 2 of the 4 but so hard to see as the eggs are so full of chick. So I put them into the bator and now am sitting on pins and needles, again! :duh: What was my silkie thinking ... she has never ever done that before. I will give her back the chicks when they hatch but for now she is fired!! So now I have opened the bator to put those eggs in and once again this morning as there was blood everywhere. An EO had hatched out as well and oh my you would have thought I was doing another autopsy in the bator for all the blood. I have never had that happen before. The EO chick has quite an 'outie' on its belly button for now and that is where the blood came from. I actually thought it was dead when I removed it but it was just sound asleep! I didn't want to leave a dead chick in there. So there you have it, the 'bator has been opened twice ... I did mist the inside of the bator with warm water when I removed the 2 chicks so here is hoping that I have not shrink wrapped the rest!

XOX Monika

2012-04-26 15:20:13

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-26 15:42:15

Susan
Administrator

Re: My very first Lavender d'uccle ...

Good grief Monika! Are you sure you weren't meant to be a vet, lol! Congrats on the little purple fuzzy butt !!

#3 2012-04-26 15:47:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:shock:  Oh I hope it goes a bit smoother now Monika. Congrats on the first chicklets! :jumping:

#4 2012-04-26 16:54:37

Prairie Chick

:jumping: :congrats: on the D'Uccles, aren't they the cutest chicks ever!  Your chick with the outie should be fine, good luck with the rest of your hatch :cheer: .

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#5 2012-04-26 20:31:17

Flat Rock Farm

YAH Monika on your first tiny purple chick :cheer:  They are the cutest, mine are going through that ugly stage half fuzz and half feathers, seems I have two hens and a rooster.
Hope the rest of the hatch goes well :thumbsup:

#6 2012-04-26 22:36:22

Helliefant

:thumbs: good going!!!

#7 2012-04-27 00:37:23

gubi
Website

Congrats on the new chicks.  My very first EO to hatch this year had an outie too and there was blood all over the eggs.  He didn't make it lets hope yours will.  I read that those navels are a sign of high humidity at hatch so I think you should be OK after you opened the incubator but don't do it anymore. 
I had my silkie that was sitting on call eggs miss her nest on Sunday too.  I forgot to lock them up after chores and when I went back the next day she was in a different nest.  Lucky for us we had 4 out of 6 call ducklings still hatch yesterday but one fell out of the nest so we are down to 3.  They are in a secure barn now.  I was waiting on one more egg that I thought would still hatch so I left them in the nest.  I should have just given that egg to one of my other 5 broodies!  I had 6 spitzhauben chicks hatch from one broodie and one spitz so far from a second who is sitting on a mixed batch of eggs EO's Spitz and silkies today.  I gave all 7 to one and left the other sitting on her eggs.  I have an incubator full due this weekend and 3 more silkies with EO's, Spitz and Silkie eggs.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2012-04-27 02:01:29

Micah and Kiah

:congrats:  Wow!  You've had an exciting start to your hatch!  I sure hope my little purples get born.  Dennis is certian that the power outage killed them but I won't accept that until two days after hatch day, maybe they just need extra time.  Our first chick born is strong and fiesty but has a long pink string on it.  Dennis grew up on a dairy farm.  He says that is if was a calf he'd say it's intestine was out :nervous:

Kepp us up to date on your hatch! and remember to :pics:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer