Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-23 06:16:58

Island Girl

About Fruitloops ...

Firstly I need to say thank you to each and everyone of you for your support and prayers and suggestions! I had the good fortune of discussing my situation about Fruitloops with a poultry judge today and she ensured me that 1 dead chicken (be it my favorite) was not cause for concern. Even if another died.  Even if it was lets say the dreaded Mareks or some kind of respiratory disease. Everyone has these diseases 'more or less' or at least have been exposed somehow to most things. You know what they say if your bird breathes it has been exposed! Soooo long story short, Fruitloops ... even though 5 is not old for a bantie mutt she was a very determined broodie and it was probably a bit too much stress for her being broody/not eating properly and then me giving her a whole lot of chicks to care for. She was very thin and I never really noticed. They do fluff up so big and tough, sigh. BTW from now on my broodies will get a dish of food in with them in their nest. She was susceptible and not strong enough to fight 'it' off. The chicks will probably be better off for it now as they were right in there with her and no signs of illness. Now I will have to think about the whole can I sell/rehome these chicks when the time comes???? That will be another post. Thank you again all XOXOX

XOX Monika

2012-04-23 06:16:58

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-23 11:22:04

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: About Fruitloops ...

Good words of advice from that poultry judge and from you Monika. A few backyard people and the big factory farms beleive any illness in their chooks is unacceptable. I tend to beleive it is unavoidable. Chickens (turkeys too) that get a real life might get sick, it is the risk of not living in a bubble. And you are 100% right about Fruitloops, she was older and way stressed about being a mom.

Let's just hope the rest stay healthy. If it was mycoplasma (no guarantee it was at this point unless someone else gets sick) it will take a few weeks to be fairly certain no one else will come down with it.

You are a very smart, level headed lady Monika. Keep us posted.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2012-04-23 11:29:35

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Fruitloops sounds like she was well loved and will be missed.  Every bird and animal should be so lucky as to have a keeper like you.   We choose to give our birds, and animals, as good a life as possible.  With that will come some sickness and disease.  We do the best we can to cure them, but there are some times that we just can't fix everything.  Sorry for your loss Monika.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#4 2012-04-23 13:04:07

Susan
Administrator

:goodthread: couldn't agree more! I aspire to living outside the bubble- for me, my kids and animals! Life is too short to worry about the "what ifs". Play in the dirt, let the sun shine on you and live.

#5 2012-04-23 15:22:54

debbiej

Susan wrote:

:goodthread: couldn't agree more! I aspire to living outside the bubble- for me, my kids and animals! Life is too short to worry about the "what ifs". Play in the dirt, let the sun shine on you and live.

I agree with you Susan   :jumping:

#6 2012-04-23 17:35:23

Micah and Kiah

Well said everyone.  My heart goes out to you Island Girl.  I felt selfish for worrying over unhatched eggs when you were losing a dear friend. I'd like to copy Martin and Susan's words down for one of my Master's papers if you two are ok with me quoting you.  Just PM let me know.

Again, my condolences.  When we care for a life and it passes it really leaves an imprint on our lives.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#7 2012-04-23 20:03:23

Susan
Administrator

No problem M and K :)

#8 2012-04-23 20:23:31

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

I guess I'm Martin.  :whistle:

No problem with me at all.

Most folks know me as Bessie, my hubby is Mike!

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#9 2012-04-23 21:48:55

Lindy Lou

Well Bessie I have always said" You can call me what you like as long as it's not late for dinner" :whistle:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#10 2012-04-23 23:07:20

Maggiesdad

:eat:  did somebody say dinner?!

#11 2012-04-23 23:52:56

Prairie Chick

yes very good advice, as i always say...critters die and you are almost guaranteed that it will be your most favorite or your most expensive, murphy's law!

I am glad that you are feeling better about things today :hug:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#12 2012-04-24 00:51:38

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Monika, we learned a lot the year before last about illness in birds, it was painful, but I try not too worry as much as I did.  They carry many things (Mycoplasma is so contagious, it can live in the air up your nose for 24 hours!-that's why they make poultry vets  wait a  day between visits to consecutive big chicken farms), it is the good husbandry, feed, care, space and sunshine that keeps a flock on an even keel.  When moving them, extreme weather, social upsets in the flock and other stresses, that is when these things show up, though they were there silent all along.  You can only do your best to manage symptoms, look for patterns and head off more trouble where you can, and you are certainly doing that!  I am so sorry about Fruitloop.  It's always hard to lose the old favourites. :hug:

Adverts

Board footer