Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-23 06:38:43

Island Girl

And about my roo who died today ...

Susan Thank You!!! To all of you, again .. thank you. You offered advice and meds and prayers and support. Wow, you guys are great!! Not even sure if I want to meet you now cause in my minds eye you are all perfect and I don't want you to blow that image :funny: .... OK its late and my very odd sense of humor is setting in after a very long day!!  Seriously though, Susan called me long distance while in the middle of her busy day, trying to calm me down while making her family supper. She doesn't even know me, we have never met and yet she gives me this piece of her day to help me. I decided to open up my roo who dropped dead literally in front of me. I very carefully opened him up so not to severe anything. His liver looked great, other organs fine, even some fat on him. But under all those lovely (ewwww still warm :sick: ) organs was a pool of blood?????? So I sliced the membrane which kept his heart separate and carefully removed the heart. It was HUGE to me. It was nearly the size of one of the lobes of his liver and all mushy on the top part. Not at all like a firm shiny heart should look like. Back on the phone to Susan "Hey how's supper going, btw, this is what I found, blood gore more organ talk and then this is the heart condition!" We decided major heart failure. No I am not happy that he died, but thrilled that I could pin point this as close to a heart attack as I could imagine, given the sudden death and the autospy results. Yesterday I was just thinking how I needed to post a picture of this lovely roo as he was now even bigger than Wideglide and had just (last week) been smaller. I think that was part of his demise too, a really big growing spurt. I did take some pictures with my phone and will try to get them onto here. Have never done that with my phone before. If it doesn't work I will get them on with hubby's help tomorrow. He is in serious "I love you what can I do to make you feel better ... mode" What a sweetheart!! Anyhow, thank you again Susan for shipping me out the Tylan (just in case) and again for everyone else's help too!! XOXOX

XOX Monika

2012-04-23 06:38:43

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-23 11:13:05

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: And about my roo who died today ...

Wow Monika the chicken atopsie guru. I am so very glad you opened him up as it is comforting to know that it was his heart. Heart failure is every unlikely to be related to Fruitloops death which is very very good.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2012-04-23 11:35:46

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

First there was crop surgery and now this,  Good for you Monika!   I can feel how relieved you must be knowing that it was his heart that failed and not disease that caused his death.   Your hubby sounds like a real sweetheart.  You are a strong woman Monika.  You have been through so much lately and we are learning from your experiences.  Thank you so much for sharing this with us.  ((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#4 2012-04-23 12:01:54

Maggiesdad

+100 for Susan!

First hatch, don't know diddlysquat about hatching, eggs,or chickens in general, and a 7yo daughter looking up at me with big wet eyes saying "Daddy, do something!" - and Susan comes riding in on a white charger from CANADA! and talks us through it... :thanks:

Susan you are a gem!  http://vagunforum.net/images/smilies/hi.gif

And Monika, sorry for your loss, but glad it wasn't something contagious... :hug:

#5 2012-04-23 12:11:15

Flat Rock Farm

Kudos to everyone on this forum, what a great bunch :applause:

Monika I am glad you had the nerve to open him up to see what the problem was.  Poor fellow's heart couldn't keep up to his body, sounds like the broiler chickens if you keep them too long they keel over from heart attacks

Hoping you will get the Tylan and get them on the mend.  It does gets disheartening at times as I know from my own experiences but it will pass.  :hug:

#6 2012-04-23 12:50:48

Lisa

Monika, you are a terrifically brave woman! Roaring in your honour!

Sorry about your troubles, but pleased that the results are as good as they could have been. You're a great chicken mom.

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#7 2012-04-23 12:52:50

Susan
Administrator

I am sorry you lost him, but so happy you know why. It sure is tough love love, but an amazing learning opportunity to learn from our birds. You did an amazing job Monika! Hope you slept more peacefully last night. And it's always a pleasure to talk with you! Crisis or not. Give yourself more credit you are more than capable of dealing with whatever comes up!

#8 2012-04-23 23:59:27

Prairie Chick

So glad that Susan had the knowledge and took the time to share and comfort you threw this difficult time.  Also sorry for your loss Monika :hug:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#9 2012-04-24 00:37:25

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Monika, sorry about your roo.  I am so glad you had good help, and the guts to do the autopsy.  You know his heart may have been failing for a while and if he felt heavier and was bigger in the last week, he could have been retaining fluid, congesting his lungs too.  I hope the rest of the flock is OK now.

Adverts

Board footer