Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-08-03 16:19:58

Amblecroft
Website

Hello from Millbrook, Ontario

I just bought my first Euskal Oiloa chicks last week.  I bought 6 but one died within 12 hours.  But, I have 5 seemingly healthy and very fun chicks.  I don't know if they are males or females yet.  I'm not familiar enough with the breed to get a feel for their masculine and feminine characteristics so it will be a surprise.
Their picture is on my [url]Blog http://chaparralpack.blogspot.com[/url]

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

2011-08-03 16:19:58

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-03 16:55:06

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Hello from Millbrook, Ontario

:welcome: Amblecroft!

I checked the pictures on your blog, hard to tell what sex they are yet.  You will really enjoy this breed, they are a treasure to have (even the boys)!
Welcome to the site!
Paula

#3 2011-08-03 17:16:47

Susan
Administrator

Welcome :thumbsup:  amblecroft! You are in for a treat :EO:  Enjoy! And glad you could join us

#4 2011-08-03 17:35:00

Amblecroft
Website

Thanks for the welcome.  It is a rainy day here so I'm just amusing myself on the computer and came across this forum.  I am enjoying my chicks already and I would love to get some more. 

Unfortunately, while I was in France at the beginning of July my husband lost all my chickens to a weasel attack (over 2 nights).  We've never had any problems before and now the coop is tighter than Fort Knox now.  I've not been without chickens for decades so I was searching on Kijiji for some chicks.  I had known about the Basque Chickens from some research years ago but didn't think there were any in Canada.  I'm thrilled to have my babies and they are safe and sound in a playpen in the kitchen.

BTW, how do you pronounce "Euskal Oiloa"?  I have travelled through the Basque Region often (my favorite part of France) but don't speak any Basque.  On my last visit we stayed at a B&B with naked-necked chickens.  I wonder if they were the Basque?

Susan

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#5 2011-08-03 18:14:21

Susan
Administrator

How cool! I've never been "across the pond". I'd like to see the EOs in spain someday!  Susan, I say YOU-ska. Oi-LO -a.  Enjoy your day off and you babies :)

#6 2011-08-03 18:30:07

gubi
Website

Welcome from Huron county.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2011-08-03 19:28:46

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

:welcome: Just out of curiosity who did you get them from.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#8 2011-08-03 20:03:44

reereechickens

Hi! Welcome!:welcome: Your chicks are soo cute!:thumbsup:

EO's have started laying! My EO flock: 4 hens 2 roos

#9 2011-08-03 20:31:03

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

H Amblecroft, Thanks for joining us!  I thought Millbrook sounded familiar.  I work over in Lindsay sometimes and have worked in Cobourg for months at a time.  I am excited for you, you will love these chickens, funny you had been interested in them for a while.  My oldest female is three and still laying very well, got 7 eggs in 8 days last week and now a broody is sitting on them!!  It is possible we may have extra chicks in about 3 weeks.  I guess we'll see.  2 more broodies are sitting on the other 3 hens eggs. :cheer:

I am sorry about your other hens.  :sad:  It seems things always happen when the poor dear husband is left in charge.  Strange you never had  a problem before though.  Those naked neck chickens could have been the Lepsoilas if their feathers were red!  enjoy the site, I am curious too who you got the chicks from too as there are very few of us with them in Ontario! :huh:

#10 2011-08-03 23:44:42

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: and congratulations on a the set of EO chicks that now own you (yes, I do mean it that way, EOs are very psessive of their owners!)

I am so worried something will happen to mine. Last winter at one point I actually considered just keeping all my chickens locked up for safety reasons come summer but I could never do it, chickens love to be outside!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2011-08-05 03:19:38

Lisa

Amblecroft,

:welcome: from outside Arthur! Enjoy the site...

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

Adverts

Board footer