Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-22 04:02:40

Micah and Kiah

Our first attempt for our flock

After last night's (actually very early this morning) attempt at candling I did more research and remade our candler.  Last spring we hatched 2 Jersey Giant eggs for a neighbor so we'd be ready to do well with our eggs this year. They didn't know the freshness of the eggs and some were very dirty so they were pleased with the results.  We raised the chicks for a few weeks and sent them home. We tried to raise some others for a neighbour but it was too hot were we put the incubator and I didn't know better.

Now we have our own special babies in the incubator all from Claire.  Five or six days ago, (I can't remember which, do you remember Lynn and Claire?) we had a wind storm and the hydro went out!  I was just a few days post knee surgury and so we were napping.  The poor eggs had their temperature dropping for two hours! :banginghead: When Dennis realized what happenned the temp was 82.  He hooked up the inverter and got things back to normal.  I'm afraid this cost us some little ones and I'l like your imput.

Hope this is the right spot for me to describe what we saw. Today is day 16, hatch day in six days.  Most of the eggs were dark, heavy, full with small air sacs.  That describes the 1 EO, the 1 Wheaten (I adored meeting these at Claires the hens kept making me chuckle), the 1 Black Penny, 1 little mix, the 3 lav americana and  8 Patridge Chanticleur. The one D'Uccle was three quarters full and seemed defined but Dennis said when he moved it he thought is was floaty.  I am really hoping it is ok! The other 5 (my only other D'Uccle and 4 PCs) looked very similar to each other. There was no bad smells so I am keeping all the eggs until one day past hatching in the hopes that I am wrong. The blackness was about the same size and was very floaty; floated around as the egg was gently turned. We attempted to photograph some of those but they are blurry:

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1050856.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1050855.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1050854.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1050851.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1050839.jpg

Am I right that these are dead?

I've contacted Claire so she knows about my error.  Thankfully she is willing to let me purchase some more eggs or chicks to help complete my pet flock. I have quite a list of wishes going now, I don't want any one type to be alone  so I've requested (at least I hope I did Claire!)  a few Black Pennies, a few D'Uccles, hopefully some Wheatens?, some Sumatra mix chicks and EOs (from Paula and Gubi too)

Won't that be a colourful pet heritage flock?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

2012-04-22 04:02:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-22 12:09:47

gubi
Website

Re: Our first attempt for our flock

I think 4 and 5 are infertile and 3 is one that died off.  1 and 2 I can't tell for sure.  Try candling from the fat end in and rotate on an angle. I look for veins mostly.  Fertile eggs will show some veining as soon as 3-4 days.   Infertile eggs you can see the yolk spinning freely if you gently rotate it.  Dead eggs have no veins left in them and have a solid black mass in them sometimes.  When in doubt leave them in. 

How many EO eggs would you like?  I could collect up to 2 dozen eggs if the girls don't go on strike like my Appenzeller Spitzhauben did!  I might also have some partridge silkie eggs available.  They are triple purpose.  Pets, broodie and eggs!  They lay lots of small light brown eggs when they are not broodie and are great setters and parents when they are broodie.

Edited to add:
We were without power for a couple of hours too and I got to try out the new generator. I'm glad to say it worked perfect!  I had the power off for about 30 minutes before I turned the generator on and did have a few quitters in this batch.  Not sure if it was because of that but I doubt it.  Broodie hens leave their nests too.  Your hatch will probably be delayed a bit because of the power outage but they should be fine.  Just because the air temperature dropped to 90 doesn't mean the eggs them selves cooled down that much!

Last edited by gubi (2012-04-22 12:14:30)

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-04-22 13:12:27

ChestnutRidge
Website

Broody hens get off of their eggs daily, so a few hours of cooling will do no harm.  New Brinsea incubators even have a daily cooling period built in to improve hatches.  Even if you had the power off overnight, it would most likely only delay your hatch by the same number of hours.

By day 16, your eggs should be mostly dark.  You should see the top of veins around the aircell.  When eggs are this far along, it is usually only possible to see by candling down through the aircell, from the wide top of the egg.

Day 16
http://scratchcradle.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/imgp2506ed.jpg

I put candling pictures for each day here: http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/reso … -pictures/
Good luck!  I hope you have a good hatch!  You are lucky to have all of those EO eggs available from different breeders up in :Canada:
:EO:

Last edited by ChestnutRidge (2012-04-22 13:13:51)

#4 2012-04-22 13:18:14

poplar girl
Administrator

By 16 days an egg with a live chick will be all black inside as it is full of chick. I candle the fat end where the air cell is and look for that line to be nice and crisp and clear where the chick ends and the airline starts. To me that means a live chick is most likely inside! Sometimes you can see them move.

About day 7 is the most interesting time to candle eggs as you can see veins and a little tiny chick body if the egg is developing.

It is tough to say from your pics but it is likely these are dead. Number two picture I am not 100% sure. Do you have some that are alive? It seems unlikely that a 2 hour power outage would kill them all.

You will get it figured out, lots of help and eggs out there in Ontario!!

Edited to add Chestnutridge is faster than me with some great advice and pictures :thumbs:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-04-22 15:53:40

Micah and Kiah

Thank you for the awesome advice.  We are fortunate that Dennis and I have such good people around us to ask.  Thankfully the bulk of the eggs (15) look great.  These other five don't have a bad oder so we will keep them in and see what happens.  We will try candling those five again today and this time I'll put the camera on a tripod.:thanks:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#6 2012-04-22 16:06:44

Lindy Lou

CR what wonderful candling pictures. Yours have to be the clearest I have seen. What are you candling with?

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

Adverts

Board footer