Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-21 03:38:14

Micah and Kiah

Hello from West Grey

We live on a little farm with our horses, 3 dogs and 4 cats. Our names are Dennis and Kathy.  I've always wanted to homestead and chickens seemed a great place to start but my better half took some convincing!  We now have 22 eggs in the incubator and hope they will all hatch in 7 days time.  We've been learning lots in the last few weeks.  We like rare heritage breeds that are friendly and dual purpose and I seem to have a preference for stunning colours and cuddly, affectionate birds.  Our eggs are all from Claire's stock.  There is one lonely Basque egg in there so if anyone has some more they could spare the incubator will be available in seven days :please:

How many seperate lines of EO are represented on this site?

We know we have LOTS to learn and we are greatful to find some nice people in the chicken world.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

2012-04-21 03:38:14

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-21 03:57:40

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Hello from West Grey

Hi welcome to the site both of you! I may have some EO eggs in time for the Fur and Feather!  Many of the EO birds came from Blondie and Speckled Jim you saw! There is another line from Black Horse Ranch in Alberta (bought form the same stock and Blondie and Specky) the same year-2008.  We are still find as time goes on the lines all over are getting more distinct.

Anyway, check out the site, ask any questions you need, and :EO:   Also there is a co-love as well, many EO owners have tiny purple chickens too....lavender D'Uccles, we like friendlies :love:

#3 2012-04-21 04:00:49

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: I certainly hope you have a great first hatch! Most of Claire's birds (possibly all?) are friendly adorable chooks. I have EOs and d'uccles from Claire and, well, :love:

There are two "root" sources for EOs that all the rest seem to come from. Claire's and a farm in Alberta (black horse ranch). They both trace back to one origionaly Canadian source. That said quite a few people are now several breeding generations into their own flock of EOs.

I'm sure someone close to you will have some EO eggs available in a week or two.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-04-21 04:19:33

Micah and Kiah

Thank you!  Claire sign me up for those eggs!  I loved that little EO couple, how much will their eggs be? How many should I buy?

I want my flock to be small enough that they can all be pets. How will I spot you at Fur and Feathers?  We've never been before!  I'm going to want to follow all of you around like a second grader after the big kids because I'm learning so much from this site!  I have to admitt though the health forum scares me, I start imagining terrible troubles for the little ones!  I haven't been brave enough to even candle the eggs yet after reading that sometimes eggs are dropped.  We are really going to try to candle tonight.

I am SO tempted to have my two little Lavender D'Uccles as house pets, when I met Claire's D'Uccles, I was smitten!  I couldn't believe chickens could be so friendly, funny, and bright!

And what breed was right beside them?  These amazing EOs!

Goodness I hope they hatch!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#5 2012-04-21 05:04:24

Island Girl

Hi guys, welcome to the forum, funny thing I've noticed about these friendly EOs ... they seem to take after their owners!! You are joining a wonderful bunch of people here. I too have EO roos and hens from a hatch of eggs from Claire from the fall and also from Susan on this site, who also got hers from Claire. I have chicks from Susan's eggs from just last week and I am expecting another hatch on Weds from Claire's eggs again. What can I say I am smitten. Oh and I also have some little purple chicken eggs in the bator from Claire too. :P  I am also getting some eggs from Black Horse Ranch next week. I hope to be incubating my own eggs next year. Its a wonderful learning process with lots of people here to help you on the way, read enablers here, lol!

XOX Monika

#6 2012-04-21 09:39:02

gubi
Website

:welcome: :EO: I'm just down in Walton in Huron County.  I would also have EO eggs available by the F & F.  My flock comes directly from Claire too.  I'm getting lots of eggs and hatched lots of chicks out so far.  The roosters taste great too and grow in a decent amount of time.  Wonderful dual purpose breed. 
I hope candling went well.  It is great to be able to see inside an egg to watch a chick develop.  White eggs are the easiest and you can really see everything easily in them.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2012-04-21 11:00:02

Maggiesdad

:welcome: You two!   :congrats: On starting your great chicken adventure!  :jumping:

#8 2012-04-21 11:22:32

Lisa

:welcome: to the forum! I'm just south of Arthur.

Hope your hatch is terrific - your stock comes from a great place. ;) Your story sounds similar to mine - I went to visit Claire thinking I was looking for one thing, and came home with an addiction to eo's and TPC's (tiny purple chickens).

I have EO's from Claire and Gubi, and eggs in the bator from Susan. My original birds are also producing babies of their own now.

I think many of us on this forum are trying to stretch out our genetic variability to the limit, which is challenging (because there isn't much!). Fortunately for us, the EO's don't seem to mind, and keep hatching anyway! =D

Don't stress over the health section - it's there if you need it.  :thumbs: Only suggestion I'd like to offer - you may want to think pro-actively about deterring mites (many of us use diatomaceous earth in the coops and dust baths), and whether you want to vaccinate your birds (may depend on where you live).

Enjoy the forum!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#9 2012-04-21 11:58:04

Flat Rock Farm

Kathy.....:welcome: to the EO forum.  I can collect some EO egg for you if you would like as well.  Can meet up with you at the breakfast after the F&F at the Post Time. :thumbsup:  Just let me know.
:EO:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-04-21 11:58:56)

#10 2012-04-21 12:49:06

Prairie Chick

:welcome:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#11 2012-04-21 13:18:04

Lindy Lou

Hi Kathy & Dennis. I'm so glad you found us here. I'm your neighbour from the other side of Durham, we spoke on Poultry Swap Ontario. This is the greatest group of people you could ever wish to meet. We share common interests,sense of humour . they are knowledgeable, helpful and just great to know. We try to get together as much as we can for breakfast, dinner, bar-b-ques and even road trips to the States to visit some of our EO members in Virginia.
I also have EO's and I just recently joined the I have Lavender D'Uccles too club. I will be going to the Fur & Feather next Sunday and plan to be there by 7:30. We usually arrange to meet by the main agte or you can meet up with us at the Tim Horton's in Durham and follow us down. I would be happy to introduce you to my friends.
Also I would be happy to come over tonight or tomorrow to candle your eggs with you before they go into lockdown.

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-04-21 13:50:26)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#12 2012-04-21 13:35:26

Amblecroft
Website

:welcome:

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#13 2012-04-21 14:50:25

Susan
Administrator

Welcome! As I said in my email, I hope you find this site helpful ( though with such a great bunch of people, I know you will :) ). I have just hatched my fifth generation and am enjoying th immensely. We primarily have the Marraduna, bit also the beginnings of Gorria and Zillara as well! Busy, busy! So glad you have so many offers of eggs- we are also quite the enablers here :)

#14 2012-04-21 16:26:24

Maggiesdad

Lindy Lou wrote:

Hi Kathy & Dennis. I'm so glad you found us here. I'm your neighbour from the other side of Durham, we spoke on Poultry Swap Ontario. This is the greatest group of people you could ever wish to meet. We share common interests,sense of humour . they are knowledgeable, helpful and just great to know. We try to get together as much as we can for breakfast, dinner, bar-b-ques and even road trips to the States to visit some of our EO members in Virginia.
I also have EO's and I just recently joined the I have Lavender D'Uccles too club. I will be going to the Fur & Feather next Sunday and plan to be there by 7:30. We usually arrange to meet by the main agte or you can meet up with us at the Tim Horton's in Durham and follow us down. I would be happy to introduce you to my friends.
Also I would be happy to come over tonight or tomorrow to candle your eggs with you before they go into lockdown.

Watch LL closely if you let her candle for you, she's likely slip some surprise eggs in there!  :chickout:  :funny:

#15 2012-04-21 16:57:08

Micah and Kiah

Wow, thank you so much everyone for your warm welcomes!  Dennis and I helped each other down the stairs (he sprained his ankle the same day Claire did and I am a week post knee surgury) and tried candling.  I think one of my two little  Lav D'Uccles died because off the power outage.   i don't want the one baby to be lonely so I hope to buy D'Uccle eggs from Claire and Fur at Feather. 

My one little Basque egg is doing really well!  We were fortunate to see the litte head and beak clearly as it was near the air sac.  What an amazing thing!

I am getting some Basque eggs from Claire and Fur and Feathers but I would like to take Gubi and Flat Rock up on your offers too please!  Then I'll have eggs from three farms and though they are related perhaps your lines have slightly different traits!  Please let me know what I owe all of you so I can have enough money with me.  I think I 'd better carry very little more money then I know I'll need or I will come home with a car full!

Maybe we should start saving for a group trip to Spain? :thumbsup:

Lindy Lou, I will try to phone you later today as we would love to come visit your farm tomorrow afternoon if that is ok.  Thank you SO much for your offer to drive over to help us candle but with my knee issues my house keeping isn't up to par, I'd be very embarrassed for you to see! :chairhide: We'll try once more today then them alone until it is time to take out the egg turner.

Lisa, thank you for the diatemecous earth idea! Do you just sprinkle it over the saw dust? In what proportions? is it true that I should avoid cedar shavings? When I was at Claire's I saw the dust baths of wood ash.  I REALLY don't want mites.  When I was in my early 20's (I'm 41 now), I visited my Aunt, a missionary in Venezuala, deep in the Amazon jungle.  Wouldn't you know it she had a coop out there!  The chickens had all died from the many predators so she wanted the coop cleaned and painted.  By the time I was done my ankles had started to swell.  Apparently they pen was filled with something she called chiggers.  What is that, mites? 

Whatever they were they were hungery and ate up my feet and lower legs.  I swelled so badly I couldn't move my ankles for days.  I felt really sick.

Please tell me that won't happen here! 

I was wondering if my chickens will need vaccines.  Should I just speak to our vet?  What do you do Lindy Lou? 

Is there a charge to enter fur and feathers?  Is there a fee to sell there?

I have so many questions!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#16 2012-04-21 18:52:00

Lindy Lou

Kathy tomorrow afternoon will be fine to come over. give me a call tonight after supper, I'll be in the house by then. John and I are doing yard work this weekend so we're outside most of the time. If you want to write out a list of questions to ask I'll do my best to answer them all or I'm sure to know someone else to ask.
Seriously I would happily come to help candle your eggs and I couldn't care less about the condition of your house. Life happens and housework sometimes needs to take a back seat.
Anyway give me a call and we'll set something up.
Lynn

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#17 2012-04-21 22:13:22

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:welcome:  :EO:

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#18 2012-04-21 23:03:47

appway

:welcome: Good to have you on the group
I only have 3 EO's right now (thanks again Susan)
but hope one day to have a good size flock

Adverts

Board footer