Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-20 23:32:48

Island Girl

Oh No Cocci??

I am in full panic mode right now. I have foamy yellow smelly poops in the coop. I am suspecting cocci but am too scared to medicate in case its not. I have Sulphamethozide that I can use. I know there can be odd  poops once in awhile but there seem to be so many all of a sudden. I just showed Gary the pictures of the normal poops and a picture with a cocci poop and he is coming outside with me for an inspection. No blood that I can see. Help please ...

:( Monika

2012-04-20 23:32:48

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-20 23:59:21

gubi
Website

Re: Oh No Cocci??

do you have any weak or light chicks?  Did you feed them anything different? 

Here's an article Claire wrote in case you haven't seen it yet
http://skeffling.hubpages.com/hub/Cocci … orid-cocci

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-04-21 00:02:15

Prairie Chick

First off don't panic, you can handle it if that is what it is, keep your eyes open for blood.

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#4 2012-04-21 00:31:43

Susan
Administrator

Are any huddled or looking "blah". Which group is it?  Do you feed medicated starter?

#5 2012-04-21 00:43:56

Flat Rock Farm

Well I know I had the juveniles get a run of cocci this year as they fly up on the water bottles and of course poop in the water.  The first sign was that a few were droopy and then upon closer inspection of the ground I found the "bloody" poops.  So treated them with some Neo-Chlor for five days and cleared it right up.  I am no poop expert but aren't the foamy yellow poops fairly normal???  I know my EE's have that kind of poop quite often :huh: and they seem very healthy.

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-04-21 00:44:48)

#6 2012-04-21 01:03:33

poplar girl
Administrator

I hope it is nothing Monika....but it it is Cocci you can treat it. Hopefully with Jo blood in the poo you have caufght it early!!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2012-04-21 02:10:26

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

How old are they Monika?  How many weeks?  Cocci is most common at 4-7 when they go out onto ground where the parents have been. If they are much younger it could be a bacterial infection or it could be a variation of normal.  If there is not blood, I'd keep an eye for now, but if any signs of illness in behavior, maybe treat with antibiotics.  Some extra minerals may not go amiss too.  Hope it is nothing.

#8 2012-04-21 02:23:17

Island Girl

Sorry guys of course you thought it was the chicks but its my adults. No blood in the poops at all and no one seems to acting any differently. I have watched them carefully and other than 'Suroo' (Thats the name of the roo I kept from the batch I hatched from Susan, hence Suroo) needing a swift kick in the pants for being nippy nothing seems amiss. I have been wracking my brains as to what feed has been different. Nothing except some bread cubes/trimmings that I get from the church communion. I forgot that I had it and grabbed a handful to feed them and then I noticed it was green :oops: Of course I didn't give them anymore and composted the rest. I completely forgot that had happened as it was only one handful and I stopped. I wasn't able to see if what I had already given them was moldy as it was gone fast. Oh no, this must be what it is ??? The more I type this the more I think that must be it, lets assume its not cocci and I have really upset their systems, any suggestions?

XOX Monika

#9 2012-04-21 02:31:30

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Mine get diarrhea if they get meat, if we have left over roast beef or the like, it's stinkier than usual too.  :sick:  I remember reading somewhere yellow frothy poops can be from worms, but if it's the adults, give it a day or two as long as they are looking fine, it could be something they've eaten.

#10 2012-04-21 11:36:24

Lisa

Monika,

Only suggestion I have to add - whenever I think the chooks' tummies are upset (some variation on normal), I give them plain yogurt. They love it, maybe it helps, it's totally entertaining to watch, and it makes ME feel better! =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#11 2012-04-21 12:50:20

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yep, stand back they flick yoghurt all over!

#12 2012-06-08 11:32:40

Flat Rock Farm

I just had a bout of Cocci, I lost 7 of Susan's EO's, 1 Coronation Sussex and 1 Rumpless Araucana.  Started them on Amprol as soon as I saw the dreaded "bloody poops" but I didn't get it started soon enough and lost the 8 chicks :stomp:   I was even syringing them the medicated water to the ones that were really droopy.  I really hate this part of chicken keeping as I try my hardest to keep everyone clean, well fed, crawlies free :sick: bit $#@! still happens :(

#13 2012-06-08 12:05:24

poplar girl
Administrator

:sad: oh I'm so sorry Paula! I hate that bad things like that happen and keep happening.  I hope you still have some nice chicks left from the eggs from Susan and that everyone stays healthy for awhile.  How old were they when they got sick?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#14 2012-06-08 12:25:01

Lindy Lou

I had the same thing happen Paula. Walked into the coop last Thursday and there was this one big bloody poop. My heart sank to my boots. I was lucky enough to find some Amprol and put everyone on. I isolated the real sick one and didn't hold out any hope for her but kept my fingers crossed for the rest. The chicken Gods must have been smiling down on me because everyone recovered and is just fine now. I have them on a reduced dose of Amprol for the next week and then hopefully we'll be done with that.
I'm really sorry that yours didn't make it. It makes you wonder why sometimes the meds work and sometimes not. The sickest one I hand fed, well force fed egg yolk and oatmeal mixed with yogurt and syringed the medicated water down her throat.
It's been a bit of a year this year!!!
Big Hugs Paula :hug:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-06-08 12:26:55)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#15 2012-06-08 12:51:26

Susan
Administrator

Shoot Paula. I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

#16 2012-06-08 13:18:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sorry to hear that Paula.  How upsetting when you think you are doing everything right.  :hug:

I honestly have found the Sulmet works better, that reminds me I should get some powder.  It is Amprol in the feed already,  so if they get cocci when they have been on medicated feed, you are just giving more of the same medicine and like more of the same antibiotic it is less likely to help I think.  Our Amprol has been frozen in the barn 2 winters so needs disposing of properly.    :banginghead:

#17 2012-06-08 13:21:34

Lindy Lou

Claire where do you get Sulmet from? I couldn't find anywhere local and didn't have the time to wait for it to come by delivery or mail.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#18 2012-06-08 13:26:26

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Not local, Cutlers in Michcigan.  That's why I should get some now, they are fast, within a week, but not fast enough when you see those poops.  Sounds like conditions are right this year. :stomp:

#19 2012-06-08 14:02:57

Flat Rock Farm

Yes Amprol is in the feed, but maybe too low a dose :huh:  I asked at the feed store and then I thought it was E-coli but then you don't get the bloody poops, as I had started them on Neo-Chlor for four days and noone was getting better only worse. 
I saw that sulmet is used as well but I have heard that it is pretty rough stuff :huh:
Out of the chicks from Susan only 6 are left, not sure think I got 1 Gorria.  I moved them into the barn yesterday I wanted to get them out of the "sick" brooder.  So fresh surrounding and they all look pretty good today.  These were also the coughing and rattly chicks so maybe had a weaker immune system???

#20 2012-06-08 14:10:47

Lindy Lou

The vet I saw said the same thing that the Amprol in the feed is just a preventive and it is too low a dose to contain an outbreak. I'm so sorry you have had all this bother with your last chicks Paula. Hopefully they are all over it and on the mend.

#21 2012-06-08 15:27:50

Island Girl

I am so sorry to hear this. I also have sulfamethozine in my arsenol of chicken meds. It would be my my choice od meds if needed. I hope everyone else is ok.

XOX Monika

#22 2012-06-08 16:07:36

Flat Rock Farm

Thank you everyone for the concern and :hug:.  Everyone else seems to be doing fine and enjoying their new digs, still on Amprol for a few more days to make sure it's GONE!!

#23 2012-06-08 18:35:44

ChestnutRidge
Website

I've been fighting it, too, Paula.  :banginghead:  When my German New Hampshires were one week old, I lost two - one out of the blue and one slowly the next day.  There were no bloody poops - apparently only 2 of the 7 types of cocci that affect chickens cause bloody poops.  I think my only symptom was that they weren't very energetic - they spent most of their time under the EcoGlow.  They were a new breed for me, so I had no idea if that was just their temprament or not.  There were no ruffled feathers, hunching, nothing.  Just a dead chick and another with closed eyes and "gasping".  I treated them then with Sulment for a week and the remaining chicks pulled through just fine.

Then, all of a sudden on Sunday, I had a mass of bloody poops and a chick with closed eyes.  They were 5 weeks old and had been outside living with the older chicks for two weeks already.  I had thought that if they were going to have a problem that it would have been earlier.  Shows how much I know.  Anyway, I put them on Sulment again because it was what I had, but there wasn't much of a reaction to it.  I lost the closed-eye chick (a gorgeous pullet, of course) about an hour later after some forced medicine feeding.  When I knew it was a lost cause, I just took her outside to sit in the sun until she passed.  The next day, I went to the farm store and bought Corid.  I started the survivors on the Corid that night and they are all doing well now.  But I am down to 5 out of the 8 GNHs I hatched.  I don't know if I am just missing something completely despite my attempts at good biosecurity or if these chicks are just too susceptible.  Very frustrating.

So frustrating, in fact, that this next batch of chicks to hatch will be given medicated feed - which I am usually against - because it is so late in the season and I can't stand to lose anymore birds.  I don't know what I am doing wrong yet, so I'm erring on the side of over-medication.  Sigh.  I hate it when such young birds die, having not really had much of a chicken-life yet, but I am going to do my best to improve where I need to and hopefully prevent a repeat of this next season.

#24 2012-06-09 01:47:13

Flat Rock Farm

Aw Heather so sorry to hear you have a troubles too :hug:
I have always started off chicks on medicated starter to keep this type of thing from happening and I have never had a problem in all the years I have raised chicks.  Guess I just have been lucky in the past :huh:
Yes it is so hard to come out and see them dead or not themselves and trying so hard to try and get them better.  Funny thing is out of the 8 chicks I lost they were all pullets as well :duh:
Hope they are on the road to recovery and you don't have anymore loses.  So far mine all look good, keeping fingers crossed.

#25 2012-06-09 03:49:17

Susan
Administrator

I'm really sorry Paula. I've had such robust chicks here. No troubles at all. Has any one else had these troubles with chicks from my birds?

Adverts

Board footer