Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-19 16:58:41

Island Girl

Hens feathers on their head

I have a few hens who have white feathers on their heads. The hens are the same size, shape, leg color etc. Are these hens you would use in a breeding group or would you use a hen without the white head feathers if all other traits were equal? Just trying to narrow down my breeding choices. Thanks for your opinions.

XOX Monika

2012-04-19 16:58:41

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-19 22:22:49

Susan
Administrator

Re: Hens feathers on their head

Yes I think they would be fine to use. Don't know if that is mottling or not, but I doubt it's a big problem to fix.

#3 2012-04-19 23:22:56

gubi
Website

I remember seeing them too last year but I can't remember which girls had them so I don't know how they turned out.  I would think if all things are equal I would pick the pullet without the white.  But then again all things are never equal!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2012-04-19 23:29:23

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think the white head feather hens will be more likely mottled and mine that had that were much more mottled after their first molt at just over a year old.  2 of the 4 in with Specky still have white feathers on their heads with the golden syrup background colour and barred.  All area good size so I used them.  I wouldn't have had they been small or slow growing white head feathers or not.  As long as they are a good size and temperament, I'd use them.  Hope that helps.

Adverts

Board footer