Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-14 14:45:33

Lindy Lou

Splayed legs

The last of my EO's to hatch was born with badly splayed legs also it was stuck to the bottom of it's shell for a while. The umblical cord area also was not closed quite properly. Right from the beginning I have been hobbling it's legs but to no avail. I went to check on them this morning and it was no better and it's little bum was covered in poop again because it can't stand well enough upright so sits in it's own poop.
I said to myself if it wasn't any better by today I would let it go which is what I did. I told it how very sorry I was not to be able to help it get better and then I drowned it. I know it is all part and parcel of having animals of any type but that was the worst thing I have ever had to do. As most of you have guessed I am very much a pacifist and would do no harm to any living thing but I also recognize that to leave an animal to suffer is the cruelest of things.
However in future I will take the cowards way out and leave the dispatching to my poor husband who I know hates it as much as I do.
I will also think very carefully if I want to continue to hatch my own chicks. It's such a wonderful thing when it goes right but so gut wrenching when it doesn't.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-04-14 14:45:33

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-14 14:56:34

Prairie Chick

Re: Splayed legs

:hug: I am sorry you had to do the deed, it is definitely the hardest part of raising critters

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#3 2012-04-14 15:06:19

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh LL I am sorry you had to go through that. I know it took a huge amount of strength to go through with it.

I also find it very hard to kill an animal even if I know it is suffering. My DH will save me from it (it bothers him much less) but if he is away I wll have to handle it on my own.

It is certainly one of the down sides of having animals.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-04-14 16:27:31

Lisa

LL,

I'm so sorry you had to do that. :sad:

The only tiny bit of peace I've ever found with dispatching birds is to tell them that they are welcome to come back any time, in a healthy body. Little prayer to the chicken goddess....:)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#5 2012-04-14 17:40:45

Flat Rock Farm

Oh Lindy I know all too well about this, I HATE having to do it.  So I know how you feel :hug:

Had to do one EO chicks after five days of walking around on it's elbows, it could not walk and slept most of the time with it's feet up around it's head.  I have another EO chick that was limping but now the foot goes off to the side, something looks dislocated.  Not sure what I am going to do with her. :(

I have found that EO's have leg and feet issues or is it just me :huh:

#6 2012-04-14 18:50:00

NaturesPace
Website

I'm so sorry LL. It takes a lot of strength to do what you did. I'm proud of you. It really is the best thing. :hug:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#7 2012-04-14 19:23:44

Lindy Lou

Thanks everyone. I agonized over what to do. It certainly wasn't right to keep the poor little thing going if there wasn't any chance of getting it better. I just feel so guilty and sorry. I don't think you ever get used to that side of keeping animals, be them little or small.
Then with true British spirit I tell myself" Get a grip,girl!! Somethings in life aren't pretty" need a Union Jack Smilie

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#8 2012-04-14 19:43:55

Flat Rock Farm

I found one for you Lynn :jumping:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/smiley_face_vintage_union_jack_sticker-p217594167114172950z8j38_400.jpg

Hope it gives you a smilie :hug:

#9 2012-04-14 19:46:48

Lindy Lou

Thanks a lot Paula. Can we shrink it and save it with our others?

#10 2012-04-14 19:52:28

Flat Rock Farm

Maybe Claire or one of the Admins can???  :huh:

#11 2012-04-14 22:34:36

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sorry Lynn, I know how hard it is. :hug: I have a little Lavender ameraucana chick I am probably going to have to do and black penny both, leg related.  They are not terrible, but just bad enough to make me wonder.

On the Smillie, let me check it's OK to use it copyright wise, where did you find it Paula?  hen I'll have a go, she says scratching her head!  :Crazy:  I'll need to host the image elsewhere, then link to it, I can hide it somewhere on one of my websites, or maybe try and put it on photobucket.

#12 2012-04-14 23:07:59

Flat Rock Farm

I just google Union Jack Smilie Images and up a few came.

Yep I think I am going to have to do the deed on the wonky legged EO too it is getting grossly deformed looking.  :sad:

#13 2012-04-16 00:13:23

Flat Rock Farm

Well I had to do the deed with the wonky legged chick today.  It's leg was really getting twisted and the other toes on the opposite foot were starting to get crocked.  After it had passed I had a better look at the bad leg and it was definatley dislocated from the socket.  I am thinking one of the other chicks at some point trotted on her and damaged the leg :(

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-04-16 00:59:09)

#14 2012-04-16 00:18:28

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh sorry to hear that Paula.  I did mine too, it's right leg was out 90 degrees and it couldn't pull it in like before.  :chook:

#15 2012-04-16 00:40:52

Flat Rock Farm

Sorry Claire, sounds just like mine too going in the wrong direction :(

#16 2012-04-16 00:51:55

Maggiesdad

:hug:  'Sokay, LL. Don't let bumps like that get you down,  It's going to take some work to get this breed where it needs to be.

Adverts

Board footer