Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-13 13:19:39

Lisa

Scaly leg mite - need advice....

Morning All! :)

So I have birds in 2 different pens that seem to be affected by scaly leg mite. I've been applying vaseline (irregularly), but think I need to get more aggressive now. I've reviewed our sticky on regular mites and lice, and wonder if scaly leg mite is different.

Ideas please? These girls are starting to look uncomfortable....

Thanks everyone!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2012-04-13 13:19:39

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-13 13:58:03

Lindy Lou

Re: Scaly leg mite - need advice....

Hi Lisa,
I have read through the literature for Normectin( Ivormectin) and that will control Scaley Leg mite also. I have a problem with it in my older birds. I have done the Vaseline thing as well but you do need to be quite consistant with the applications. Also I understand it takes a while for the leg scales to go down as the debris from the mites remains for a while.
If anyone else has a good fast remedy I would be delighted to hear from you and I bet Lia would too. :thanks:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-04-13 14:04:22)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#3 2012-04-13 13:59:28

pops coops
Website

I deworm with Ivomec and it also looks after scaly leg mite, Ivomec kills all internal and external parasites exept Gapeworm

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#4 2012-04-13 14:09:55

poplar girl
Administrator

I have never had a problem with scaly leg mites (note I am going to go check my chooks today just in case...)

Reading it does seem that Ivemectin will work. Like any mite you need to repeat it 10 days or so later to get the eggs that might hatch. One or two articles mentions Frontline will also work.

Cleaning out the coop and treating it are also listed as critical to avoid re-infestation. Several articles recommend powdering the cleaned out coop with those Powders of Death (sorry...I hate them). I use a No Pest Stripe instead.

Smothering them with Vaseline etc. seems to require cleaning the legs, working the vaseline into the scales and then diligent repeat application. And even if the mites are dead the scales can stay raised for a long time.

I would guess to break the cycle you would need to treat the whole flock.

Pests, Pests GO AWAY.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-04-13 16:27:41

Island Girl

oh oh I have a good answer to this one! :wise:

I had a pharmacist make up a solution of campho-phenique for me after I had accidentally stumbled across an article about it. I couldn't find it for sale anywhere and he was willing to experiment with me, so experiment we did. It was expensive for him to make me but it can be purchased in the states for sure. I found both a gel form and a liquid when I was in Hawaii and bought both. The active ingredient is Camphorated phenol 10.8% (camphor 10.8% and phenol 4.7%) Inactive ingredients are eucalyptus oil and mineral oil. It works like a hot dam! I washed the birds legs in warm soapy water and dried them well and then using a cotton swab covered the legs with the liquid form so it could soak up under the scales and then covered it with the gel. I highly recommend that you try to buy it when across the border, its not expensive there. If anyone does not have access to do this. I will get my son to pick some up for me, he crosses the border often and I will ship some to you. I hope that you can find this stuff where you live LL. Its a must for the chicken medicine box.

XOX Monika

#6 2012-04-13 18:55:00

Lindy Lou

Thanks Monika I'll certainly have to look and see if I can find some. If not well maybe a shopping trip across the border can be arranged. :roadtrip:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#7 2012-04-13 19:33:58

Flat Rock Farm

Shoot this comes a week too late as was just across the border a week ago :banginghead:  In the meantime I would suggest Lisa use the Ivomec to at least help relieve them.  I can bring some for you on Sunday Lisa if you don't have any :thumbs:

#8 2012-04-13 19:52:23

Susan
Administrator

I'm in agreement with the ivermectin. 1cc on the back and neck( it must be put on the skin). The scales will remain raised until the next moult

#9 2012-04-13 20:20:09

Lisa

Thanks guys!

Now here's a new question - if you treat with ivomec, there is a withdrawal period for the eggs, yes? What about if you are currently collecting hatching eggs from those birds?? I'm guessing that if the ivomec puts something in the eggs that makes them toxic, it can't be doing much for the chicks....

I called my vet today to ask for Eprinex (because I remembered somebody saying it doesn't have a withdrawal period)  - he is a small animal vet, doesn't have it. I went to the local large animal vet - I am not their client, so no dice. But they will fill a prescription from my vet if he asks them to. Now he wants to see me to discuss how I am planning to treat my birds (likely a conversation along the lines of "what are you doing NOW???" - he finds my farm adventures entertaining - I think he sees me as a bit of a female Wingfield).

So likely I can talk him into it tomorrow morning if Eprinex is a better choice. Opinions? Eprinex vs. Ivomec??

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#10 2012-04-13 21:59:20

Susan
Administrator

I have never used eprinex but ivermectin is even used in humans. I don't actually worry about it in hatching eggs to be honest. I don't use it on the laying hens( eating eggs) but I would imagine a few weeks or so as it is a long acting drug.

#11 2012-04-13 22:17:08

poplar girl
Administrator

I am not sure either Lisa. I just treated my flock for the third time with Eprinex for northern fowl mites. I use 0.5 cc on the large fowl, about 0.3 cc on the bantams. It is supposed to be 1 cc per 20 lbs. the bantams are mite free, the large fowl have mites...so I wonder if a higher dose is needed on the large fowl as maybe they are getting less per pound??

My point is I don't know how well Ivemectin vs Eprinex works. The withdrawal time for Eprinex is certainly shorter but is the residual also shorter such that you would need to treat more often :huh: And I couldn't say what the effect on hatching eggs would be. I know I have heard quite a few people say Eprinex does not cause problems, not sure about Ivemectin.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2012-04-14 01:06:05

gubi
Website

Here are the labels for eprinex, Ivomec pour on and ivomect injectable
http://ca.merial.com/cattle/eprinex.asp
http://ca.merial.com/cattle/ivomec-pour-on.asp
http://ca.merial.com/cattle/ivomec-injection.asp

We treat our dairy cows and heifers with Eprinex in the fall.  We do one treatment per year.  No repeats after 2 weeks.  I'm not sure where that one is coming from.  Eprinex kills depending on the bug for 2-4 weeks.  I have scaly leg mites in my flock too.  I treated everyone with Eprinex in January.  My EO rooster had it really bad so I rubbed some imbryn cream on his legs and they are now almost healed up. 
The problem with using these insecticides too much is that it will cause resistance.  For instance the goat people have been treating their flocks every 6 weeks against worms and now the worms are resistant to almost all treatments. 
I have been noticing some little black bugs on my eggs that the broodies are sitting on so I have treated all the silkies and the Spitzhaubens that are in the same pen as most broodie silkies with Eprinex last night again.  I can't see Eprinex doing anything with fertility of the eggs.  There will always be some bugs around the trick is to keep them in balance.  The time you really have to watch your hens is when they are broodie.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#13 2012-04-14 02:03:59

poplar girl
Administrator

Most of the info on the web says to repeat treatment with Eprinex after 10-14 days :huh: even on the label for different parasites of cattle etc. it indicates how many days it remains effective for and recommends repeat application.

I worry about resistance as well.

#14 2012-04-14 02:59:10

NaturesPace
Website

I have now added several of these to my shopping list. Wonder what our grandparents did to combat these pests? Maybe they are just more prevelant now? Darn buggers!

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

Adverts

Board footer