Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-05 00:57:36

poplar girl
Administrator

Results from SLF's Sonny Jim eggs

I am very pleased by these 6 chicks. I Had a 100% hatch rate on these EOs shipped from Ontario first off. Of 3 pullets, all three look like keepers to me based on preliminary observation. The three little roolets, i think one may be a keeper. One just like the keeper in color and personality has a crooked middle toe, the third is tiny and has not quite as nice coloring.

So :thumbs: :thumbs: to Claire for choosing Sonny Jim and last year's moms to mate him with. I am very pleased with the chicks. Compared to the group with Speckled Jim which have colors and sizes all over the map, these are some nice chicks that show the advances selection can make. And on top of it all great little friendly personalities.

Pictures to follow shortly...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-06-05 00:57:36

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-05 01:12:38

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Results from SLF's Sonny Jim eggs

Pullet pictures
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/35b2263c.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/5f21a14c.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/32f77fdb.jpg

Roolet pictures
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/a69c29fa.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/25562b91.jpg

In addition to feather color, yellow shanks, good personality, and decent size these chicks have no feather stubs or side sprigs. I will watch with anticipation as they mature.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2012-06-05 01:31:56

gubi
Website

They are looking good, Claire has matched them up good it seams.  I haven't seen a single side spring this year on my EO's and I never seen any feather stubs but boy those crooked toes.  So one of these roolets even has a crooked toe with your Brinsea incubator?  How are the Spitz doing?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2012-06-05 02:31:15

Flat Rock Farm

They look great, good pairing Claire :thumbsup:

#5 2012-06-05 02:32:02

poplar girl
Administrator

gubi wrote:

They are looking good, Claire has matched them up good it seams.  I haven't seen a single side spring this year on my EO's and I never seen any feather stubs but boy those crooked toes.  So one of these roolets even has a crooked toe with your Brinsea incubator?  How are the Spitz doing?

Yep, the crooked toe on this fellow is genetic, I am confident it was not an incubation issue. And he is so friendly, it is sad.

As for the spitz, I have three. One died at 24 hours, not surprised as they had a tough hatch. Here is a picture altough not the best as they don't particularly like me as of yet, maybe with time.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/ab490248.jpg

#6 2012-06-05 03:59:35

Micah and Kiah

:congrats:  Beautiful chicks!  Great pairing!  Send more photos as they grow!  Gubi, 'fraid I want to go on your waiting list for early next Spring for Spitz!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#7 2012-06-06 03:01:29

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Great PG.  Yes I am finding Specky's lots are all over too, he seems so throw red anyway and now willow legs the past 2 years.  I am finding homes for the day olds for layers homes as they are very red chicks, ang we have grey roos again, they are white legged and pale, funny to look at those 4 yellow legged pullets they should be pretty uniform chicks.  Some of the pullets may work for Gorria though, but the red pullets ahve white legs too.  Blondie and Curlies babies are quite pale, but not much black on them so far.  Amazing how variable but it is neat that they are improving a  bit.  Sonny Jim is  a sweetheart even if his wives are a bit pecky.  :shock:

#8 2012-06-06 11:51:43

poplar girl
Administrator

I think my pullets may have inherited the pecky trait from their moms. It is cute when they are little but a pain when they are older. That said, I can handle a hen of any temperament, it is really the roosters that need to be gentlemen to keep things simple.

Every chick, both Speckled Jim's babies and Sonny Jim's, have yellow shanks so if there were white legged moms in the breeding pen they either took a week off or I got lucky.

#9 2012-06-06 13:42:11

prairiedawns

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

Great PG.  Yes I am finding Specky's lots are all over too, he seems so throw red anyway and now willow legs the past 2 years.  I am finding homes for the day olds for layers homes as they are very red chicks, ang we have grey roos again, they are white legged and pale, funny to look at those 4 yellow legged pullets they should be pretty uniform chicks.  Some of the pullets may work for Gorria though, but the red pullets ahve white legs too.  Blondie and Curlies babies are quite pale, but not much black on them so far.  Amazing how variable but it is neat that they are improving a  bit.  Sonny Jim is  a sweetheart even if his wives are a bit pecky.  :shock:

If I had to share my husband, I would be a pit "pecky" too!  :stomp:  So, what is the deal with white legs?  Is there some sort of defect attatched to that gene or something?

#10 2012-06-06 13:43:34

prairiedawns

I just have to say, that eye twitching smiley is awesome.  There is just no way to misinterpret that!

#11 2012-06-06 18:03:03

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I like it too! :shock:  No, ideally the legs are yellow on these guys.  The white leggers are just as strong. 

Sonny Jim has 1 white and one yellow wife (the ones that died with a blue comb was a yellow legger too, not sure if she could have been a Mom there, she may have, she had the least black on her) and Specky has 4 yellows, remember the glow in the dark neon yellow ones from Nov/Dec ?  :chook:

#12 2012-06-06 19:47:00

Lindy Lou

PD I hate to contradict you but I'd be a lot less pecky if I could share my husband. :funny: He's semi retired and spend way too much time at home asking me what I'm doing :banginghead:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

Adverts

Board footer