Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-02 01:56:20

Terra-Blue
Website

Pullets (4 1/2 weeks)

Below are photos of 4 of the 5 pullets (from 7 in this batch) that I am going to run on for awhile.  I know they are young, but I would appreciate comments on each as to their color and structure.  As I am still learning about the breed, this will be an invaluable learning tool for me both now and for future birds as well.  I would love to hear about their good qualities, as well as what could be improved about each them as well.  As a dog show judge I tend to focus on details, so would love to hear those, and also I don't take any of it personally, so please critique away!

Thanks again to James for this wonderful batch of birds.  They are so much fun and have been a real joy!

RED: She seems to me to be the best of the group.  I like her outline, she has nice color (hard to see in the sunlight), and has yellow legs.  She is not the most bold, but has a sweet temperament.
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/joniajohnson/red_002_IMG_4502.jpg

BLACK:  She is lighter than red and more of a caramel color.  Her outline is very partridge looking to me and I am interested as to what parts of this are good and not.  She has willow legs, and also a sweet temperament.
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/joniajohnson/black_138_IMG_4499.jpg

BLUE:  I also like the outline on this pullet.  She is more of a mixture of white and rust.  Is this what everyone calls Mille Fleur? She has yellow legs.
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/joniajohnson/blue_134_IMG_4497-1.jpg

GREEN: Very similar to Blue (No Photo)

PURPLE: She doesn't seem to me to have the best outline, and obviously not the correct color, but is the most outgoing friendly one of the whole bunch (cockererls and pullets), so she is staying as a pet.
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/joniajohnson/lavender_000_IMG_4495.jpg

(Also not shown - WHITE (mostly white with darker wings) & YELLOW (all white) These two are going to another home.)

Last edited by Terra-Blue (2012-06-02 01:58:38)

Joni Johnson
Terra-Blue Pyrenean Shepherds
www.terra-blue.net

2012-06-02 01:56:20

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-02 02:12:29

Maggiesdad

Re: Pullets (4 1/2 weeks)

I think you'll be amazed at how close they are to each other by the time they hit 20 weeks.  4.5 wks is a pretty awkward stage what with chick down still on their heads.

#3 2012-06-02 02:46:09

NaturesPace
Website

Others might be better at critiquing, but the first two seem to have the best coloring. The Mille, is nice too.

I would take good notes on what you are seeing in these birds... Well I guess you did in this thread already, but keep records from week to week. Write down, color, size, shape, personality and changes of those things from week to week. Keeping photos from each week will help too.

Help what? Well, I'm not sure, but thing change so fast the first 10 weeks, that it will be good reference for your next batch.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#4 2012-06-02 13:21:49

gubi
Website

The first two I would be watching what they develop into.  #2 could possibly turn more millie fleure as she has the spots on the wingtips but #1 does have some too.  You will have to see if they will disappear or get more prominent.  My guess would be they get more prominent as they get older.  I like the #2's colour better as it is a more even brown.  Time will tell.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2012-06-02 13:46:04

poplar girl
Administrator

I can't provide much selection advice as i think it is too soon but I agree with what has already been said.

Do what you are already doing, document as much as you can as what is visible now may not be visible later but should still be considered when selecting your breeding birds. As MD pointed out they will get more similar looking to each other as they get older, that is why you will want to document how they look right now as I think some traits are clearer now than they will be later. That said I think it is too soon to see some of the traits you will want to consider when selecting even including egg production and adult weight.

As we continue to select EO that are more to the SOP one of the things I will miss is the huge variations we currently get. I might need to keep a few different lines going as some traits such as the mille fleur are just so lovely!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-06-02 20:28:01

Terra-Blue
Website

Thanks everyone.  Your comments are really appreciated.  I know this is a tough age and they will continue to change so much.  I have been keeping lots of notes, and obviously taking lots of photos.  (I also am beginning to question my sanity when I consider how much time I spend doing this and playing with them - ha ha!  I am sure the neighbors are wondering too!)

Somewhere on the forum someone posted some old diagrams about the correct shape of a good laying hen.  Now I can't seem to find them.  Does anyone know where they might be?

Joni Johnson
Terra-Blue Pyrenean Shepherds
www.terra-blue.net

#7 2012-06-02 21:25:59

ChestnutRidge
Website

#8 2012-06-03 20:36:19

Terra-Blue
Website

Thank you!