Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-29 00:24:20

NaturesPace
Website

take a look at these EOs

I have some questions about my birds. below are some of my youngsters.

Big Momma is my first ever hatched chick! She has a curled toe, so I don't want to breed her. She also seems to be coming into maturity slowly. She does not have much of a comb or wattle yet. She is 18 weeks old in this photo take yesterday. She also seems to hold herself low to the ground. I have been thinking she looks like a duck. Is she what you would call "deer" coloring? very light in the chest and underbelly. Darker red, rust, muted on the rest of her.
big momma
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/BigMommaSmaller.jpg

I'm wondering if Little Girl is a "Blondie" or Marraduna? She has bluish legs. She also has a bigger comb and wattles than Big Momma.
little girl
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/LittleGirl.jpg

This is the guy I think I can breed Little Girl to. He is not the biggest YET, but he is the closest to body and leg color that I have. I also have one that has more black but white legs. Can you tell me if he looks good or if I should just get more hatching eggs from MD or Skyline to get some breeders?
Yellow roo
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/yellowboy.jpg

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2012-05-29 00:24:20

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-29 00:49:50

Flat Rock Farm

Re: take a look at these EOs

NS I would breed Yellow Roo to Little Girl.  He has good feather colour and nice yellow legs, he will change a bit as he matures but definitely a keeper.  Yes Big Momma is what I call deer colour, not sure what everyone else description is.  She looks a lot like "gubi's girl" possibly when she was younger.  If you go to Susan's post on "this one looks different" you will see what she may turn out like. :thumbs:

So here is "gubi's girl" and she lays a HUGE egg, very sweet hen as well doesn't mind me picking her up at all:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_0588640x480.jpg

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-05-29 01:07:48)

#3 2012-05-29 01:02:22

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Big Momma looks a lot like "Drive-By" my Blondies daughter from last year who was small and a slower maturer, but has nice big bloomers now!  She was "deer coloured" but is lightening and reddening up in her feathers, though she hasn't done her first big molt yet.  I don't plan to breed Drive-By as she was slow to grow and she is so rude with food, hence the name.  She snatches and actually greedier than her Mom who was my greediest hen.

Little Girl is very very nice, she had a big frame and will have lonely big cream bloomers once she fills out.  She looks a lot like my Blondie.  Her back is a similar shape as well, nice smooth outline.  My Blondie was narrow for her first year and smaller than the second pullet chick we got with her, but she has been a nice big hen since she was about 2. The smaller ones do grow and fill out eventually, and they can lay some darn big eggs in the meantime too!

I like your yellow roo too.  I think he is worthy, I liked him before.  he is going to eb a big boy and had pretty thick legs already.  Something happens with these guys between 5 and 8 months where they totally thicken up.  And they are not that tiny at 5 months either.

Any time you can get more chicks you have backups, spares  and choices, but I bet you will get some nice chicks from them if you try them. :cheer:

#4 2012-05-29 01:02:57

Maggiesdad

I'll second FRF on that. Yellow roo looks quite handsome!

They will be laying in 3 - 4 weeks. My brown girl is big too, and lays a the biggest egg of all the pullets. CR has about 4 of hersXMr.Black incubating.

We're off to the beach with my cousin's family, and he brought 2 doz eggs from the white legged pullets I gave him along with Forrest. THEY ARE BIGGER AND BROWNER THAN WHAT MY GIRLS ARE LAYING!!!!

%#&$^@*!!!!

I believe that's why James left all the variables in, gives us a good shot at building the barn first.

Little Girl is definitely Marraduna, she's got good barring on her legs and bloomers.

#5 2012-05-29 01:08:03

gubi
Website

I would get more hatching eggs from Skyline. The more you can get the better.  Your roo has really nice colouring.  Lots of red barred and yellow legs and looks promising.  I would call your second pullet a blondie.  She has nice barring coming in.  I prefer the type of the deer coloured hen much better.  She appears a lot "meatier" and has a much better tail angle.   Is there a big age difference between the deer coloured hen and the the other two? 
Thanks for posting your pictures.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2012-05-29 01:09:32

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

I believe that's why James left all the variables in, gives us a good shot at building the barn first.

Totally agree!  That's what I did too!  It would be too easy to lose something good by being too strict to start! =D :EO: :US: :Canada:

#7 2012-05-29 01:25:26

NaturesPace
Website

Gubi, you are right! I forgot to say the other two are 13 weeks old.

So the tail angle should be lower like Big Mommas?

#8 2012-05-29 01:44:24

ChestnutRidge
Website

I don't think she looks lighter than a regular marraduna. :huh:  If I were you, I'd breed any hens that didn't have physical defects, like the crooked toes.  I'd hatch out a large number of chicks, choose the best, and go from there.  Might as well get some from MD as well, because his group looks great! 
http://scratchcradle.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/er-flock.jpg

Last edited by ChestnutRidge (2012-05-29 01:50:36)

#9 2012-05-29 01:44:33

gubi
Website

tail angle should be 35 degrees on the hens 45 on the roosters.  Did you happen to weight them recently?  EO cockerels are supposed to reach 2kg 4.4lbs at 13 weeks old.  I need a scale soon to do mine. :chairhide:
It will be interesting what your younger pair will look like when they are closer to 20 weeks old.  Like Claire said they do change a lot even going into their second year.  My rooster widened up a lot too since last year.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2012-05-29 01:48:20

gubi
Website

Chestnut ridge I was just looking at the picture on that site before too, I would love to have a flock like they do.

I think the main reason we call those blondies is because they look like Claire's one original hen called Blondie.

#11 2012-05-29 01:52:10

ChestnutRidge
Website

gubi wrote:

Chestnut ridge I was just looking at the picture on that site before too, I would love to have a flock like they do.

I think the main reason we call those blondies is because they look like Claire's one original hen called Blondie.

Okay, I get it!  It looks like the ER site has slightly lighter and slightly darker, so they are both within the range of normal, I guess?  (Like the hen laying down in the photo above and the hen standing behind her.)

Last edited by ChestnutRidge (2012-05-29 01:52:52)

#12 2012-05-29 02:17:39

NaturesPace
Website

thanks everyone!

I have not weighted them lately, but i will.

yellow guy is now the friendliest and runs over FIRST to see us. Then, Little Girl comes over, but it's a pretty good race. I'm glad that the two potential breeders are the friendliest.

Oh one thing about yellow guy, his tail feathers are not as dark at the black and white tail feathers that the white legged guy has. Yellow guys are grey with some brown. Do you think that will grow out?

Also, maybe we need to see if the Deer color chicks mature later. I'm guessing my Welsummers are going to lay before she does.

#13 2012-05-29 02:20:24

poplar girl
Administrator

Your roo is a nice looking boy and little girl I like as well. With the blue legs, if you breed her and just keep female chicks with white or yellow legs you won't have any that carry the dermal melanin allele. Little girl is quite light but not out of the range."Blondies" are still marraduna, just light colored ones.

I have found that the type can vary a huge amount. With the hens, I am trying to pay attention to how many eggs I get from hens of each type as I have one with the narrower back and the big bloomers (my Blondie is like that) and egg production seems lower from her. It seems like some of my really big, heavy hens still lay really well so that is a bonus. So much to observe and learn!

Chestnutridge I love they EOs on that site, I want a pasture full of EOs just like that....

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#14 2012-05-29 02:38:48

Micah and Kiah

Is there a type of EO that is supposed to have blue leggs or do all the types have yellow?  How many types of EOs are there?  Do we have photos of the types?  How many varieties do we have represented in North America?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#15 2012-05-29 04:00:30

NaturesPace
Website

I guess I didn't really think that two birds would be my only breeding as tick, but at least it's a start.

#16 2012-05-29 04:01:32

NaturesPace
Website

PG, that is exactly the kind of info. I needed to hear! Thanks everyone.

Last edited by NaturesPace (2012-05-29 14:37:16)

#17 2012-05-29 11:32:31

poplar girl
Administrator

Micah and Kiah wrote:

Is there a type of EO that is supposed to have blue leggs or do all the types have yellow?  How many types of EOs are there?  Do we have photos of the types?  How many varieties do we have represented in North America?

I was trying to find a thread to provide you a link to to answer these questions as I know it must be on the forum but I can't find it so...

In adddition to the marraduna (gold barred) there are gorria (red), zillara (white columbian), beltza (black), naked neck and, at one time thought lost, the lindolina (Blondie without black in the hackles). All EOs should have yellow shanks with the possible exception of the beltza having yellow legs but with the black dermal melanin. The marraduna and gorria were brought to Canada. The marraduna (mostly thanks, single handedly, to Claire) are the most common but a few gorria still exist and also have been interbred with the marraduna. Both varieities are in need of some careful breeding efforts to retain the right traits without loosing the desired genetic diversity that came over from Spain with the first few breeding birds.

I think Chestnutridge's article is one of the best I have read on the subject, here is a link to it:
http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/reso … sque-hens/

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#18 2012-05-29 15:53:48

Micah and Kiah

Thank you, that answers a lot of questions I've been having.  I only have the three EO chicks right now.  At first I didn't think I'd be able to tell them apart from the five other yellow chicks but the Favorelles are very distinctive with their big fluffy beards, feathered, legs and extra toe, the White chantie is distintive, the americanas are hyper and flighty then there are these three with dense yellow short fluff that stare up at me, jump into my hand and follow me everywhere!  Those must be EOs.  Now, could I have 1000 more please? :love:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#19 2012-05-29 23:25:06

ChestnutRidge
Website

poplar girl wrote:

Chestnutridge I love they EOs on that site, I want a pasture full of EOs just like that....

Me, too!  I probably spend 20 minutes a week looking at those pictures.  I'm a bit obsessed. :chairhide:  I want those colors and I want those shapes.  I am trying to burn them into my mind...

NP, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but let's see what I can get out of the eggs from MD.  It would be great if we could each have at least one pullet with basically Marraduna coloring, shape, and yellow shanks.  I'm thankful for PG's sex-linked melanin comment, too.  We have a lot to work with, even if it doesn't seem that way.  I'm really pleased that there is such a good group of us working on them here in Virginia!!!! :wise:

#20 2012-05-30 02:15:29

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It is great to have the moral support when working on these.  None of us is an expert, and a group effort is so much more fun.  It is funny how we are getting little pockets of breeders close together! :jumping:

I think the reason I am not stressing about the colours too much here this year is each bird is a delight to own!  I love having them gallop up to my hand in the brooder. :love:

#21 2012-05-30 02:56:50

Lindy Lou

I'm with you Claire. I love the grey ones and the Millies most of all. Any colour of EO is a treat to own and having hatched my own eggs for the first time I don't care what colour they are.  :love:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-05-30 02:58:02)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#22 2012-05-30 03:49:12

NaturesPace
Website

ChestnutRidge wrote:

NP, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but let's see what I can get out of the eggs from MD.  It would be great if we could each have at least one pullet with basically Marraduna coloring, shape, and yellow shanks.  I'm thankful for PG's sex-linked melanin comment, too.  We have a lot to work with, even if it doesn't seem that way.  I'm really pleased that there is such a good group of us working on them here in Virginia!!!! :wise:

I like the sound of that! That would be amazing!

I like of look forward to getting some of those other colored pullets too!
We are going Thursday to look at two properties that sound good on paper. It's hard to find the perfect place to spend the rest of your life! ;)

#23 2012-05-31 02:31:42

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh good luck.  :thumbs:  You'll know when you find the right place.  We found ours 3 years before a) we were ready to buy and b) it was up for sale!  I made hubby pull over so I could look at the view! :love:  You'll find the right spot, specially if you are not in a terrible rush!

#24 2012-05-31 23:50:34

ChestnutRidge
Website

NaturesPace wrote:

I like the sound of that! That would be amazing!

I like of look forward to getting some of those other colored pullets too!
We are going Thursday to look at two properties that sound good on paper. It's hard to find the perfect place to spend the rest of your life! ;)

:jumping: Awesome.  MD gave me 27 EO eggs! !!!  !!!  I have 4 under my broody Welsummer and the rest in the incubator.  I candled a random 4 and they are all looking good.  It's day.... hmm.. 5, I think.  I'd have to run and check.  I'll keep you posted. 

Good luck finding a place!!! I am excited for you.  I love looking at country properties.  My husband and I have been looking at land in WV, actually.  Just land, so when and if we do decide to buy, it will be a while before we move out there.  Where abouts are you looking?

#25 2012-06-01 00:54:05

NaturesPace
Website

Today we look at two properties near Lexington. We really liked the one, but weren't able to go in the house, because the tenant didn't know we were coming. The house is nothing much, but the land was wonderful. 31 acres, yearly stream, pasture and woods! We are going to try to see the house next week, but we did get approved for a loan today.

Finger crossed that it turns out to be worth it. We are planning on building a new house so as long as its livable for a year or so, we will be happy.

Adverts

Board footer