Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-27 04:36:41

prairiedawns

Garden is in!

Whew!  I finished planting my garden today.   That's a load off!  We planted all heirloom seeds this year, so I have do some studying on harvesting seeds.  We are trying a bunch of new veggies this year.  I have always done corn, beans, cukes, potatoes and carrots.  This year we are adding turnips, beets, lettuce, tomatoes, melons, onions, peppers and a bunch of herbs.  Taking a swing at companion gardening.  There is so much info on this stuff, it makes my head swim!  Anyway, one of my kids loves gardening with me, so at least I'll have some help with weeding.  I don't know about anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned, dropping tons of money at the grocery store is so yesterday! ;)

2012-05-27 04:36:41

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-27 11:15:34

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Garden is in!

Good for you PD, there is such a good feeling when grow your own food.:thumbs: 

I have had meals on my table where everything on it has come from me growing and raising it.  Great pride in it and knowledge of knowing what is "in it" not to mention the great taste :eat:

Great also that you have a helper with you in the garden as well :thumbsup:

#3 2012-05-27 14:21:06

Chrish

good for you
We always grow and store as much as we can for winter. This year is the first year we have our own beef pork and chicken as well. :eat:

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

#4 2012-05-27 15:34:00

Prairie Chick

I too have planted all heritage seeds this year, in both of my gardens.  It is a relief to get it all done, now the weeding begins :nervous:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#5 2012-05-28 05:28:51

prairiedawns

I saw with my own eyes last year how very beneficial weeding is.  I was away for a week near the end of July, and when I got home, I could hardly tell where the rows were.  I got it weeded and the garden lept up so fast it was alsmost like Mary Poppins had walked through!  Who knew, my mother was right all along...:wise:

Adverts

Board footer