Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2011-07-24 12:35:31

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Frosty is sick

How is he Susan? Any better?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-07-24 12:35:31

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2011-07-24 15:14:47

Susan
Administrator

Maybe??  I am not sure, but he doesn't seem to be as weak. The fact that he's eating and drinking makes me think I'll keep trying a little longer.       And Claire, don't worry! JCE and his Mom are good friends of mine- I know he's just teasing me ;) its all good!! :)

#28 2011-07-24 20:05:36

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

That really good I am glad he is doing better.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#29 2011-07-25 03:51:14

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I hope he continues to improve.  That is encouraging.  Eating and drinking on their own is the best of signs.  :applause:

#30 2011-07-25 11:22:17

Flat Rock Farm

I agree with Claire that is a good sign, will keep fingers crossed that he continues to improve.  Hate having sick birds.

#31 2011-07-25 14:03:57

Susan
Administrator

Me to FlatRock. Thing is if its coccidiosis, fine. That's treatable. My concern is what if it is something that he will be a carrier for?  I'm not willing to jeopardize my whole flock. At the same time, do you think he has enough to contribute to the gene pool to warrant vet diagnosis? I don't mean to sound cruel, its just that I have spent so much on my birds in the past year that $$ are becoming a factor.

#32 2011-07-25 17:36:26

gubi
Website

That is always a good question Susan.  I don't know how far you are from poplar girl but she might be able to supply a healthy BHR rooster for you.  How much would a vet diagnosis cost?  Any of your other birds show symptoms?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#33 2011-07-25 17:46:49

Susan
Administrator

Yes Gubi, PG and I are planning to meet. I'm just wondering if he is in fact a white EO. No one else has them. It would be great to get more of the colours here. None of my other birds are sick and he remains in quarantine

#34 2011-07-26 02:44:45

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Susan wrote:

do you think he has enough to contribute to the gene pool to warrant vet diagnosis?

Not sure about that exactly, that is down to you if you want to try for the other colours, but if you are really concerned, getting tests done and a Diagnosis may help ID if he is a threat to the whole flock, or not.   If not, shame to keep him separate for years if he could have gone in with no major impact, or if you kept him if there were a problem.  Thing with testing if you go that route, is be prepared for any eventuality.  It is stressful.  Generally they will find a handful of low grade things that when all are piled on stress or cold weather or whatever, the symptoms pop up.  As far as I can tell, everyones flock has a little something, unless they keep their flock in a lab environment.

Stefan is right, it may be worth trying to get a nice male from Poplargirl, you may need to anyway if he succumbs.  It would be cool to get the Zilarras going looks like Skyline has some whites in his BYC pics.

#35 2011-07-26 02:55:02

poplar girl
Administrator

You can have your pick of just about any Roos Susan...Aug 20th road trip =D

And the trio from the same source as Frosty remains healthy but in quarantine. I will also have to make a difficult decision about them before winter. 9 of the newest babies are from them though so not a complete loss if I decide not to integrate them with my flock.

I do agree with Claire, not sure my backyard flock would pass a battery of disease tests but they seem to be very healthy. Just that they make contact with too many things to be pathogen free.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#36 2011-07-26 03:35:01

Susan
Administrator

Don't get me wrong, I'm not naïve enough to think my birds are free of everything, just want to try and avoid anything new. I absolutely believe in free ranging them, even with the possibility of diseases coming in from wild birds etc. I also think there is something to be said for survival of the fittest. I want a bird that can live in this environment and remain healthy. Its always a dilemma when one gets sick...

#37 2011-07-26 03:38:10

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I totally undertstand Susan it is tough to figure out!  I;d keep nursing him along if he is ìmproving,  if it is cocci, it certainly wouldnt be anything new.

#38 2011-07-26 03:47:49

Susan
Administrator

I should have also said- thank you PG, that is very kind of you ! :)

Adverts

Board footer