Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-16 01:32:20

Susan
Administrator

Frosty is sick

Its been about a week now. Luckily he's been in quarantine since he got here. The girls however have been let into the flock. I picked him up and he is skinny. I dewormed him again with ivermectin and started feeding turkey grower because it has more protein. He's been eating voraciously. He sits hunched up most of the time or laying I'm the sun. His poops have been yellowish and loose. Any thoughts? There's no way he's going near my EOs unless he's A okay!

2011-07-16 01:32:20

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-16 01:47:21

gubi
Website

Re: Frosty is sick

I don't know what's wrong with him, but protein will make him grow but energy will make him put on weight.  With the cows if their ration is too high in protein their manure gets looser.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-07-16 01:57:54

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sorry to hear that Susan.  I am sure he has been dusted for lice etc, but maybe check him closely anyway, is his comb pink or red?  If pink he may be getting anemic from parasites, if red, maybe it is something else internal that is not right. 

Other possible thought would be cocci, I know he is older, but  maybe you have a different strain in your soil, and he may have been stressed with the move and not coping as well with the normal parasite load, though I am sure he's in heaven there.  We have had two strains here, I  think one from here, and one from chicks brooded elsewhere til a week old.  They both had cocci, but the brooded elsewhere ones didn't have blood in the poops, it was more insidious and started way younger they didn't lose weight as fast as the bloody poopers.  Giving him a course of amprol may not hurt if he is lice free etc and you can't think of anything else.

#4 2011-07-16 02:21:24

Susan
Administrator

But would cocci turn the poop yellow?

#5 2011-07-16 02:41:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Not necessarily, it would loosen it though.  Liver damage may turn it yellow if you think about black head in turkeys.  With our turkeys, with the liver damage from black head, ours got jaundiced faces and yellow poo.  The second batch of chicks with cocci had palest brown loose stools, some frothy, the first lot darker and lots of blood.  I have read it can vary a lot.

I am thinking if it is not parasitc, I guess it could be viral or something or maybe something like tumours in the liver.   OK just looked this up, chickens can get Histomoniasis, black head too.  Your own birds may be immune? I may be way off but it's worth a read.  Is his face yellowed at all, because the listless wings hanging weight loss is what we saw in our beltesvilles.  How yellow is the poo
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index … 03000.htm?

This was our turkeys poo sulfur yellow
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/blackpennyfowl044.jpg

#6 2011-07-16 05:16:45

poplar girl
Administrator

That's not good at all. I haven't handled my trio to check weight etc but they seem healthy still. They are also still in quarantine. I am uncertain if I should ever integrate them with the rest of my flock in fact.

Susan do the hens that were with him seem okay?

I surely hope this is not too serious.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2011-07-16 15:16:13

Susan
Administrator

The girls seem fine PG. I'm stumped. I would be careful too about integrating yours. This isn't anything I've seen before.

#8 2011-07-17 05:06:00

Island Girl

Hi Susan, I hope Frosty is doing better today.

#9 2011-07-17 11:15:51

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yes how is he doing?  Any more thoughts Susan? Is the poo that yellow?

#10 2011-07-17 14:09:41

Susan
Administrator

Thanks guys. He seems about the same. Yes the poop was that yellow but way runnier. That seems to be improving. His comb was pale and being that skinny, I thought it was parasites (either internal or external) so I thought I'd wait and see if the ivermectin did the job before trying anything else. I don't know if my next choice would be amprol (for cocci) or metronidazole (for blackhead) if things don't improve further right away. Thoughts?.

#11 2011-07-17 15:55:55

poplar girl
Administrator

Does he have any respiratory symptoms? If you listen to his chest anything?
I was told the birds were treated with non shedding ILT vaccine but not sure when the last treatment was.
If your young turkey is healthy it seems unlikely Frosty has blackhead to me.

I think not knowing is probably the worst.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2011-07-17 17:06:30

Susan
Administrator

No respiratory symptoms and the turkeys are fine (knock on wood). He is separated, but I do worry about spreading it, whatever it is. So you think try Amprol?

#13 2011-07-17 19:49:10

poplar girl
Administrator

Geez Susan, I don't know. If he is quite sick and has funny poo cocci makes sense. Are all his poops yellow and runny? Just scared to jump to conclusions as chicken poo can certainly vary, there is a wide range of normal. Do you have amprol on hand?

Did you treat him with Ivemectin when you first got him? Just wondering if it would be smart to wait a few days after this dose of ivemectin to see if he gets any better.

How about some vitamins in his water? Or maybe some high energy food. I feed mine diced liver (cooked) mixed with root vegetables like beets, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots when I want to give them a boost.

I really don't know.

#14 2011-07-17 20:24:19

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Susan my eo rooster that I hatched did the same thing he got very thin and did not want to move i kept ivromenting ( I know i spelt it wrong) him and after about a month he got better.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#15 2011-07-17 23:06:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Check this out, Cynthia's droppings page for normal v's abnormal.  It says "Sulphur yellow, foamy dropping can be a sign of Blackhead (Histamonosis) which is caused by a protozoan parasite infecting the gut.  It is however rare in back yard hens ! " 
I think this is an English site so rates of various illnesses may vary too   
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

I have no real experience with worms, but if it takes a few days to see a result then maybe do that.  Then if there is an improvement you will know what the cause was, with no confusion.  If you want to do the cocci meds after that then you could try it, I don't think it is a hard on them as the deworming.  Metronidazole is actually an antibiotic used in humans as well, if you give him that, he is not aloowd any alcohol =D  Whatever you give, just do one thing at a time.  Give him fancy high protein treats but don't give multivitamins in water if treating for cocci as it will inhibit the effectiveness of the amprol or sulmet.  Also will dilute his dose if he has a second source of water.  Do you have to look at poops for shed worms or something?  :sick:  I hope you figure it out and he gets better soon. 

Here's another poop thread, some links are broken but there good descriptions, they say yellow/foamy for worms too.
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.c … 1158478320

#16 2011-07-22 22:53:04

Susan
Administrator

Thanks for more info claire. I'm really at a loss. I've wormed him and started the Sulmet its supposed to rain a fair bit over the next day or two, so I just brought him back into the barn. I have never felt a bird so thin.  Haven't been handling him much because I don't want to spread anything but now I see he is even skinnier than before. I do not like to see my birds suffer and its getting to the point that he is suffering and in need of an end I'm afraid.

#17 2011-07-23 00:14:46

poplar girl
Administrator

:( so sad to hear Susan but as you say there is something to be said for ending an animal's suffering sometimes. It sounds like you are strong enough to end his suffering if needed? I am not, my DH is always called on to help me with that which is not fair.

I hope he begins to recover though. That would be so much better an end result.

#18 2011-07-23 00:45:27

gubi
Website

I'm sorry to hear that, it is always the hardest if you tried everything and at the end you still have to end the suffering!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#19 2011-07-23 00:45:46

Susan
Administrator

Yes, I'll give him one more day. And no PG, I cannot kill them either. Nothing grosses me out. I can take on any wound and have performed spays, neuters and sutured animals etc at the clinic, but I can't kill them with an axe. If I could euthanize them with a shot , I could do that. Thankfully JCE's Mom helps me out when necessary. Thanks JCE's Mom!!!!!

#20 2011-07-23 00:49:56

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

:lol:

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#21 2011-07-23 00:58:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Shame Frosty is so skinny. :sad: It takes a few days to see an improvement usually, seems slower than with antibiotics in my experience.  You do what you have to, it's no good when they are suffering.   I guess the main thing is if he is still eating give him a chance on then meds, if he is all huddled up, weak and not eating, you may need to summon JCEs Mom.  Fingers crossed, hope he pulls through.

#22 2011-07-23 01:32:40

Susan
Administrator

Thanks Claire, and JCE- stop laughing at me! :oops:

#23 2011-07-23 04:03:30

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

I could do that. Thankfully JCE's Mom helps me out when necessary. Thanks JCE's Mom!!!!!
But is was funny

I am sorry frosty is sick he was going to work well with your hens.

#24 2011-07-24 03:08:25

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think it was more of a smile than a laugh!  Lucky you guys live so close! =D

#25 2011-07-24 03:55:00

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

okay if it was a smile then I will smile :)
Then frown becase frosty is sick and will most likely have to be putdown :(

Last edited by JaerhonChanteclerEuskies (2011-07-24 03:58:15)

Adverts

Board footer