Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-20 17:58:22

Micah and Kiah

How do I not count my chickies before they hatch?

Lynn and I double checked the Fur and Feather eggs Saturday.  We saw the same things that I did alone so guess that means I am learning!  (thank you Scratch Cradle for those great pics)
42 eggs went into the incubator 7 are clear and 3 were early quitters.  We have 2-3 question eggs but let them go into lock down so 32 eggs made it to lock down in my old Hovabator!

IF we have a perfect hatch (I believe in miracles)  There would be:
8 EOs
4 Barnevelders
5 Partridge Chantecleurs
2 White Chantecleuers
3 Blue Wheatens (one is a question mark)
4 Tiny self blue D"Uccles (one is a question mark)
2 Favorelles
2 Americanas (one is a question mark)
2 mixes

Day 21 is Tuesday.  There are two Speckled Jim eggs in there and 6 eggs from Paula (I don't know what their daddy's name is)  So on Tuesday there is a chance I could have EOs!!!  Then I can finally make an avatar. :funny:
I am trying VERY hard to be nonchalant this time as I was crushed by the poor hatch we had last time however I am still asking if folks could send us good hatching vibes! 32 healthy, happy :chickout:  :please:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

2012-05-20 17:58:22

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-20 19:43:06

gubi
Website

Re: How do I not count my chickies before they hatch?

:hatch:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-05-20 20:04:14

Lisa

:cheer: :hatch: :cheer:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#4 2012-05-20 22:30:22

Helliefant

Sending vibes....:wine:

#5 2012-05-20 23:17:35

Susan
Administrator

:hatch:   Hoping the best for you!! And don't worry, even if the hatch is poor, it will be the EOs popping out for sure!

#6 2012-05-21 00:20:03

Flat Rock Farm

Kathy you don't want to know their Daddy's name as most of the time it wasn't something nice :shock:

Hoping for a great hatch for you :wine:  :chickout:

#7 2012-05-21 00:22:03

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yes Good luck!  :thumbs:  You really realize where that saying came from, don't count your chickens before them hatch once you start hatching! :shock:  Hope you get lots of lovelies this week! :hatch:

#8 2012-05-21 01:57:00

NaturesPace
Website

Go chickies!
* * * Good vibes * * *

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#9 2012-05-21 11:52:48

poplar girl
Administrator

:happycrowd" Good Vibes Your Way :hatch:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2012-05-21 15:46:37

Micah and Kiah

A Heatlhy Early Bird! :jumping: Lynn gave me this lovely blue Americana egg. (along with some pretty Favorelles and another nice  Americana) I got to see this first chick pip around then stick her little wings out and flap and finally pop the egg top!  A busy wee pullet she barely stopped to rest before squiggling her bum out of the egg.  It is not great to photograph through the incubator plastic top but we tried.  I wonder what we should name her, any ideas?

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1060341.jpg

Last edited by Micah and Kiah (2012-05-21 15:49:02)

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#11 2012-05-21 16:09:23

Flat Rock Farm

:congrats:, well you seem quite optimistic that it's a hen there Kathy, don't be too disappointed if it's a rooster :duh:

As Lynn and myself can contest to that they are very hard to tell what they are until they..........CROW!!  Right Lynn :funny:

Lets hope its the start to a great hatch :jumping:

#12 2012-05-21 16:53:13

Lindy Lou

I'm so glad she hatched okay. I love it when my eggs bear fruit. Not mine literally but you know what I mean :funny:
May there be many more  :hatch:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-05-21 17:26:22)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#13 2012-05-21 19:54:35

Micah and Kiah

Two Barnevelders joined little hen Lynn!  Paula, I decided to call all the chicks hen's or pullets until they are proven guilty of being roos. :thumbsup: I even sang them a little chickie song as they were in the eggs asking them to be healthy and be hens!  I am a vegetarian so if we have a lot of roos Dennis will be eating chicken all winter!
My oldest Whyndotte (9 week old) makes an odd throat clearing noise that sounds suspisiously like a teen age crow...

Where are my EOs?  Aren't they usually born on day 20?
Dennis want me to write you guys a question, If by tonight there are no others starting yet can he quickly take out these three?
I think I know how you will answer this question but gotta give the Micah part of this duo a chance too!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#14 2012-05-21 20:35:52

Flat Rock Farm

Kathy tell Denis, NO, LOL.   

Leave them in they have a nice tummy full of yolk.  They should be fine until Tues night/ Wed. morning.  If you really feel the need to take them out, be quick and have a cup with hot water to add to the incubator to keep the humidity up.

Congrats on the other 2 additions!!!

#15 2012-05-22 00:00:46

Micah and Kiah

I will ask him to read your post Paula! :funny: You see the incubator is in a tiny bathroom in the basement and he says he can get the  room temp and humidity to equal the incubator then steal out the three fluff balls.  My hubby is being quite adorable and as bad as me! We need someone to come over, lock the incubator and take away the key!:funny:  How could I forget how tiny and fluffy these little guys are when they are born!   They are walking on strong straight legs, chirping from big healthy lungs and have the cutest round yolk tummies! :love:

If Dennis and I get really good at hatching, could we just hatch for people all year round as our profession?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#16 2012-05-22 00:18:48

Susan
Administrator

I know I am against the norm here, but I think the sooner they eat and drink, the better. I would scoop any babies at 12 hour intervals and mist with warm water after. I've always done it this way and always will. Sometimes even more often as long as the babies have fluffed out. I am also not averse to helping them out of an egg if need be. I am in the minority however, so take what I say if you like after considering here what others have said.

#17 2012-05-23 07:27:20

Micah and Kiah

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1060414.jpg

My first EOs!!!!!!!  These guys look like cotton balls painted yellow.  Big, fluffy, gentle... I think they walk slightly differently then the other wee waddlers in the incubator.  Dennis described them as reminding him of kids with  cardboard "cars"  they pick up, shuffle-shuffle, and drop.  When we enter the room they are the only ones that just stare up at us.  Wish I knew how to turn the pick into our avatar!

Only  one TPC  He hangs out with a little guy, not much bigger than himself with goofy eyebrows
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1060406.jpg

32 eggs went into lock down.  I had question marks about 3 so that leaves 29 and we got 20 chickies!   

I read we are to leave the other eggs in there for two more days in case there are late comers.  is that true?  Dennis would like to just get them cleared out.

What do you think? 

Waiting for the last 4 chicks to dry out in the incubator, I am worried about one of them...give you a final count tomorrow.  Sad there was only one TPC.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#18 2012-05-23 11:18:00

poplar girl
Administrator

:congrats: on your new chicks! There should be I structures on how to make an avatar...Here we go http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=3

The good thing about hatching is you don't have to do anything, you can do what you feel is best. I usually wait about 12 hours from when the last activity happened befor starting to clean up the incubator. When I feel a hatch is done and go to remove the unhatched, unpipped eggs I hold each on to my ear for a few seconds to listen for any cheering or tapping. Sometimes with a fingernail I will tap the egg and then see if I get a response. If I hear nothing I assume the chick is dead. If I hear something I (freak a bit and) put the eggs back in!!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#19 2012-05-23 12:00:01

Lisa

Another way to check is to gently drop the questionable egg in a bowl of cool water - if there is a live chick, it will twitch and move the egg - pop it back in the bator quick....

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#20 2012-05-24 07:23:26

Micah and Kiah

The first chick hatched Victoria Day and the final chick hatched a couple hours ago! The youngest is still wet and the oldest is sprouting wing feathers! 

So here is the final count!

3 out of 8 EOs
4 out of 4 Barnevelders
4 out of 5 Partridge Chantecleurs
1 out of 2 White Chantecleuers
3 out of 3 Blue Wheatens
2 out of 4 Tiny self blue D"Uccles (maybe 3...you see there is a tiny chicken in there called the mystery chick, it isn't gray though!)
2 out of 2 Favorelles
2 out of 2 Americanas
1 out of 2 mixes

23 Little Fluff Balls!  Dennis and I are very thrilled with our wee ones!  May photos to follow! 
EO question:  Their fluff seems shorter and denser than the other chicks, have others found that?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#21 2012-05-24 11:17:25

poplar girl
Administrator

That is an amazing hatch :thumbsup:

Interesting your observation about the EO chick fluff being shorter and denser, I just had one hatch yesterday (yes a one egg hatch, I set about a dozen eggs but only one was fertile) and the little chick has such L O N G fluff I was amazed! So I guess it depends on the chick and to what breeds you are comparing to!

#22 2012-05-24 16:07:59

NaturesPace
Website

Congrats getting your first EOs!!! And many others. Sounds like a wonderful mix. So you got 3 more after you thought they were all done?
Indeed you are learning fast how to incubate well.

:EO:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#23 2012-05-24 19:09:55

Micah and Kiah

We were sure they were all done and went to sleep.  When we woke up there were two more chicks waiting!  The last one was a little LD. It had pipped in a spot where we didn't see it and then got dried out when we went in at the 36 hour mark to get the other chicks.  It was a real fighter!  It was trapped for hours before we discovered it.  Dennis helped it as the membrane was impossible for a chick by that time.  It is doing very well.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#24 2012-05-25 03:51:08

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:congrats: That's great!  Well done.  :hatch:

I just drove home from London after a 12 hour day :roadtrip: :Crazy: and I have 9 chanties out (so far) in the bator, they are certainly the early birds this year!  :jumping:

#25 2012-05-25 06:15:38

Micah and Kiah

That is great Claire!  I need to post a photo or two of all the yellow coloured fluff balls.  3 of them are EOs, 1 is a White Chantie, 2 are Favorelles, some americanas and I am confusing some of them!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer