Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2012-05-18 12:43:23

gubi
Website

Re: Fertile eggs

LL I should I would love to see your barn and critters but I rarely leave the farm, I love being at home!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

2012-05-18 12:43:23

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2012-05-18 13:19:11

Lindy Lou

I feel the same way but it is also important to your mental health and well being to venture further afield. Especially to see someone else's hobby farm. :funny: Anytime you would like please drop by and see us  Euskal owners are always welcome.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#28 2012-05-18 14:21:30

Micah and Kiah

Scratch Cradle sent a fantastic link to their site and their photos are excellent.  I can't locate my link could someone repost?  I'll recheck the strand of my first hatched eggs...

Here is a school link I found helpful:   http://lancaster.unl.edu/4h/embryology/ … otos.shtml

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#29 2012-05-18 14:47:29

Micah and Kiah

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#30 2012-05-18 15:25:32

Lindy Lou

Thanks

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#31 2012-05-18 16:47:25

Micah and Kiah

Stephan, I am interested in the results of your experiment, it sounds very interesting. Would you consider just altering one variable, the turning rather than both turning and water?

Is the first step of CA admitting you have a problem?  :shock:
I might be willing to admit that I might really enjoy hatching chickies  :chickout:
We bought another Hovabator at auction for $40 to use as spare parts but it works perfectly so after a good cleaning with virkon I really should do a test hatch...
Oh and a family was moving from the farm to a chickenless city and needed to sell their Brinsea 20 Eco so...well...it is important to help people in need right?  :thumbsup:
And what better way to test it then with Paula's D'Uccles! :jumping:
And now of course my neices and nephews would benefit from the education experience of hatching some eggs at their homes! 
So I don't need CA, I don't have a problem  :funny:
Oh yeah, Claire, I'll be by a week from tomorrow to pick up the Pendescena eggs  .:whistle:

Last edited by Micah and Kiah (2012-05-18 16:55:40)

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#32 2012-05-18 16:50:24

Lindy Lou

Another ones enters the world of the hopelessly addicted. You will find yourself talking to people who think all chicken comes from KFC and after 10 minutes their eyes will glaze over bec ause they don't have a clue what you are talking about.

#33 2012-05-18 18:39:19

gubi
Website

Micah and Kiah you are moving very fast!  At least it took me 2 years to go from one incubator to 2 but what I should have done is skip the second one and go straight to a Brinsea 380!  The only thing I'm doing different from this hatch to last hatch is the turner.  Last hatch I did completely dry except for hatching where I added lots of water and I had a very good hatch with my EO's 15/17 and Paula's EE's 8/11.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#34 2012-05-19 01:28:43

Micah and Kiah

Don't worry Gubi, it might seem like we are starting quite fast but actually, I am home right now due to recovering from a serious accident that messed up my knee.  I am working hard on physio and have hope for a complete recovery.  Learning about chickens and starting our dream laying flock has been, well it has helped me cope and distract me from the negatives.  We will start at this pace and then back way off to a managable pace for when I am back to work.

So it is ok, you can help me be a hatch a holic!  :thumbsup:

Please let me know how the experiment goes Gubi.  I would love to get our Hovabators working at peak performance.  What was the relative humidity you used during hatch?

There is space in the bator for the the run starting May 22st  :happycrowd"
Anyone want to "help" me fill the bator?:funny:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#35 2012-05-19 01:39:10

gubi
Website

I don't know how high my humidity was.  I didn't bother putting my thermometer/ humidity reader in anymore this year.  I just filled every single trough with water at lockdown and then I had to refill it again when the chicks started to hatch.  I now only use my spotcheck.

#36 2012-05-20 12:41:01

ChestnutRidge
Website

I am sorry I missed the call for candling pics!  I've been finishing up my degree and the school year at work, so my brain looks something like a scrambled egg at this point. 

Gubi, do you use any water during the first 18 days?

Adverts

Board footer