Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-15 15:58:23

Lisa

Possible electric fence order...

H'Lo All! =D

This is a repeat of a message I put on our other Ontario chicken site... wasn't sure who looked where. Also wasn't sure that this message belonged here - mods, can you move it to the appropriate spot for me??? Here's the message....

I have decided I want to pasture some chickens this year, and am looking into ordering portable electric net fencing.

I've spoken with a fella at the Canadian Wool Growers - they carry Premier One fencing. He told me that they carry the regular PoultryNet from Premier (48 inches high by 164 feet long, with poles every 12 feet). The one with the single spikes would be $195 + HST, and the double spikes would be $215 + HST. This stuff is really light and easy to use.

For those of us who are as green to electric fencing as I am, you also need a charger to go with the fence. The charger is either battery operated (less expensive) or plugged into hydro (more expensive). The battery ones can also be charged from solar panels - DH being in the business, I can look into twisting his arm... er asking him nicely.... what the "EO price" would be for the right kind and number of solar panels needed to charge the fence, if anybody wants me to...

The chargers at CWG ranged from $150 to $750. The nice fella told me "if you are just playing around with one or two rolls, the $200-$245 charger will be fine". Makes me wonder how much fencing a SERIOUS chicken pasturer uses!!! :P

DH also said that chargers were easily available elsewhere (like TSC or Can. Tire), so I'm guessing it doesn't have to be a specific charger, just strong enough to do the job.

The CWG is in Cookstown, and DH is headed nearly there on Thursday this week (so could retrieve for all in this area who want them and we'd have an excuse for another breakfast!).

The fella let me know if I brought in a big enough order, expecially if it was picked up, he might be able to be a bit more flexible on price.

Anybody else interested? =D

Lisa

Last edited by Lisa (2012-05-15 15:59:11)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2012-05-15 15:58:23

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-15 17:14:44

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Possible electric fence order...

Bayshore in Owen Sound were less than that for beaumont fence.  We got ours there.  We paid $160 for real poultry net and 120 for the sheep stuff for 170 odd feet.  Get at least a 30 mile fencer a s the nets loses a lot of power to the ground.  We tried 1 mile fencer and one is still in the packet it was useless.  Bayshore will order in the fence, I bought the sheep stuff in the store then ordered 3 more chicken ones with 2" high holes at the bittom.  Sorry bout typos, I'm working in Linsday and in my phone but though you may want to call Bayshore feeds too.  Tell them you know Claire and Nathan smith!.  They know us!!

#3 2012-05-15 23:08:28

Lisa

Thanks Claire!

Will call tomorrow.... =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#4 2012-05-16 00:55:08

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Lynn will tell you they are easy to work with!   She and we gets her meds etc there for a fraction of the price of the Co-op or TSC.  They don't mark things up as high as they could and pass on any deals they get on their buying.  They are so helpful every time we go and often send people our way who are looking for fancy chooks! 

I just tried googling it can can't find the brand, I am pretty sure it's Beaumont, they are made in Germany, the fences, and the younger fella there ordered it for us from their supplier.  I am gapping on his name, Doug is his Dad who's there too.   They keep some rolls in the store but it's the sheep stuff with even sized holes all the way down and the birds will duck through it when younger.  We still have one lot in the box but I can't check til I get home Friday.

#5 2012-05-16 00:56:43

poplar girl
Administrator

Wish you lived close enought to help me source some electric net fence Lisa, I need to find some!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-05-16 01:19:33

Lindy Lou

I can vouch for what Claire said. They are really good to work with and very helpful. The med prices there are really something. I bought Noremetin for $40.00 less than I could get it locally which even with the price of gas is still well worth the drive.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#7 2012-05-16 02:03:03

gubi
Website

Lisa did you talk to Tim at Brussels Agri services yet?  He's a lot closer and great to deal with too.  With energizers you usually get what you pay for.  I would never buy one at TSC.  It might be cheaper put they are cheaper.  We have a couple of them sitting around here doing nothing.  But we have 3 Gallagher chargers running our fences.  I need to buy a couple more rolls too this year I think.  I like single spike fence the best.  double spikes are fine when they are new but when they get 5 6 years old or older and the spikes start to rust a bit and bend they can be almost impossible to get in the ground.

I have my EO's in a sheep fence this year and they haven't escaped yet.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2012-05-16 02:40:31

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Ours are single spike too.  We use Cinder blocks and nylon rope to pull the corners out (like a tent guy rope) as they round inwards. 

We have 2 Gallagher fencers.  One was here when we moved in, the other is identical and was maybe $400.  One was for the cows, one for the chooks.  The crappy ones are Red snapper maybe, they are red and you seriously can touch the fence with no fear of shock! We did 2 lines of the poly rope stuff round our veggie garden so maybe 240 feet total and :banginghead: what a waste of time.  The Gallaghers will make you scream!  :shock:  And hopefully makes foxes, wild dogs, racoons and weasels scream too.  The dorkings and turkley poults were the worst for going through the sheep fence and one Millie D'uccle used to get in the veggie garden and eat all the ripe tomatoes she could reach.  Good thing she was  a banty ;).  We chucked the half eaten ones over the fence to the waiting hordes!

#9 2012-09-24 16:21:57

TicketyBoo

I'm surprised that you have good luck with keeping chickens in the sheep fence.
We have just the sheep fence right now and the only birds that stayed in were the Turkeys, but if they really wanted out they would just hop over.  They're so passive though that as long as their feed and water was on the inside, they stayed in.

The chickens and ducks however....they just climb right through the electric fence (which is hooked to a Trident zapper).  The broilers eventually stay in, but by the time they're big enough to they're just about ready to be dinner anyway.

I'm lusting after 2 rolls of the actual poultry netting,  thanks for the tip about Bayshore!   We've bought our sheep fence from Brussels and CCWG, both have similar prices and we really REALLY love the net fence. Our sheep are rotated onto fresh pasture every day during their milking season so it's a huge time saver to have the net fence.

Also for the double spike, I suppose it's useful if you live in an area with few rocks, but around here it's challenging enough to find a good spot for one spike, nevermind two ;)

As for fencers, if you can find the poultry net with the vertical plastic struts like the sheep fence, it doesn't sag and you don't have the same grounding out.  In that case you can use a fencer from say, Princess Auto, with good success.

Our first roll didn't have the struts and it was a lighter weight wire, it's 2.5yrs old and just about done.  The Premier1 brand is much more durable.

Last edited by TicketyBoo (2012-09-24 16:22:44)

Adverts

Board footer