Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-14 23:23:02

Flat Rock Farm

Coughing and rattly chicks - Advise

Hi all:

So I need some advise I have two week old chicks in my brooder in the house that are coughing and rattly.  They have not been exposed to anything.  Now I have put some Super Booster in their water but does anyone know if Tetracycline is safe to give to chicks that young??
It sounds like an upper respiratory infection just not sure on how or what to treat chicks this age with, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :thanks:

2012-05-14 23:23:02

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-14 23:42:26

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Coughing and rattly chicks - Advise

Oh no, sick babies! :sad:

I am no expert, others will be more help than me I am sure, but mycoplasma can transfer with the egg so that is my initial thought. I do think you can give them tetracycline but tylan would be more effective if it is mycoplasma.

When I was reading about chook diseases this winter I read that chickens do not just come down with a "cold" like people do. When they get those symptoms is can be a number of different causes though which makes it complicated. Mycoplasma seems to be one of the most common though.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2012-05-15 00:07:08

Flat Rock Farm

Thanks PG, I have never had chicks sick at this age :nervous:.  Especially when there is no contact with the outside flock.  I don't want to loose any.

#4 2012-05-15 01:30:33

Susan
Administrator

That was my first thought too. Myco can transferred vertically through hatching eggs. My choice would be Tylan. and please don't panic. There has been a thread on another couple of forums where someone has destroyed all of her birds due to Mycoplasma. I feel for her and know she felt she had to, but it is rather a ubiquitous disease. I am sure I have had it here. I would much rather breed for resistance than cull everyone. I honestly think it is a wiser approach. Tylan, good food and sunshine as soon as you can. That is my advice.

#5 2012-05-15 01:32:46

Susan
Administrator

Oh one other thing. They actually can be exposed to it from your other birds. Myco can live in your nasal passages for 24 hours. Another reason to breed for resistance as opposed to culling. What if a person went to a bird show, did all he neccesary bio security And then tended their birds. Voila- exposure.

#6 2012-05-15 02:49:29

poplar girl
Administrator

I agree 110% Susan, i won't keep my birds in a bubble and I am almost certain I have myco here as well. I would never cull all my birds just as a result of that although I do have huge respect for the person who has delt with it as she feels is right (by culling).

I hope your birds recover quickly Flat Rock Farm.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2012-05-15 03:09:30

ipf

Any time you use antibiotics in a casual way you are (inadvertently) selecting the disease agent for resistance to the antibiotic. You may kill some (or even most) of the disease organisms, but, if any survive, they will be the ones with a small (or large) amount of natural resistance to the antibiotic.

And then they multiply. . . and guess what? they're antibiotic resistant! Very simple genetics.

This is why we have outbreaks of antibiotic resitant bacteria in hospitals, this is why Walkerton happened. I'm sorry to rant, but PLEASE, don't use antibiotics casually/irresponsibly!

WAY bettter (IMO) to breed for resistance, or vaccinate, or cull, or just accept the losses. I never use antibiotics.

Last edited by ipf (2012-05-15 13:54:06)

#8 2012-05-15 03:20:02

Susan
Administrator

I do understand what you are saying ipf. I am very reluctant to use antibiotics here. My background is microbiology and I know what you ate saying. Indiscrimant use of antibiotics is a dangerous thing. I will though sometimes give special birds a "one chance" especially if I think it is Myco. Tylan is good for treating it and if they survive with one treatment, I think they have proven themselves. I realize they are then carriers but I want birds that can fight it. Ideally, it would be choosing only those that show no symptoms, but I think one chance is okay too.yco will rear its head any time birds are sick or stressed. If they have had exposure, dealt with it and come out the other side, they have a spot in my breeding pen.

#9 2012-05-15 11:29:57

Flat Rock Farm

Well I don't think you can vaccinate for Myco at least not that I am aware of.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  I don't have any Tylan at the moment and I agree I hate to use antibiotics for the reasons made by ipf.  At the same time I am going to try and get them better and treat them with what I have.   I am not sure which chicks carried it but I had no eggs from my birds in this hatch, the purchased chicks (TPC, frizzle and silkies)  came from a hatchery.  The bantams I hatched from my birds are in a different brooder in my shed and hatched in an different incubator, they seem fine :huh:

#10 2012-05-15 13:12:36

Island Girl

Its good to hear these other opinions on Myco. It was very scarey to read the other thread/forum about Myco and culling. Thanks Susan for touching this subject with me when we talked :thumbs: I have flipped and flopped about this in my head and I do also respect what she felt she had to do (culling) and for carrying it through. BUT I am sure I have had it in my birds as well and if I get my flock were to get Myco now, knowing what I 'think' I know, I will breed for resistance. Of course we may need a new thread explaining what that would entail ;)

You are getting very level headed advice here FRF, I hope your birds come through this quickly!  :hug:

XOX Monika

#11 2012-05-15 13:21:40

Flat Rock Farm

Well I know my BLRW had it the summer of their first year, had no casualties and they came out of it just fine.  They were the only ones affected.  I know also that every bird carries it in them and that stress and conditions can bring it about.
I think culling is a bit extreme and not something that was even in my mind unless I see suffering involved.  I am off the Farmers Farmacy to get some Tylan Powder.  I am going to clean them out today, start them on Tylan and cook them up some eggs.  They all seem fine physically no droopy chicks and by the way the feed and water are be consumed they all have their appetites =D

Thanks everyone so far for your input, really appreciate it :thumbsup:

#12 2012-05-15 19:24:29

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sorry you have sick chicks Paula.  I am sure they'll be fine. 

I believe there are Myco vaccines in Europe, Germany at least I think.   Some types of myco have a higher chance of being carried through the eggs than others, they even have different incubation periods and everything.

#13 2012-05-15 19:45:12

Flat Rock Farm

Thanks Claire I really hope so!!!  :nervous:

I don't want to loose any there are 3 Coronations in there, 4 FWM, Susan's EO's and my order from PP.  I just cleaned them out of their dirty shaving and put in fresh, put some Tylan in their water and am just about to cook them an egg.  I just have never had this happen to chicks that were incubated and hatched in the house and have been brooded in the house with no exposure.  I understand about the it passing through the egg but #@%& (we need a censor smilie) LOL

#14 2012-05-16 00:34:21

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh dear.  Depending on what type of Myco, it could just as easily come from your birds or wild birds.  Just from you being out in the barn, no matter how careful, then coming into the house. Chicks can catch it from brooders/bators as well from any microbes out on the outside of eggs too as well as inside. 

I learned a lot about it the other year, it is uber contagious and infectious bonchitis even more so!  I also started to learned not to worry myself sick any more and feel like a failure or bad chook mother.  It still kicks in sometimes, but you have to override it and say to yourself, they get to be outside, live a good life and you look after them the best you can.  =D Hugs.  I know they are in good hands. :jumping:

#15 2012-05-22 01:27:50

Flat Rock Farm

Update:  After putting them on Tylan for 5 days the chicks seemed to have recovered :thumbsup:  Even the bantam frizzle cochin which was the worse and I almost culled is doing great.  Having chicks sick this young was a first for me, very nerve wracking :nervous:

Again thanks to all who gave me great advise, you guys are great :thumbs:

#16 2012-05-22 01:41:12

Micah and Kiah

Awesome news Paula!  Glad everyone is ok.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#17 2012-05-22 01:52:34

Susan
Administrator

Good to hear!

#18 2012-05-22 02:26:48

NaturesPace
Website

Yay! We all learn from your experience.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#19 2012-05-22 10:20:16

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Happy to hear that things are better now!

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#20 2012-05-22 11:17:58

poplar girl
Administrator

That's very good news! :)

#21 2012-05-24 12:14:30

Amblecroft
Website

:jumping:  Hope their recovery continues!

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

Adverts

Board footer