Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-08 14:19:10

Lindy Lou

Brinsea

After having three less than stellar hatches with our Hovabator I'm thinking maybe we should go up a step and take a look at the Brinsea products. Has anyone got one or tried hatching in one? I would be very interested in your imput. However at a $500.00 price ticket one wonders if a Sportsman used cabinet maybe a better proposition.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-05-08 14:19:10

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-08 14:42:45

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Brinsea

Poplar Girl has a Octagon with humidity pump, that's what I'd go for for smaller hatches.  The sportsman still have a learning curve, the Brinseas take care of the second guessing I think.

#3 2012-05-08 14:55:51

Lindy Lou

Thanks Claire. I guess I need to have the second guessing taken away :funny:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2012-05-08 15:59:03

Micah and Kiah

I think Paula purchased a Brinsea too. Wouldn't it be great, no second, third guessing!  In my case, no more stickies for daily notes of things to triple check.  Don't get a Sportsman unless you can resist the temptation of filling it, like you told me!
Fur and Feathers right near closing had used Sportsmans for $300

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#5 2012-05-08 16:13:35

Lindy Lou

Paula has a Lyons. Yes it would be nice to take some of the guesswork out of hatching. I look up why my chicks don't hatch and it says Humidity too high, Humidity too Low and I'm like "Okay which one is it. I know I keep the temperature pretty steady at 99.5 and I have never had it higher than 100.5 or lower than 98.5 so I don't think temp is my problem.
Ialso disconnect the fan before opening up the incubator too and the brooder room maintains a pretty steady temp as well. I guess it's like Claire says" Hatching is an art as well as a science"

#6 2012-05-08 16:22:31

Prairie Chick

Brinsea's look like wonderful machines, I have a sportsman.  I would love a octagon 40 but they are just so darned expensive.

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#7 2012-05-08 16:32:42

Island Girl

I have 2 Octagon 20 Eco with turning cradles, I really do like them. I like being able to have the option of easily starting hatches at different times but I do wish I had the humidity pump with mine and digital readings. I may update next year :huh:  I checked Clayton's site to make sure I was telling you the correct model and now I am drooling over the  portable brooder. Check this out guys, :love:  http://www.cbotkin.ca/Online_Store/Incu … fault.html

XOX Monika

#8 2012-05-08 16:49:28

Micah and Kiah

That is a dangerous site to me!  I am coveting the Octagon 40 advance model.  If only the chickens would lay golden eggs!  How long does food poisoning take to get better from?  I was really hoping Dennis and I could drive to that Fenlon Falls Fur and Feather Auction.  I was told there  might be incubators there.  Dennis kindly offered to hold my hands so I don't have to sit onthem:funny:  We could phone you Linda if any Brinsea show up we could email you photos and be your bidders!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#9 2012-05-08 17:05:00

Lindy Lou

No tempting allowed Kathy. I can't afford to buy a Brinsea until later in the year or maybe even next.

#10 2012-05-08 17:06:58

Micah and Kiah

Golden eggs, we need to watch for Golden eggs!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#11 2012-05-09 01:57:16

poplar girl
Administrator

I have an Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance AND an Ova-easy 190 advance. I have been mostly using the Ova-easy as an incubator and the Ocatagon as a hatcher. Today the very first EO chicks of my breeding are hatching (Wellie and Honey are parents!) and I have one beautiful little turkey poult courtesy of Susan's pair so far!

Love the digital readout of temperature and humidity.

I did buy a Brinsea spot check thermometer and my Octagon is about 0.5*C low and the Ova-easy is about 0.5*C high. I think you can recalibrate them but instead I just adjusted the set points. They hold temperature very steady. I was very surprised that the calibration was off so DO check.

I have not been using the humidity pump on the 190 during incubation, filling the tray 2x a day hold humidity at the perfect point of about 40%. I find the humidity pump is way undersized for the 190 so it runs almost constantly and the resevoir is way too small. I did use it when I went away for the weekend.

In the Octagon I do use the humidity pump all the time, incubating and hatching, and love it. I rarely have problems with shrink wrapped chicks and they dry and fluff very nicely.

Turner in both works great.

Cleaning of the Octagon is not too bad, the worst part is chick fuzz in the lid which to really clean out you need to unsecrew so I only do that end of season.

Clayton (cbotkin) is very good to deal with.

If the you can now get the Octagon 40 with the humidity pump (it was supposed to come out this year) that is what I would recommend if you need to pick just one incubator as it is a bit bigger than the 20 but otherwise a similar design.

I started with a hovabators and I do think these are much better.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2012-05-09 02:01:46

Lindy Lou

Thanks for all the information PG. I was reading about them today and was leaning towards the brinsea.

#13 2012-05-10 01:50:17

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I researched them and decided on and OvaEasy the night before I found my first pair of sportsmen at an auction sale the next day :doI?:  August '09!   Hope you gt what you want.  It may be worth placing a wanted ad on Kijiji or PSO in the late summer or fall  :jumping:

Adverts

Board footer