Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2012-05-11 17:28:01

Micah and Kiah

Re: Chick Colors

Time to set up your fourth EO breeding pen for young Sunny Claire!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

2012-05-11 17:28:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2012-05-11 17:56:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I bet Sunny's babies will be ivory coloured at hatch!  He was, so was his little brother.

#28 2012-05-11 22:06:21

Micah and Kiah

Sunny is your roo that looks closest to a Roo on the Spanish Standard, right?  Ivory at hatch, turning to yellow affectionate fluff balls... sign me up for Sunny babies!  I am trying really hard not to count our next hatch before they are here, healthy, on the ground.  9 EO eggs in the bator along wiht lots of other lovelies;  Partridge Chanties, 3 Favorelles, Wheatens...

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#29 2012-05-12 11:08:57

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Neither are that far offm but that big guy with the 2 hens is Sonny Jim (Jims son) and Sunny was in with the bachelors and is Blondies and Curly's son.  He totally has potential.  They are both handsome dudes and I want chicks from both this year, but the two dads (Speckled Jim and Curly) threw those boys, so they get a chance too!  Just not enough EO hens here to go around!

When are they due again?  They were from Fur and Feather eggs right?  I have a flat of EOs locked down due on Sunday, and orders for 40 EO chicks by July  :nervous:

#30 2012-05-12 14:02:19

Terra-Blue
Website

Are you saying the females typically get their tail and shoulder feathers 5-7 days before the males?  We have shoulder feather popping out all over the place since I took these photos.

Joni Johnson
Terra-Blue Pyrenean Shepherds
www.terra-blue.net

#31 2012-05-12 14:47:11

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

No it's maybe 2-3 days before, and maybe a couple of days after the tail feathers come in on the pullets.  There's a little window of maybe a week where you can be more sure then the boys catch up...  So there are a few days when the tails are showing up and then the shoudl fetahers confirm it.  Look at the ones just getting shoulder fathers they will likely had  a tiny tufty tail too!  The boys may just be getting their tails starting by then but no shoulder feathers yet. 

Also a few days after the shoulder feathers show up well on the pullets, the next stage is they get a line of ideally pale reddish brown feathers down each side of the breast.  That's the last chance til 4-5+ weeks when the boys combs and wattles start to pop up.

I'd love feedback on my next observation, I noticed this last year but am more convinced now COMB COLOUR is related to skin colour.  I am noticing (and did last year) that some of the little say 2-4 week old chicks have a yellowish comb, and some a pink one.  At first I thought it may be sex related and it seems the smaller the comb, the more yellow the comb, but that could just be for another structural/physiological reasons.  Upshot is  I think the pinkers are white skinned.  I should go back and look at my old pick of individuals that turned out white or yellow legged.  I have definitely have boys with same size combs some yellow, some pink on the same diet, same age!  But it's just something look at for a second and comsider  when comparing the growth changes.  :Crazy:

#32 2012-05-15 01:05:33

Terra-Blue
Website

It seems like those that look more and more like boys are quick to run up to investigate when I put my hand in, but don't necessarily want to hang out perching on my hand or being touched.  There are a couple of what appear to me to be girls that run up and like to interact more.  The funniest thing is that almost every time I put my hand in with them the purple one runs/flies over and climbs up in my hand - usually being the first and always the most consistently friendly of all the chicks.  Purple was like that from day one.  There are a couple of others that are frequent to come, and then others who rarely do.  The bands have made it really interesting to watch this since when they come to me I usually check to see which it is.

Joni Johnson
Terra-Blue Pyrenean Shepherds
www.terra-blue.net

#33 2012-05-15 01:14:16

poplar girl
Administrator

Yep! Same thing here Terra-Blue, almost exactly the same. It's pretty neat to see how their personalities develope and especially the friendly ones are so much fun :love:

Claire I think every one of my first hatch has yellow legs so will need to watch batch #2 for the comb color.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer