Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-06 19:26:13

NaturesPace
Website

Mareks? Maybe?

Sounds like many are having issues with their birds recently.

Now think one of my Guineas has Mareks. She has been acting extra funny the last 4 days. I thought she might be getting ready to start laying eggs, but I found her today stuck in the window alcove to the basement. She was actually able to get out on her own, but choose not to. When she flew out, she then was stumbling around, walking backwards. Now she is just sitting in the grass, in the wide open. my husband said she was stumbling two days ago too.

What do I do if it is Mareks? No one here is vaccinated for it. The 2-3 month old chickens haven't had a lot of contact with the guineas, but I'm sure if one guinea has it the others are at least carrying it. The guineas free range and the chicks are contained, but the guineas can fly into the chickens run anytime they want.

None of the other guineas are acting differently.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2012-05-06 19:26:13

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-07 01:12:25

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Mareks? Maybe?

Oh sorry to hear you have a sick guinea NP.  I honestly don't know anything about them.  Maybe Prairie Chick or Pops will know whether Mareks is a possibility. 

Sometimes the neurological disturbances can be from mineral shortages, maybe some minerals/vitamin mixes may help turn her around if it is not anything infectious.  It may be worth keeping her separate and safe if she is not coordinated, it may contain anything infectious but will allow you to know if she is eating and drinking OK as well while keeping her our of harms way.

#3 2012-05-07 01:27:58

Susan
Administrator

I know this may sound harsh, but I don't think this is a bad thing especially in relation to the EOs. As much as I hate losing a bird, marek's resistance can be bred for ( as can a number of maladies/ diseases). I am sure in the past few years, I have lost 2 to mareks ( not EOs) but I'm sure it is here. And it is so endemic I an sure it is almost everywhere. I will only breed birds that have. It shown signs. If they do show signs and recover, they will have a place here, bit not be bred. I want a healthy, robust flock. Unfortunately that may mean a few casualties. I'm sorry you lost a bird NS. Don't panic though. Be strong, and give it time. Your flock will end up healthier for it :)

#4 2012-05-07 01:42:30

NaturesPace
Website

I posted on BYC and the main Guinea lady doesn't think they get Mereks so it is probably something else. She has never been a spunky gal. I thought she was ill when I first got her. Sounds like some guineas are just born weak and it can take awhile for them to succumb to it. She is separated and I'll have to see if she gets better.

#5 2012-05-07 02:09:37

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Right,  I wondered.  Poor girl.  I'd still try the minerals and see how she does.  Hope she comes around. :please:

#6 2012-05-08 03:11:48

pops coops
Website

I have never known of guineas to get Mereks

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#7 2012-05-12 16:00:03

ChestnutRidge
Website

I am so sorry, NP! I hope that it's nothing that affects the rest of your flock, and I hope that your girl gets better. :hug:

#8 2012-05-12 21:18:00

NaturesPace
Website

Thanks CR. looks like Guineas can't get Mereks so that's not her problem. She is just stumbling around but not getting better.

I should add, not getting worse either.

Last edited by NaturesPace (2012-05-12 21:49:48)

#9 2012-05-12 22:24:34

Flat Rock Farm

I am wondering if she has something neurological going on, or inner ear???

#10 2012-05-13 04:21:42

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

What about sinus infection, they get those don't they?  Does she have any hard bumps on her face?

#11 2012-05-13 14:25:08

Prairie Chick

What have you tried so far?  What about maybe some super boost, that way she is getting an antibiotic and vitamins :huh:

Last edited by Prairie Chick (2012-05-13 14:39:37)

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#12 2012-05-13 16:44:06

NaturesPace
Website

I had her isolated for a few days when it was raining, but have let her out since. She was eating some and I added poly vi sol to her water. She seems to be a little better today. Hanging with the rest of the flock and not stumbling as much.

She has always been a little off. Here is a response I got from one of the main guinea people from BYC.

"Some Guineas just fail to thrive, for whatever reason. Usually genetics or systemic issues due to incubation problems, too much inbreeding within the flock, un-hearty/poor breeding stock etc etc. There's a lot of things that can/will cause failure to thrive, sometime's it's impossible to narrow it down. If she's always been "off", then I'd guess that her "defects" have possibly reached their peak, and are finally taking her down. Sorry in advance if you lose her :( "

I've always thought that she will just not make it because she has never really been accepted as part of the flock. She is always a good 10 yards behind them. I'm not taking any extreme measures to help her. If she makes it through this she will be all the stronger for it. We were joking that she will probably be the guinea that we have for 10 years because she is the one we thought would die first. She has already out live two other ones who got hit by a car.

#13 2012-05-13 17:05:14

Prairie Chick

Glad to hear she is showing signs of improvement.

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

Adverts

Board footer