Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-06-27 16:18:41

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

How many chickens do you have and what kind?

We have about 55 chooks right now, 40 hens and 15 roos!  Oh and 7 chicks.  We have assorted rare and purple breeds, as I love lavender and blue chickens!   I seem to like blond hens too, wheatens and marradunas are very pretty.

We have lavender D'Uccles, Orpingtons & Ameraucanas, then Wheaten ameraucans, Partridge Chanteclers, Black Penesdesencas, two stubborn black sumatra hens on the verge of going broody and one last BLRW I am saving for her new home, and of course my lovely, friendly &  greedy Euskal Oiloa birds!

What do you guys have? It will be interesting to see what types of breeds people have as well as the basque hens!  :EO:

2011-06-27 16:18:41

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-06-30 01:18:02

Young Heritage

Re: How many chickens do you have and what kind?

I have 20 chooks. RIRs, Barred Rocks, GLWs, Light Brahmas, BO, and 1 American Game Hen "Rescue and the only pet chicken :whistle:"

Just finished 2nd coop so now I have room for 20 to 25 new chooks. I want them to be EOs.......Still waiting =D

Last edited by Young Heritage (2011-06-30 01:19:44)

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#3 2011-06-30 01:59:14

Susan
Administrator

Hi Young Heritage, and welcome! You've come to right place if you are looking for EOs! Where are you from?  Are you on someone's waiting list for eggs?

#4 2011-06-30 02:13:34

Young Heritage

Sorry, I have not updated my profile yet :whistle:

Yes. I am on a waiting list for eggs. How hard is it to get eggs or chicks from Canada to US?

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#5 2011-06-30 02:16:11

Susan
Administrator

To be honest, I'm not really sure. I think its easier to bring day olds across the border, but there is still paperwork involved.

#6 2011-06-30 02:20:00

Young Heritage

I am still a long way from the border :lol: I think it may be a very daunting task trying to find different blood in the US.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#7 2011-06-30 02:23:29

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:welcome: Young Heritage!  We definitely know more about getting them from the US to here.  We don't have any NPIP program or anything.  We should look into it.  I imagine some just get mailed as "Craft eggs".  I've never brought eggs in from the US, just chicks. And we figure if you can get chicks, a chick in the hand is worth 3 eggs in the bush!   To import to Canada it is exactly the same paperwork for eggs as chicks.  Adult birds is even more paperwork, so day-olds may be the way to go.

Sounds like you have quite the flock!  Good thing you still have room.  I can't wait to hear about your hatch once you get them!  You're on Skyines list, right?  I don't think it'll be long now.  Sounds like he's reorganizing everyone there! :chook:

#8 2011-06-30 02:35:31

Young Heritage

Yes I am on his list. If this breed is half as good as what  I have been reading about them, then they probably will replace the current ones I have. Except for Pat "The Game Hen Rescue".

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#9 2011-06-30 03:54:17

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yep, can't let the rescues and pets go! I have 2 petulant attention seeking and beautiful sumatras I could never get rid of!  Not so broody now, but now I have my first Euskal broody, my three year old!  First time any of the Euskal Oiloa have shown any broody signs.  :applause:  Now I have to get my Euskal rooster in with the right hens.

You just have to try these, then you'll know.  I hope you like them.  I think it is amusing that some of us have had many breeds and are choosing this at the top or int he top 2-3, as it so so hard to choose just one.

#10 2011-06-30 05:40:20

Skylinepoultry
Website

Cant give you exact numbers on each breed but I am now up to 43 breeds and counting.  If I had to guess, Id say I have A little over 350 birds and counting, lol.
Everyone is different on what they prefer and like in a breed. When I got my Marradunas hatched, I wasnt expecting nothing out of the ordinary but there was something special about them from chicks. They just seem to always stick out from all my other breeds. As they started to get bigger they just kept surprising me. Ive got alot of breeds and I do have certain things I like more in one breed than in another. But my awesome Marradunas just seem to be the total package to me. This is just my opinion.
:EO:

#11 2011-07-01 00:34:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I do agree they are special.  These are one of the most well rounded breeds we've had too.  They are different, so hardy and active, but not flighty.  :cheer:  I am glad I looked at those feathersite pictures, way back,  and decided to take a chance on them as there was no info on temperament!

That is a lot of chickens BTW!   We had that many last summer and hubby said too many!  Guess when he`s building the housing..... :oops:  Your birds are gorgeous on your website, you take great pictures of them too.  :thumbs:

#12 2011-07-01 04:26:21

Young Heritage

Found some info on the import/export laws and I am getting more excited. If we can find a breeder of SQ EOs in Spain we might can get some new blood. Also it doesn't look that bad to get eggs/birds from Canada. It is probably the easiest place to import to the US from. Just not sure on costs.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export … eggs.shtml

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#13 2011-07-01 16:25:38

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

We have Jaerhorn, White Buff and Partridge Chantecler, Euskal Oiloas, Barred Plymouth Rock, White Leghorns, Red Sussex, Cochin, Ameraucana, and Blue Laced Red and Buff Wyandotte.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#14 2011-07-01 18:12:53

lys
Website

:goodthread: I'm Elizabeth (Sebastopol on backyardchickens forum):hi:

I love Euskal Oiloa, Zwerg Lakenfelder and geese, ducks, swans, pheasants, pottokas and other horses (but haven't got any horse).

I have Beltza Euskal Oiloa. Also some Gorria, some Zilarra, Marraduna and only 2 Lepasoila.

Only 1 Zwerg Lakenfelder hen, Phoenix, Marans...

2 Extremeña azul, very beautiful, 1 Andaluza azul, Pedresas...

Last edited by lys (2011-07-01 18:22:03)

#15 2011-07-01 18:24:04

Young Heritage

lys wrote:

I have Beltza Euskal Oiloa. Also some Gorria, some Zilarra, Marraduna and only 2 Lepasoila.

I'm jealous :)

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#16 2011-07-01 18:29:27

gubi
Website

I raise Apenzeller Spitzhauben, Ameraucana(EE), Euskal Oiloas, Welsummer and silkies in blue and partridge for chickens.  We also have a few grey call ducks, a small herd of Boer cross goats, a small flock of suffolk cross sheep and a herd of purebred Brown Swiss cows.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#17 2011-07-01 19:13:40

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Young Heritage wrote:

lys wrote:

I'm jealous :)

Me too!

:welcome: Lys.  We are excited to have you here.  :jumping:  You have a lots of different birds :chook:  Oh, to have all those colours in Euskal oiloa!  We love our Marraduna, but the Gorria are pretty and the Belza.  I love black chickens! 

I have a couple of questions....
"2 Extremeña azul, very beautiful, 1 Andaluza azul, Pedresas..."

is Blue Andalusian?  Maybe Penedesencas?  What is Extremeña?  Another blue chicken?  Marans are great aren't they?  Are the Euskal eggs supposed to be as dark?  I read that they are supposed to be darker brown,  ours are mid to dark brown now but were pale in the first generation and shiny.  Have you had Euskal Oiloak a long time? 

I hope we learn lots about the Basque country and language from you :applause: and those goats are beautiful!  I hope you enjoy the site and the company!

Stefan, I didn't realize you had sheep too.  Those Brown Swiss are sweet looking cows.  You certainly have lots of EO chicks this year!

#18 2011-07-01 20:46:54

lys
Website

Extremeña is other breed, and Pedresa, too. Take a look to this link if you want to see more spanish breeds.
http://www.fesacocur.es/gallinas/index.htm

I have the 5 varieties of Euskal Oiloa, not many but I'm going to buy more to different breeders in the 3 provinces, only to have a good genetic pool and different bloodlines.
We have had always Marraduna Euskal Oiloak but I had to begin again because all were free and kikos (very small chicken breed) and Phoenix crossed with the Euskal, and marraduna hens had a lot of mixed chicks. Also the fox and other animals with 2 legs (humans!) robed a lot of hens.

Marans eggs are very dark, but E.O. eggs are only "morenos", not so dark.
http://www.marans.eu/echllang.htm#echelle

Scale from 1 to 9:
Nº 2- Nº3 color of Euskal Oiloa eggs.

Last edited by lys (2011-07-01 20:55:41)

#19 2011-07-02 02:23:41

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

They are beautiful, I had no idea there were so many.  Extremeña are beautiful, what are they like?  What type of chicken?  I grew up in England and always thought I'd have English breeds of chickens but I love the Spanish breeds, the Andalusians are smart, great instincts and friendly, and the penedesencas not as friendly but nice birds and good layers of beautiful eggs.

The darkest eggs we get from last years hens from the Euskal oiloas are 3-4 on the marans scale here, the first generation laid a 1 on the scale very pale.  Thanks so much for the links.  If we ever import and I fins the Extremeña are docile and friendly and hardy too....I might be tempted! :doI?:

#20 2011-07-02 19:11:41

gubi
Website

lys wrote:

I love Euskal Oiloa, Zwerg Lakenfelder and geese, ducks, swans, pheasants, pottokas and other horses (but haven't got any horse).

I'm glad you joined up here, we are all very interested in more knowledge of the Euskal Oiloak and trying to find information is very hard.  I have been able to google new information thanks to a few words that you have translated on BYC.  If you google vasca Marradune you find way more info then when you google Euskal Oiloa marraduna.
Just wondering is Zwerg a Spanish word too?  I'm of Swiss heritage and in Swiss and German Zwerg means bantam.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#21 2011-07-03 22:27:51

Flat Rock Farm

Well I haven't done a head count lately (maybe that's a good thing) but here is what I have Standard Wyandotte in SL, GL & BLR, bantam Wyandotte in BLR & GL, standard and bantam Amerucana, bantam Cochins in SL,GL, blue and back smooth & frizzle, Orloffs, silkies, Buff Chantecler commercial Leghorns, Euska Oiloa, Wheaton Marans and Sebastopol Geese.... yup that's all. =D

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2011-07-03 22:29:19)

#22 2011-07-04 16:06:02

lys
Website

gubi wrote:

lys wrote:

I'm glad you joined up here, we are all very interested in more knowledge of the Euskal Oiloak and trying to find information is very hard.  I have been able to google new information thanks to a few words that you have translated on BYC.  If you google vasca Marradune you find way more info then when you google Euskal Oiloa marraduna.
Just wondering is Zwerg a Spanish word too?  I'm of Swiss heritage and in Swiss and German Zwerg means bantam.

Zwerg is a german word. In spanish bantam means enana/o.
Zwerg Lakenfelder is a german breed. Lakenvelder in dutch and Lakenfelder in german. Both countries say that breed are theirs.

#23 2011-07-04 21:27:23

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The "shadow on a sheet" chickens right? =D    I just love the Extremeña azul :love:

#24 2011-07-05 15:50:39

lys
Website

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Well I haven't done a head count lately (maybe that's a good thing) but here is what I have Standard Wyandotte in SL, GL & BLR, bantam Wyandotte in BLR & GL, standard and bantam Amerucana, bantam Cochins in SL,GL, blue and back smooth & frizzle, Orloffs, silkies, Buff Chantecler commercial Leghorns, Euska Oiloa, Wheaton Marans and Sebastopol Geese.... yup that's all. =D

If you want and if is possible we could do in winter/spring an exchange Sebastopol-Euskal Oiloak (the 5 varieties).:jumping:

Last edited by lys (2011-07-05 16:29:19)

#25 2011-07-06 04:17:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:cheer: Wow isn't that a great offer Paula!?  All the 5 colours!  :thumbs:   The sebastopol are gorgeous too.  I let it slip to my husband that they "chew things" and he has distinctly gone off them!  :banginghead:

Adverts

Board footer