Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2012-05-13 01:01:48

ChestnutRidge
Website

Re: Future Apple Orchard

Beautiful! :cheer:  Your homestead is so well-documented.  :pics: I love it!

2012-05-13 01:01:48

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2013-03-23 20:43:53

NaturesPace
Website

Got my first trees planted on our property. 4 apples and 2 pears. Now we just need to wait 4-5 years for apples.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#28 2013-03-23 22:00:04

riverbendfarm
Website

Well done NP! Last year I planted my orchard at Riverbend Farm: 3 apples (Cortland, Crimson Gravenstein, Honeycrisp), 2 pears (Anjou, Clapp's Best), 2 peaches, 2 sweet cherries and 2 plums. In the nut grove so far we have 2 Carpathian Walnuts. We hope to add asian pears to the orchard and hazelnuts, japanese heartnuts and pecans to the nut grove. And YES, this is in Canada =). :Canada::Canada::Canada:

Last edited by riverbendfarm (2013-03-23 22:02:48)

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#29 2013-03-23 22:57:05

NaturesPace
Website

we got our trees at Vintage Virginia Apples.

Pears
1x Flemish Beauty
1x Magness

Apples
1x Golden Russett
1x Grimes Golden - but got a Golden Pearmain instead (not my choice just what they gave me by mistake)
1x Virginia (Hewes) Crab
1x Albemarle Pippin (the local favorite)

we need to get some nut trees started too. I want plums, but they are susceptible to many diseases around here.
also on our list are blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Those might have to wait till we are living on the property.

today we had to go to the pond and fill 5 gallon buckets with water to water the trees. Sure hope it rains in about 5-7 days again or we will be hauling more water to them.

#30 2013-03-24 13:45:13

riverbendfarm
Website

Oh NP I feel your pain. Last summer was the worst drought this area has seen in over 20 years. I lugged buckets to my trees all through July and August, but they lived! Now if I can just keep the bloody deer off them :banginghead:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#31 2013-03-24 14:01:24

Maggiesdad

:stomp: Blasted deer! They trimmed all my babies over the winter... Oh well, I need to do some pruning anyway.

I've grafted 16 pears onto calryana roostock (3 var) and I've still got 20  m-111  roots to do for my brother. He said a ready made orchard would make a great housewarming gift!

Two of the pear varieties are from old gnarly trees at the place where we grew up. The trees are almost dead now - they were there when my dad moved there in '36. I have no idea if they will take, but what the heck - it's worth a try!

#32 2013-03-24 14:54:33

Flat Rock Farm

Oh no MD, that's sad.  I was going to ask how they fared after this winter.  Hope your new grafts take :thumbs:   The first year we planted our orchard of  apple and pears trees I wrapped the trucks so the rabbits would not chew them.  No problem with deer's the dogs keep them away.

NP sounds like you have a good variety of fruit trees.

#33 2013-03-24 15:33:31

NaturesPace
Website

I also wrapped the base with hardware cloth and then we caged them with concrete reneforcing wire. I should have taken some photos. We have cattle on the property and I didn't want them to get trounced, but figured it would help with the deer too.

RBF - fingers crossed we don't have a drought this year. We were pretty lucky last year withthe amount of rain we got. The biggest problem is that we don't have any facilities on the property yet. A truck, a pond and buckets.

#34 2013-03-25 18:56:06

NaturesPace
Website

From the class I took...
Deer control:
- small bags of human hair (dirtier the better)
- bars of soap, keep the wrapper on, drill hole in bar and hang from tree.
- hot sauce spray
- 5 ft electric fence 18" apart but change it up every 4-5 years cause the deer learn how to get around it.

other things
- 3' diameter of mulch around the base of the tree. don't let grass grow around it.
- rabbit, mice... 1/2" hardware cloth 12" tall and 8" diameter.
- don't prune when it's wet to avoid spreading FireBlight
- thin fruit to 1 fruit per cluster. 1 fruit every 6" max. this will help the every other year of heavy fruit and then no fruit. improves flavor and size of fruit.

#35 2013-08-21 21:56:33

Maggiesdad

Maggiesdad wrote:

:stomp: Blasted deer! They trimmed all my babies over the winter... Oh well, I need to do some pruning anyway.

I've grafted 16 pears onto calryana roostock (3 var) and I've still got 20  m-111  roots to do for my brother. He said a ready made orchard would make a great housewarming gift!

Two of the pear varieties are from old gnarly trees at the place where we grew up. The trees are almost dead now - they were there when my dad moved there in '36. I have no idea if they will take, but what the heck - it's worth a try!

So here they go! Every one of them took - I couldn't believe it.  Mama said "Well aren't they going to grow any branches?"

Next year, Mama, next year! :funny:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9MCRhNLd0No/UhU2D7JooII/AAAAAAAACzk/Zy4l2kjrtVA/s512/DSC_0139%2520%25282%2529.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Wqlj0-qFLsU/UhU1uumh6zI/AAAAAAAACzM/BFEYaqqI_GU/s512/DSC_0140%2520%25282%2529.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c5ARBSYHUQI/UhU1vLzbArI/AAAAAAAACzY/hmuDUR2z2cQ/s512/DSC_0141%2520%25282%2529.JPG

#36 2013-08-21 22:11:59

NaturesPace
Website

they look good. the cicadas didn't get you too bad then. Are you going to grow a hedge of trees there? look pretty close... unless that's a really big chicken in the background. :hi:

#37 2013-08-21 23:14:13

Maggiesdad

:P that's just the nursery... makes it easy to keep everybody watered. They could stay there for another year, but transplanting now would be optimal.  The cicadas did do a lot of damage on my bigger trees. This growth has come since then.

I have pics of the cicada damage, and the remay on the apple trees where I tried to protect them... looked like one of those pointy hat meetings, if you know what I'm sayin'. :whistle:

#38 2013-08-22 22:56:15

mikencarol

We have had an unusually wet summer in Oklahoma but the danged grasshoppers have been unreal.  They stripped one of my 3 year old Pecans TOTALLY.  I use Chickens and Turkeys whenever I can but an Old Pecan guy has me using Bug B Gone for pest control where I can't keep poultry.  Aren't the Cicadas in the Grasshopper family?  If so...Bug-B-Gone....with Acephate....is a systemic that WILL get um.............but it sure isn't as entertaining as a group of half-grown turkeys!!!!!!  :turkey:    :cheer:  :cheer:.......................Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#39 2013-08-23 01:16:57

Flat Rock Farm

Glen they look GREAT!!  You should be very proud :thumbsup:

Mike my DH uses that Bug B Gone and swears by it :thumbs:  Yes I believe cicadas are in the grasshopper family.  We don't get the cicadas up here but we have had a lot of grasshoppers which have been keeping my cat and puppy entertained trying to catch them :Crazy:

Adverts

Board footer