Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-25 00:46:48

Micah and Kiah

New and amazing to we two newbies

Three days until hatching!  This morning we took the egg turner out of the incubator, set up our water filled sponges and carefully moved the 20 eggs.  We clucked away to them as usual as we gently placed on after another.  I was startled by how heavy the eggs felt!  Then the strangest thing happened; as I held one our our precious little eggs in my hand, it moved!  I know it couldn't have really moved, right?  But the little hen (I call them all hens right now for good luck) must have moved a little in the shell.  I could feel a fragile new life move in my hand.

When we came back from the feed mill Dennis popped downstairs to check the temperature throught the little glass.  When he clucked at the eggs one of them clucked back!:shock:

I know Claire told me this would happen until you experience it...:jumping:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

2012-04-25 00:46:48

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-25 00:52:36

Lindy Lou

Re: New and amazing to we two newbies

It never ever gets old. It's the miracle of life unfolding in front of your eyes. For me as someone relatively new to hatching I can't get over the fact that an egg goes from breakfast fare to fluffy chick in just 21 days. I find myself glued to the incubator and I'm thrilled when one egg pips and this poor little creature struggled to break free from the shell.
It really is something else :chickout:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#3 2012-04-25 01:07:32

Micah and Kiah

This could get addictive =D

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#4 2012-04-25 01:22:51

Flat Rock Farm

Oh beware Kathy it is VERY addictive.  I have been hatching chicks off and on for over 18 years and it NEVER gets old.  :hatch:

Hope those babies hatch out for you :thumbsup:

#5 2012-04-25 01:34:25

Susan
Administrator

What a wonderful experience! Those babies will know you before they are born. Enjoy your hatch and keep is posted :)

#6 2012-04-25 01:40:56

Prairie Chick

:happycrowd"

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#7 2012-04-25 02:29:58

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

That is great, maybe you'll have an early hatch, as at least one is pipped into the air sac.  Could be a chanty or that D'uccle!  Good luck :jumping:

#8 2012-04-25 12:24:01

Amblecroft
Website

:cheer:

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#9 2012-04-25 14:59:29

Island Girl

:cheer: go chickies go :cheer:

XOX Monika

#10 2012-04-25 15:39:20

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:cheer:  :wine:  :chickout:

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#11 2012-04-25 17:46:26

Micah and Kiah

Updates from our incubator!  It is getting loud down there and one baby is starting to pip and another,  today on day 20 was born!  A wet chick walking around in there! She is our very very first chicken ever!  It was bitter sweet last year trying some eggs for a neightbor as I knew the two chicks were just guests.  I've wanted Partridge Chantecleurs for a LONG time.  I've wanted them from Claire specifically for about 4-5 years but didn't have my timing right.  Now we have our own wee chanty!  Claire i wonder if she is one of the three we took from your broody girl?  She was giving them a head start.;)

It warmed my heart to watch my hubby Dennis last night.:love:  He iced his ankle ( sounds like his sprain is quite mild compared to yours Claire)  then he'd trot downstairs to listen to the little cheeps, trying to figure out which egg the sounds were coming from and resisting the urge to open the lid. (Incubators should come with locking mechanism so that when hatching starts you can't open them no matter how tempted you are!)So far we are behaving and haven't opened the incubator. Dennis went up and down those stairs late into the night excitedly telling me his news.  Due to my knee surgury the chicks know his voice better than mine so he seems to be their momma.:(  She responds to my voice but when she hears the deep bass of her "momma"  she gets very loud and active and reaches her little wet head toward the roof of the incubator.

Through the tiny windows of the incubator we watch her like two explorers seeing an undiscovered country. She has strong legs, she walks around and then plunks down.  She has flapped her wet little wing-things, she looks so lovely! 

but we are worried about three things:

She bumps into the eggs and has rolled some.  I am worried, I thought the eggs shouldn't be moved at this point, is she accidently killing her sisters?

She has a piece of shell stuck on her bum and there appears to be something on the shell like a pink blob.  Dennis is afraid it is a piece of her bowels that was stuck to the shell and came out of her body when she pulled out of the shell.  It looks pink and membrane-like.

There is a lot of moisture in the incubator  Maybe I added too many sponges?  Water is condensing on the windows and dripping down on the eggs.

Dennis and I are worried.  If anyone is online please PM us.  We will take a photo and go to Lynn's within the next half hour.   Claire, Lynn, call me?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#12 2012-04-25 18:22:57

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Micah and Kiah wrote:

but we are worried about three things:

She bumps into the eggs and has rolled some.  I am worried, I thought the eggs shouldn't be moved at this point, is she accidently killing her sisters?

She has a piece of shell stuck on her bum and there appears to be something on the shell like a pink blob.  Dennis is afraid it is a piece of her bowels that was stuck to the shell and came out of her body when she pulled out of the shell.  It looks pink and membrane-like.

There is a lot of moisture in the incubator  Maybe I added too many sponges?  Water is condensing on the windows and dripping down on the eggs.

Dennis and I are worried.  If anyone is online please PM us.  We will take a photo and go to Lynn's within the next half hour.   Claire, Lynn, call me?

Congratulations!  :jumping:

Don't worry about the shell for now.  Any nasty wet blood vessels etc will dry up by the time she comes out of the bator.  You would worry more about yolky stuff showing at the back end on the late hatchers.

I think there is no such thing as too much moisture at the end, if the air cells were big enough for part way through.

I wouldn't worry about the rolling around, they are like little pin-balls.  Unless they are pecking eyeballs  or drawing blood, leave them in.  The momma hen would still move them around too I think, so don't worry.

#13 2012-04-25 23:50:21

Micah and Kiah

I am writing from Guelph! We come here so my youngest dog and I can get some training.

Very big day today!  Before we left a second Partridge Chanty was out and walking around on strong legs.  Many other eggs are pipping! 

I wonder what we will find when we get home from class? 

I wish I had an incubator like Claire's with the big glass front so I could see exactly what was happenning in there!

Dennis and I visited Lynn today!  What a beautiful property, home, barn and coops, a heavenly spot.  Lynn gave us lots of good advice, yummy cake and perfect tea... we could have stayed for hours!

Thanks Lynn :thanks:

We got to see more EOs today at Lynn's, wow what lovely looking chickens.

Dennis and I keep switiching whose turn it is to worry and whose turn to be exited, we are very silly.  Two baby Partridge Chanties and a loud incubator full of pipping eggs... this is awesome!

I could be out of control  by Sunday, I'll want to incubate everything in sight!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#14 2012-04-26 00:57:17

Lindy Lou

thank you very much for the compliments. I certainly enjoyed meeting you both and hope you will come again soon.If you have any other questions I can answer just ask away. I'm so glad your hatch is moving right along and hopefully you will come home to so more little fuzzy butts :chickout: I am also glad I got to show you some of my EO's who are my very special birds and I hope you manage to hatch some of your own soon.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#15 2012-04-26 01:32:14

Susan
Administrator

I love your enthusiasm! Hope those babies hatch well for you!

#16 2012-04-26 01:50:02

Lisa

:cheer: Go Chickies! :cheer:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#17 2012-04-26 06:19:44

Micah and Kiah

The tally is up to four!  I've gone from saying, "How come they are early?"  to "What is taking them so long!":hatch:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#18 2012-04-26 10:18:07

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:cheer: That excitement you are feeling right now, it never stops.   I feel like that every time I have a hatch.   I am excited, worried, happy. concerned, all at the same time.   Congratulations!

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#19 2012-04-26 11:28:03

poplar girl
Administrator

It is truely amazing watching chicks hatch! :congrats:

Remember to pretend that the lid on that incubator is locked and that lock will not open until the "popcorn" stops "popping". From experience I know how nearly impossible it is to resist extracting the dry fluffy chicks but beleive me they are fine in there for a good 36 hours after the first one hatches. You may doom the pipped or zipped chicks in the eggs if you open the lid and let out the humidity. Those babies have a yummy yolk in their tummies to use up before they need to eat and drink. I have opened that lid and then had chicks shrink wrapped in their membrane and have done it more than once :oops:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#20 2012-04-26 13:00:03

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I'm glad it is underway! :jumping: :happycrowd" :hatch:  My chanties hatched a full day before anything else last hatch, and it turn out 2-3 days before some of the Ameraucanas and even some EOs. The outage may have slowed some eggs more than others, it is had to say the effect.  I lock my next ones down tonight for Sunday.

#21 2012-04-26 13:22:07

Micah and Kiah

For some reason my knee is really sore this morning.  I'm sure it has nothing to do with walking around saying hi to pretty chickens at Lynn's or trying to go down stairs to check our babies.  I haven't been able to go down stairs yet today but Dennis tells me number five has been born!  She is a blond!  As I write this he is saying number four is a blond chick too!  The first two were PC, who are these two?

I am pretending they are locked in there, Dennis has much better self control I don't think he has been tempted once to lift the lid!

Who would be born blondish? 

Beside the PC dozen we brought home:
2Lav Americana,1 Wheaten Americana, 1Plack Penny, 1PC/Wheaten mix, 2D'uucles (very afraid the power outage killed them), and one EO

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#22 2012-04-26 14:33:33

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Wheaten/PC mix is yellow (ours hatched very first of all-that was the one you saw) and wheaten ameraucanas, would have puffy cheeks and a green egg empty, boitht he first two have a pad looking comb.  EOs are big and yellow with possibly a darker head dot or smudge if they have a gingery back, and you;d see tiny tiny teeth on the comb, easier to see aftera  few hours as it can be flattened a bit.

Hope your knee gets better soon.   Well you had a busy day yesterday, our body has  away of telling us, Enough!

My ankle is swelling again, we went to Orangeville last night to buy me a new laptop and that was enough for my ankle.  Today I have to tidy the house up because our hay guy and kin are coming over tonight.  I have to work tomorrow, so I guess I'll be icing it tonight and wrapping the heck out of it tomorrow for work!   It least I can put some weight on it anyway!  Yes who said to put the bator in the basement?  :duh:

#23 2012-04-26 14:35:13

Lindy Lou

Sorry to hear your knee is not too good this morning. Try and rest it today. Glad to hear you now have five. I think the blondies may well be the EO and the Wheaten, the Lavenders and the Pennies are dark chicks and I can only imagine that the PC cross would be dark too.
You will have to post pictures as soon as they are out of the incubator and then we can tell you what you got.

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-04-26 14:35:49)

#24 2012-04-26 15:04:00

Island Girl

:congrats: Kiah and Micah, sounds like things are moving along smoothly. It is so exciting isn't it? I think hatching brings out the joy and wonder of new life in each of us. Enjoy it and take lots of pictures. A few hatches from now you will be glad that you did. I always think that I will remember details and then later on it all gets fuzzy and then the pictures are worth their weight in gold!

XOX Monika

#25 2012-04-27 01:44:25

Micah and Kiah

6 now!

Today we had to finalize wheel chair arrangements so I can attend Mount Forest Fur and Feathers :(  It is the only way I'll be able to get around the grounds and still really take in what I see but I am quite unhappy about it.

I've carefully written our agenda for the morning and a list of what and who to watch for...

Dennis finds me amusing!

I am starting my chicken farmer log book/diary to track things we learn, what we need to do, expenses...
Oddly enough, Dennis and I disagree over the definition of an expense!:)  I think the gasoline to drive to Claire's should be a household expense and he says it is a chicken expense.

I've decided to create a breed of fad chickens to sell and make my chickie fortune.:)  I know, not possible, right?  It just would be nice to have something in the chicken income coloumn of my book someday.

The incububator is in the tiny windowless bathroom in the basement.  We have a ceramic heater keeping the room temp at 80.  In a little while we will need to get the chicks out that are getting close to 36 hours in there! One hour before we open the incubator we will plug in our warm water vapourisor so that the room humidity will be high.  We will have the spray bottle ready with warm water and transfer chicks as fast as possible.

We are concerned about two eggs.  The chicks pipped a whole yesterday and haven't done anything else since then!  The one is just a little beak sticking out the hole not moving!  What can we do?  We are considering that somehow they are stuck and maybe we should help them when we go in for the fluff balls.  I hope someone can write or phone us on this concern!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer