Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-22 15:23:33

Island Girl

Fruitloops has died!

Last night she had foamy eyes. I separated her gave her TetraoxyclineA, i put her in the basement with a heat lamp. She ate a bit of henscratch, yogurt and boiled egg and drank. This morning I went to give her fresh food and she had died. I have to go to church as I have some commitments there but plan to leave before the service starts in hopes of some feedback here. I am flipping out to say the least. If you recall she is one of the broodies that I put the new chicks under. The other broodie looks fine (now) and the chicks are fine, again ... so far. I have never had a hen with foamy eyes! Can I medicate the chicks :nervous: they are only a week or so old. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? Have you ever had this? What should I do? This is just awful.... gotta go now ... I will be back ASAP.

XOX Monika

2012-04-22 15:23:33

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-22 15:26:53

Lisa

Re: Fruitloops has died!

Monika,

This is terrible! So sorry for you and Fruitloops.

Is your current chick starter medicated?

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#3 2012-04-22 15:34:31

Flat Rock Farm

I am so sorry Monika that you lost her so suddenly. :sad:   Isn't foamy eyes a sign of upper resp. infection???  I am thinking the chicks should be fine if they are on medicated chick starter.  I would treat the other broody just as a precaution with Tetracycline.

#4 2012-04-22 15:45:50

debbiej

Monika is feeding the chicks Medicated Starter , which the broody hens would also be eating

#5 2012-04-22 15:50:49

Prairie Chick

:hug: I am so sorry for your loss, also sorry i don't know what causes foamy eyes.

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#6 2012-04-22 16:05:10

poplar girl
Administrator

If you mean you could see tiny bubbles in the liquid on Fruitloops eye when you say foamy it is most likely mycoplasma, aka chronic respiratory disease (CRD). Was her breathing also affected?

The medication in the chick starter will NOT combate CRD, it will only help the chicks build resistance to cocci. Tetracycine will work on some forms of CRD but not all. Tylan is generally more effective. I am not sure about giving it to the chicks.

Claire knows more than me, hopefully she will weigh in.

I am very sorry about Fruitloops Monika and I hope your other hen and the chicks stay healthy

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2012-04-22 16:26:11

Island Girl

I'm back from church. So I am having trouble deciding which meds to use. Not sure what has affected her, could be M. Gallisepticum (MG) or maybe Infectious Coryza?? They are treated with different meds one is with mycin drugs the other seem to be more sulpha drugs. I have OxytetracyclineA, Sulphamethazine, Gallimycin and superbooster available. Any ideas which I should use. I await your responses please. I have Fruitloops in the fridge and will send her to the lab tomorrow on the mainland. I think I should treat my whole flock, any opinions on that? Also about those chicks, should I treat them? Oh dear .......

XOX Monika

#8 2012-04-22 16:33:35

Susan
Administrator

I am so sorry Monika. I agree completely with PG. Tylan is by far the best and I believe it is my mycoplasma that you are dealing with. It rears its ugly head when birds are dealing with stressful times, brooding being one of them. Unfortunately it could affect the chicks as well. I would watch them very closely but not neccesarily medicate unless you see any more symptoms. Also start them all on a probiotic. (think yogurt). I say probiotic supplement not yogurt itself as you want to get as much good "gut" bacteria into them. That way if you need to use antibiotics on them they will have a better chance of tolerating it. If you can't get Tylan my second choice would be tetracycline but only until you can get it. Keep everyone as stress free as possible. Don't move them around and give some some boiled eggs crushed up. If they can be out in the sun, all the better. Good luck!

#9 2012-04-22 16:37:44

Lindy Lou

I'm so very sorry Monika. I got out my chicken Health book and it says the Coryza has a very distinctive smell coming from a reddish foul smelling nasal discharge and usually causes swelling in the face.  It sounds more like Chronic Respiratory disesa which says you should treat with Tylan or erythromycin (Gallimycin.  )   
Hopefully some one more experienced than I am can give you advice with the chicks.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#10 2012-04-22 16:37:58

Island Girl

Thank you Susan I am going to go and see if I can find Tylan this morning but I don't believe we have it here. Does it go by any other names that you know of? Would you hold off til this afternoon in case I can find it or should I start them on the tetracycline now and then switch?

XOX Monika

#11 2012-04-22 16:39:32

Island Girl

Thank you too LL, I am going downstairs to grab all my meds right now. I know I need to stop panicking Gary is pacing while I am doing this.

XOX Monika

#12 2012-04-22 16:52:08

Island Girl

Ok there was no smelly discharge from her nasal area so I am going to rule out Coryza :nervous: The OxytetraA has Oxytetracyline Hydrochloride 55mg/g, the SuperBooster has Penicillin G Potassium and Streptomycin sulfate and the Gallimycin has 231.2 gms Erthromycin as erythromycin phosphate, which would you use for now til I can go and look for Tylan?

XOX Monika

#13 2012-04-22 17:32:33

Susan
Administrator

I would use the superbooster for now. You usually have to get Tylan from the vet but some feed stores have it. If you are really stuck, I will get you some and send it priority.

#14 2012-04-22 17:34:03

Susan
Administrator

Feel free to call of you want to chat. :hug:

#15 2012-04-22 17:35:18

Island Girl

Am wondering if anyone has read that thread about silkie bantams sick chicks, respiratory illness on Western Canada Poultry Swap (wcps.forumotopn.ca) its enough to make me wanna cry right now ....

I gave my flock a half dose of the tetracycline med as a preventative, I checked all the eyes no one including the chicks next door, have any signs. Didn't medicate them yet.  Now I am off on a Tylan search, on a Sunday :banginghead: whist I wonder if I have an entire flock that needs to be quarantined due to respiratory illness! Talk to you all soon, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your speedy replies, don't know what I would do without you!!

XOX Monika

#16 2012-04-22 17:37:02

Island Girl

Missed your post about the super booster Susan, already gave them the Oxytetra, should I give them both? I will check posts on my phone (hubby will drive :P)

XOX Monika

#17 2012-04-22 18:30:13

Susan
Administrator

No don't give them both. I just said super booster as it has Galimycin which is good as well as vitamins. It is something many people use on shipped chicks. It's also a fairly low dose. Hopefully you can find the Tylan. The drug itself is called tylosin and is quite expensive though I woundn't want to be without it.

#18 2012-04-22 23:10:16

Island Girl

Well my search was fruitless. No Tylan to be had maybe if I special order it may be here in 2 weeks. We went to a community farm auction and I spotted a well known poultry judge there so I asked permission to pick her brain about farm disease and she settled me down or at least convinced me not to burn down the coops. :sad: Then we came home, I went directly to the chickens to check for more frothy eyeballs and to fill up the food. I walked in, checked on my silkie (broody on eggs) and turned around to walk out past all the chickens. I got to the door and heard a hard flapping sound only to turn around to watch my 'up and coming' roo from Susan do his last dance in front of me. We are talking no signs, nothing just dead. I think I stood there in disbelief!! Yup, you better believe I am definitely back in full panic mode, again! What the he!! :shock: I looked him over very carefully, a few mites (I am sick of them too!!) This is so disheartening! If I switch over to the Gallimycin does anyone know if I can do it right away or do I have to wait.

XOX Monika

#19 2012-04-22 23:16:44

Susan
Administrator

Oh good lord monika! That sounds like a heart attack. Can you open him up?  You can switch antibiotics right away. Do you want me to get you some Tylan and send it overnight?

#20 2012-04-22 23:17:20

Susan
Administrator

I'm going to call you in a few minutes.

#21 2012-04-22 23:21:45

Island Girl

ok sniff :(

#22 2012-04-22 23:53:03

Micah and Kiah

I am so sorry to hear what is happenning to you!  I wish we could help!  Sending you good thoughts and prayers.

Kathy

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#23 2012-04-23 00:00:53

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh Monika what a terrible day.  :hug:  Sounds like Susan can help with the Tylan.  Fruitloop sounds like a mycoplasma, probably brought on by brooding or any weather temp changes you have had lately.  It is latent in many flocks, and brought out when they are stressed.  It may be there is something else they are carrying surfacing too to cause the deaths.

I would give Superbooster too.  Mycosplasma is very easily killed by most antibiotics within 5 days because of the lack of cell wall.  Problem is they reinfect from the environment that's why you don't get rid of it completely, I mean the whole environment, other birds etc.  Keep us posted.

#24 2012-04-23 00:48:52

Flat Rock Farm

Monika you poor dear, what a horrible day. :sad: 
I could get you Tylan but I would have to order it from work tomorrow would come in Tues and possible get it to you by Wed, Thurs at the latest.  If Susan can hook you up with some sooner that would be great, but let me know I will order it if she can't.

#25 2012-04-23 00:51:24

Lisa

Monika,

Nothing helpful to add, just good wishes!!! :)

Last edited by Lisa (2012-04-23 00:51:38)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

Adverts

Board footer