Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2012-06-10 00:11:15

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Oh No Cocci??

Susan I am in no way implying that it has anything to do with birds from you.  I have TPC, frizzle cochins, silkies, FWM, coronations, araucanas in this batch of chicks along with yours.  I think the conditions where just right for it.  We had a hot dry spell and then it got cool and wet, they were in my shed which is insulated, so am not sure.  I see other folks have been battling it as well.
I was just so upset that I had lost as may as I did and that they were chicks from you made me more upset.  Plus they were all pullets as well :duh:

2012-06-10 00:11:15

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2012-06-10 00:57:18

Lindy Lou

My guys were in the barn which is insulated and draught free plus they still had their heat lamp going. So I have no idea how mine came to pick it up. Talk about Panic Mode when I saw that one bloody poop. I'm so grateful to this forum because a year ago I wouldn't have realized what that bloody poop meant. Mine are on their last week of Amprol at a reduced dose and it seems to have done the trick. I do know that one of them sounds a bit wheezy so I may have to take it out and isolate it so I can treat it if necessary.
God What A Year. :banginghead:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#28 2012-06-10 03:53:36

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yes one of the best protections is not letting the shavings get wet from the waterer, have it raised, and paint all wood the chicks come into contact with.  Cocci goes into the wood when wet and comes back out again next year when it gets wet again.  It likes damp wood, and rainy weather totally brings it on too.  You are right Paula that is prime conditions. 

Glad everyone's birds are perkier now.

#29 2012-06-10 13:53:57

Lindy Lou

That's what I find strange about mine getting it. The stall where they are has concrete 6" up the wall and the plywood above has been sealed with two coats of wood stain. Their waterer is raised on concrete bricks and the shavings are changed weekly and cleaned out around the waterer daily. Beats me :huh:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#30 2012-06-10 15:21:46

Flat Rock Farm

I know I can't understand it as well as the floor is concrete, the sides are chip board (not painted, so maybe that's it)) and the same, shaving are changed once a week or sooner if needed.  The water is elevated and I clean it out the base of the water bottle at least three times a day :huh:
I am now going to rip that chip board off (burn it) and do the sides in plywood and paint them!!

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-06-10 16:29:37)

#31 2012-06-10 16:05:18

Susan
Administrator

I know this sounds a bit strange but when it's dry ( not rainy and soggy) and if your adult birds appear to be in good health, add a few scoops of shavings from the adult bird coop and spread them around. There wil be low amounts of cocci oosysts in there and they will get the gradual exposure they need to develop immunity to a massive infection. This is why chicks raised with a broody rarely get it. Exposure to low doses constantly and right from the beginning is a good thing.

#32 2012-06-10 16:28:57

Flat Rock Farm

No not strange at all Susan, I have heard this before as well.  It's true I have never had broody raised chicks with it.

#33 2012-06-11 02:13:26

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yes we never use medicated feed last year, did broody raised only and no cocci, though it was not a bad summer either.

Adverts

Board footer