Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-18 13:20:40

Susan
Administrator

Traits to consider... Leg colour

Ideally the leg colour of Euskal Oiloak should be yellow ( ww) this is a double recessive with Ww and WW showing white. We are also seeing blue and willow legs often showing up. Other genes such as Id play a role as well. Share what you know about leg colour here and ask questions as well :)

2012-04-18 13:20:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-18 14:29:08

ipf

Re: Traits to consider... Leg colour

For white legs you need at least one Id allele and one W allele. id+ (the wildtype recessive form of this sex-linked gene) allows expression of dermal melanin, so W/W id/id, W/W id/-, W/w id/id  and W/w id/- will have blue legs, while w/w id/id and w/w id/- will be willow (green). The B allele also inhibits  melanin deposition when homozygous (which only happens in males, as it is sex-linked), which is why males of purebred barred breeds will often lighter coloured (yellow or white) legs while the females show some darker colouring.

#3 2012-04-18 16:09:50

Island Girl

:goodthread: Thank you!! Does anyone have EOs with all the leg colors, not all on the same bird :funny: It would be nice to have a visual :pics: so we could compare the colors.

XOX Monika

I was hoping that a mod could transfer the wonderful info on leg color that is over in that other post (Time for ipf to get EOs) into this thread :please:

Last edited by Island Girl (2012-04-18 16:13:06)

#4 2012-04-18 16:53:17

NaturesPace
Website

i'm pretty sure i have blue, white, willow and yellow.

here is the blue
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/Bluefeet.jpg

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2012-04-18 17:21:09

Susan
Administrator

By Monika: "I think I understand that to breed out the white legs I need to breed to a yellow legged roo and a % of the chicks should have yellow legs. But would I be further ahead if I bred a yellow legged hen to a yellow legged roo, getting a larger % of yellow legged chicks. Guess I better go back and study that!

By ipf:
"To breed out white legs, you just need to breed only yellow-legged birds. That's the nice thing about dominant traits, one generation and you're rid of them. Recessive traits stick around for a long time; pretty mich forever if you don't do it right.
BUT your white legged birds may have lots of other good genes, so keep them in in your breeding programs (if they do, indeed, display other desirable traits), knowing that you can easily get back to yellow legs in one or two generations" Sounds like we need a new thread. . . discussing traits to select for, and when to do it.
By Monika:
"Yes please, its much easier for me to understand when we discuss certain traits not using genetic codes  I didn't get it that it would only take 1 generation to breed out those white legs. Do I get this now, if I breed a yellow legged roo with a yellow legged hen ALL the chicks should have yellow legs? That is exciting. Yet I also get what ipf is saying about keeping a hen with other desirable traits. I have a very nice large hen with a nice shape to her and a very pleasant personality and good coloring except for white legs. I think I would like to keep her and see if those other traits would show up in offspring despite that some of her chicks would end up with white legs because some of her chicks would also have yellow legs, and maybe a chick would have it all from her size, shape and personality and then get her papas yellow legs. Oh my, I think I like this.
By ipf:
"Yes, a yellow-legged hen (w/w) crossed with a yellow legged roo (also w/w) will have all yellow-legged (w/w) offspring.  IG, it's a good idea to try to understand those genetic codes - they're really like shorthand, and do make it easier in the long run.

DO keep that nice white legged girl!"

Gubi wrote:
"I am using a white legged rooster on my yellow legged hens and have been hatching mostly yellow legged chicks.  This tells me that my rooster is W/w.  Blue/willow legs are much harder to get rid of because the id gene is recessive.  Even though non of my breeders have blue or willow legs I am hatching a large number of chicks that look like they will have willow legs!  Because of this I know my rooster is Id/id.  I know this because Id is sex linked and the hens are either id/-(willow or blue) or Id/-(yellow or white)

Hopefully I got it now and I figured if I write it down I will be able to remember it too!"

#6 2012-04-18 20:42:12

Susan
Administrator

Did I get everything Monika? Is that what you were looking for?

#7 2012-04-18 21:56:28

Island Girl

Yes :thanks: Susan!

XOX Monika

#8 2012-04-19 00:26:04

gubi
Website

Island Girl check this out. 
http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=110
I have pictures of all leg colors on my youngsters last year.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2012-04-21 14:06:03

Amblecroft
Website

:goodthread:  Always interesting--and the mottling topic as well!

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

Adverts

Board footer