Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-12 03:20:11

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Excruciatingly slow internet!

:banginghead: The one thing I ask for when I am away from home is my dear internet! I am staying at a motel that I have stayed here tens of times before, now under new ownership and they have changed the internet provider :huh: I have been trying to upload pictures all night!   Its taking 15 mins or more to reload topics to reply on here.....my apologies for not replying to any mroe threads tonight but I have had enough :banginghead:  The office I am working at has wireless and a password for me, so if I get a minute here and there, I will reply tomorrow on my laptop.  It`s a 11 hour day tomorrow, so maybe will get a minute or two here and there to escape to EO-land!  Maybe I can load the pics up overnight.  =D

I have also been trying to research incubators and found three interesting ones on Kijiji, a Marsh Roll-x and a turn-x and a Lyon cabinet.  I got some replies on them, but they are expensive and wondering if they are worth it.  The TurnX is the smallest and on my way home!  As far as I can tell only 18 chook eggs so probably too small,  the Roll-Xs look good if I could find a capacity number.  The one is in Thunder Bay and they havent replied yet.` Anyway it is driving me crazy the number of timeouts, so will tray again tomorrow. sigh.

I have news, we are getting a cute tiny new Kubota BX25 with backhoe, loader, and mower this week hopefully, with a blower purchase this fall-hopefully a kijiji special.  I am so excited.  It is part of a greater plan I hope to be able to tell you about soon :happycrowd" the farm is not selling and we sold our two old unreliable tractors so need a snow-blowing device for the winter and a plan.  Lets just say we have been looking at house plans but have a million hoops to jump through before we can make anything happen. :whistle:

2011-07-12 03:20:11

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-12 03:47:27

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Excruciatingly slow internet!

Oh now you have caught my interest....look forward to more details of "the plan".

It must be very hard being away from home for work several nights a week. For both you and your DH. My DH travels more than me, he is away starting tomorrow for a few days.

And looking forward to pictures when you can. No worries though, a little bit of suspense never killed anyone.

Buy a good incubator Claire. One big enough and one that won't let you down. Nothing nice about failed hatches.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-07-12 11:34:46

Flat Rock Farm

PG, she has got my interest as well...... Don't let John, Lynn's hubby know you bought a Kubota, he will be green with envy.  Also noticed on PSO that there are a few incubators advertised for sale, you probably have already checked them out.  Well I don't mind being away from home for a few days, gives me a break!!!!  LOL

#4 2011-07-12 12:10:45

Lindy Lou

AUHHHH Don't say Kubota around John. It sends him into flights of fancy that because of the price tag it makes me cring!! I did cave in and he bought a 26hp Lawn Tractor that arrives today. His reasoning for that is the grass is getting too much for ME to cut with a push mower. I was the one pushing it and you didn't hear me complaining!!!
What is it with men and things with engines?
LL:huh::huh:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#5 2011-07-12 13:04:41

gubi
Website

Slow Internet sucks.  I find the EO site is very slow all the time for me? 
Sometimes things happen for a reason.  Imagine I would have had enough room last fall for the EO's!  There would be a heck of a lot less of them around the country now!  I do find it strange that farmland is not moving up your way.  2 hours south where I live if a farm is listed it's sold right away!  Even Houses with 5 acres.  My neighbor sold his 5 acre place with a small barn, house and attached huge shop/garage for a rumored $330'000.-.  But like I said things happen for a reason.  I have a vision of a brand new automatic everything chicken barn at your place!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2011-07-12 14:13:01

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

poplar girl wrote:

Oh now you have caught my interest....look forward to more details of "the plan".

It must be very hard being away from home for work several nights a week. For both you and your DH. My DH travels more than me, he is away starting tomorrow for a few days.

And looking forward to pictures when you can. No worries though, a little bit of suspense never killed anyone.

Buy a good incubator Claire. One big enough and one that won't let you down. Nothing nice about failed hatches.

Being away isn't usually too bad if it's one or two weeks a month, but I'm booked solid now til Sept except the second week in Aug Nathan, my sister and BIL and myself have a week off, they are coming to us, and have offered to farm sit if we  want to get right away. We'll see. Either way it will be fun :applause:  I guess the money I earn will go towards the little dream tractor!  I'll post a pic when we get it.

After the Brower top hatch fiascos....I am being very careful! :whistle:

#7 2011-07-12 14:13:55

Susan
Administrator

Claire that is exciting! Nothing like dreaming of the "plan" when the gets to be mundane- makes time pass for sure!  I wouldn't get the TurnX. As much as I am thankful for Richard lending me two this spring, they only held about 12 EO eggs and I'm not sure the ones in the middle turned enough. I had very poor hatches in them. And hey- its not just men who drool over machinery- I would love that Kubota!!! Way to go! :) Oh, another thing, I don't know if you guys have it, but MyFy (not sure how to spell it) is an internet connection that you can get and it works wherever there is cell coverage. I think we get it thru Sasktel, but I'll bet you have something like it. Its supposed to be really fast.

#8 2011-07-12 14:16:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

PG, she has got my interest as well...... Don't let John, Lynn's hubby know you bought a Kubota, he will be green with envy.  Also noticed on PSO that there are a few incubators advertised for sale, you probably have already checked them out.  Well I don't mind being away from home for a few days, gives me a break!!!!  LOL

Will have to keep it quiet!  Looks like mostly hovas, and I know I don't want one.  Not idiot proof enough for me and too hard to clean.  I'll keep looking the Marsh RX2's look good or I would have love a Octo 40, but I\m not sure as I don't think you can get the humidity pump to work with it.

With the plan, we have one, we just don't know if we can do it!  Stay tuned!

#9 2011-07-12 16:18:32

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

That's funny Lynn! He couldn't bear to see you sweating away while he had  a cold beer on the porch =D  We were looking at Kiotis too but the deal we got with the backhoe was great!  The BX25 comes with it and the loader.  We figure it will be nice and small for cleaning out "automated everything chicken barns" :jumping: and trenching water and hydro lines to any new ones we might build!  Yes we certainly shared and shipped a lot of eggs Stefan, I know you could have done it too!!   ;)  The realtor are all talking about how slow it is, we are not unusual!  We dropped the price 3 weeks ago and not a call since!  It has made us rethink and realize  a few things!  But we have some official stuff to find out!  I am dreaming away at work and we have  a layout we like too!

Maybe it was the bigger Roll-X I was thinking of.  But I want the option of hatching upright for shipped eggs as it works so well. 

I thought it was slow but we have been having trouble with our home internet too...we should figure something out, I have been tempted by the sticks before because I am away so much but we would need 2!

#10 2011-07-12 17:17:03

Island Girl

The EO site is frustratingly slow for me as well, all the time!

#11 2011-07-12 17:38:30

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I will ask the host if something is up with the site.  :huh:   

I thought it was our home internet as everything has been slow.  Hubby called them one day when it went off and said we had old equipment as we were one of their first so they may come and replace it. May do some homework on sticks first though.

#12 2011-07-12 18:46:21

Lindy Lou

I use a Turbo stick and it works good for me. The thought of dial up just makes me shudder as I can't sit and wait for anything.
As for your plan there are so hoops to jump through from planning officials but it could be worth the agro. As you know we built our own house so if we can give you any pointers please feel free to ask.
Oh and usually it's me on the porch cracking a cold one.LOL
LL

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#13 2011-07-12 19:17:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yeah, after you cut the grass!  ;) 

We have wireless now, satellite was the only option when we moved here.  We were spoiled at the lat three places hurontel were great, high speed, at $20 a month because we were among their first internet customers too.  Russ said the turbostick wasn't as fast as he thought, but I guess it is all relative.  It is certainly faster here but I notice this site is slower for sure.

Thanks for the offer of help Lynn.  We may take you up on it! :thumbs:

#14 2011-07-13 11:12:49

Flat Rock Farm

Hey LL be careful with that Turbo Stick now! :whistle:  You deserve a riding mower you have a lot of grass to cut with a push mower, did you say COLD beer =D.

Yes, I have found this site very slow as well, I thought it was just me,  I have a new laptop and I was finding it was faster than my old computer, so was wondering how come when I can to this site it was so slow????  We have a serve out here called Silo Wireless, they transmit their signals from transmitters installed onto of grain silo's, we have a receiving box mounted on our roof (quiet small) and it's great, way better than dial up and is the same price per month plus not tying up the phone line for DH's business.

#15 2011-07-13 12:48:28

Lindy Lou

MY beer is always COLD!!
Got the tractor yesterday and used it this morning with the trailer to haul water. I`ve got to admit it sure beats carrying buckets of water for the geese pool.
LL

#16 2011-07-13 13:44:07

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I have a little trailer for mine, actually 2, off kijiji!  very nice, great for moving plants to the veggie garden and bring the harvest to the house! And putting all the tools for a job and keeping them together!  Moving mulch, compost, manure, small tree branches to the burn barrel. The list goes on..... =D :congrats: on your new mower, you'll love it.  I get my i-pod cranked and cold drink and lifes good!

#17 2011-07-13 17:58:28

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Ok I am noticing the site is faster now after the host fiddled with something techincal! =D  :eat:

I am so excited about this little tractor...as it is also the means to less chuntering around here.....Lynn knows that that word means....to do with things starting when you want them to and not cutting out 10 minutes after you start blowing snow with it!  It`s a Yorkshire word for low grade complaining, the under the breath kind!  :whistle:

#18 2011-07-13 18:21:51

Flat Rock Farm

I call that low grade complaining under my breath "talking in tongue's" as no one can usually understand me, and that's a GOOD thing, LOL

#19 2011-07-13 19:04:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

;) I know what you mean.  Nathan has been converted, it`s definitely chuntering here.....in England it`s usually what old men do...about youngsters or the Missus!  You know, "what's the world coming to?", "what`s she want now?"  "why do I bother"....I guess it's general complaining that will not get you anywhere or change anything!  Makes you feel better though :thumbsup:

#20 2011-07-13 20:31:34

Lindy Lou

:I did plenty of chuntering about my weed eater today, and cussing and swearing and generally displaying less than lady like appearances. Bl..dy thing keep pulling the spline back inside itself. Weed wack for 3 minutes, spend the next 5 minutes sorting it out and CHUNTERING!!!!
LL :banginghead:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2011-07-14 13:27:08)

#21 2011-07-13 21:07:42

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh dear!!!  :( I can picture the scene.  It may need a new head thing, the round plastic bit that clicks on the end, they last a year or two then let the line go all at once, over and over and you go though yards in a day or they suck it back in. :banginghead:  they are $20-30.

#22 2011-07-14 12:05:08

Lindy Lou

I don't know where the Happy Birthday smilie came from. Must have pressed the wrong button. Oh well it was that kind of day!!!
Hey Claire are you going to the Petapolozza on the 24th? Looks like we will be going and meeting up with Paula. We have one of John's  old school friends over from England so we thought we'd show him how Canadian Ruralite's have a good time!!!
LL

#23 2011-07-14 12:16:47

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I can get rid of the smillie if you want......actually you can go in and edit it if you needed to!  The green options on the bottom right of that post.  It didntl sho up when i viewed your post yesterday!

It sounds like fun and I`d love to go, but am probably not going down to Woodstock on that Sunday, I have two crazy work weeks back to back and have to drive down to Exeter on the Sunday evening anyway.  :banginghead:  I hope you have a great time!

#24 2011-07-14 13:28:56

Lindy Lou

Happy birthday smilie gone. Oh that's a shame. We would have loved to have met up with you & Nathan. But there might be incubators for sale there. Have I tempted you yet?
LL

#25 2011-07-14 13:35:27

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Maybe you could come up for a cuppa or  BBQ -freezer boy steaks...mmm. on the Saturday, Paula is certainly welcome too and I can invite Russ too! :eat:

Adverts

Board footer