Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-14 22:40:33

Island Girl

I did surgery on a hen's impacted crop today!!!

OMG it was fantastic!!! Ok I'll start at the beginning .... I gave Debbie a beautiful little muffed Araucana this past Christmas. 'Muffy' loves Debbie so much that she comes running from wherever she is in the yard to greet her, her muffs just flying in the wind. A few days ago she appeared to a little off and Debbie brought her over for a look we decided that she had an impacted crop. Research suggested to start her on yogurt to help get good bacteria into the crop, it helps prevent sour crop. We syringed olive oil into her mouth and massaged her crop. Debbie took her back home and continued the tlc with more pro-biotic yogurts and mineral oil and lots of massages. It just wasn't working. Her crop was as hard as a baseball. So Debbie talked to our friend Ev who knows everything chicken, she said bring her over and we'll see if its a tumor or an impaction. It was still too difficult to tell so basically we said our goodbyes to 'Muffy' just in case and started the surgery on the back of Debbie's truck. The dental assistant in me had brought gauze, alcohol. latex gloves. antiseptic liquid etc. Nope, Ev said "hang onto her". She plucked some feathers off her crop area and started slicing. Little Muffy didn't make a sound, not that we would have heard her over Debbie's, "OMG, ohhhhh, icky, agh I'm gonna barf, egads, oh no, poor thing, ack she's bleeding, gasp" and so on! :funny: We went through 2 thin layers of skin and then another layer took us into her crop. We manouvered the mass out and made sure nothing else was in there and then just pulled it taught and sewed it back up. We sewed up the crop first and then crazy glued the skin back together over it and threw in 3 more stitches in case the glue didn't hold. Muffy hardly bled and just fell asleep in my arms while we did it. When we were done I put her on the ground and she just talked to us and started preening herself. When we returned back to my place we gave her water. She wouldn't stop drinking! Debbie did take a lot of pictures, so I am going to try to get them off her phone to post tonight. She is on her way home now for post-surgery care. What a team we made today. I sure hope Muffy recovers. Oh I almost forgot to tell you :duh: the mass was a ball of hay wound tight with goat's hair. It weighed 114gms. It was so tight I had to cut it with a scalpel to get it apart. It never ever would have passed on its own, so I know we made the right choice!!

XOX Monika

2012-04-14 22:40:33

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-14 22:49:18

Susan
Administrator

Re: I did surgery on a hen's impacted crop today!!!

You are a rock star!!  You saved her life! Can't wait to see pics. Just watch her for the next while as the crop can become a bit flaccid after the stretching and impact again.

#3 2012-04-14 23:31:19

Lindy Lou

Unbelievable. You and Ev are amazing. I don't think I would have the stomach for anything like that. But you probably saved her life and that is a wonderful thing. Kudos to you for having the mozie. :thumbs:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2012-04-14 23:48:55

Lisa

Where is the "we're not worthy" smilie when you need it??? Monika, you ROCK!!!!! :applause:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#5 2012-04-14 23:59:41

Flat Rock Farm

OMG Monika :shock:, you have missed your calling.  That is awesome that she made it and didn't go into shock, poor wee thing I bet she feels 100% better.  My two cents I would put her on antibiotics for a few days to fight off any infection.

WAY TO GO :cheer:

#6 2012-04-15 00:28:14

Prairie Chick

:shock: Wow good for you guys :cheer:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#7 2012-04-15 00:33:21

Susan
Administrator

I wonder I'd she didn't feel much pain when you opened her due to the immense pressure on the area. ( thinking of an episiotomy here while giving birth). Sorry.

#8 2012-04-15 01:31:23

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Wow that is amazing!  I would bet the skin pulled taught would have had a poorer circulation too so there would have been less bleeding if it was pulled tight.  What did you suture with?

You can give 1/3 of an 300 mg advil too for pain,  I have done it before.  She may compensate if she is in pain and look OK, but definitely antibiotics at that cut was right into her digestive system.  You certainly saved her life.

#9 2012-04-15 03:30:49

Island Girl

I think you guys are right there was so much stretching of her crop it must have been what minimized the bleeding and pain, makes sense doesn't it. At one point Ev said to me "Is she still alive, she's not moving at all?" We used regular sewing thread, I really wish that we had gut sutures in our arsenal but we had to make do with what we had. We will remove the outer 3 stitches but the ones holding the crop together will be staying there. :nervous: I have been trying to transfer the pictures from Debbie's Motorola phone to my laptop with no success. We'll have to wait for her to give it a try. She took some really great shots, I can't wait for you to see them.

XOX Monika

#10 2012-04-15 04:21:09

debbiej

I gave Muffie 100mg of Advil and put a bit of Oxytetracycaline in the syringe with it and water .  I then put 1/4 tsp in the water i quart/liter. She's very thirsty and chattery. She kinda puffed up. Hope she's better in the morning :nervous:

#11 2012-04-15 09:48:56

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

She may have been dehydrated as nothing was going in so that could be normal.   If she is drinking a ton, it is wise to give the antibiotics separately and maybe get her some electrolytes too, are there any in the antibiotics mix?

Can you make her up some protein rich softish food and leave her a bit of layer out too, does she have access grit where she is?  She may need a little, just to get things moving again.

I hope she recovers well, a heat lamp may be an option too if she is looking under the weather.  I think it will soothe her and take the edge off any pain too.  You did the right thing, you would have lost her for sure without the surgery.

#12 2012-04-15 12:19:43

poplar girl
Administrator

:shock: I certainly hope Muffie makes a full recovery! I gotta tell you a scalpel, needle and thread are not part of my first aid kit for the chooks.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#13 2012-04-15 13:55:55

ChestnutRidge
Website

That is amazing!  You all must have been brave, level-headed, and steady-handed to pull that off.  I am impressed! :applause:

#14 2012-04-15 14:50:11

debbiej

Muffie's alive!  She's puffed up, but chattering . I'll make her some breakfast, wasn't sure if I should feed her so all she got yesterday after surgery was vitamin water and the pain killer and antibiotics. I gave her a bit of greek yogurt and a drizzle of olive oil, she had a taste

#15 2012-04-15 15:06:29

debbiej

I kept her in a small dog crate in the mud room overnight. I just made her some breakfast, I put a bit of softened organic cereal with hemp hearts and chia , and scrambled an egg in butter chopped up fine and put it in a little pottery bowl.  She dove into it, she loves it. i'll give her some chick starter with some chick grit in awhile. Thank you for your advice Skeffling

#16 2012-04-15 19:34:05

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

No problem, I am glad she is perky and eating, a good sign :thumbsup:

#17 2012-04-15 19:48:31

Flat Rock Farm

Debbie, glad she seems to be recovering. :thumbsup: 
What an ordeal for her and the three of you, all I can still say is WOW.  You surely would have lost her if nothing had been done.

#18 2012-04-15 21:03:35

NaturesPace
Website

Truely amazing. I read a blog about doing crop surgery awhile ago and was hoping I will not have to ever do it. Great job! I might stop by your place for breakfast. Sounds like a good start to the day. :thumbs:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#19 2012-04-16 01:52:15

debbiej

NaturesPace wrote:

Truely amazing. I read a blog about doing crop surgery awhile ago and was hoping I will not have to ever do it. Great job! I might stop by your place for breakfast. Sounds like a good start to the day. :thumbs:

Anytime,    I make a killer waffle

#20 2012-04-16 01:55:06

Susan
Administrator

Way to go Debbie on the aftercare! I think she is one lucky girl!!

#21 2012-04-23 01:29:50

Susan
Administrator

How's Muffy doing Debbie?

#22 2012-04-23 03:57:15

debbiej

Muffie's doing great. I took the stitches out last night and put her back in with the girls. She's a little thin , but dong amazing all things considered.

#23 2012-04-23 11:28:05

poplar girl
Administrator

:thumbsup: muffie! Feed her some yogurt as a get well soon gift from me please DebbieJ?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#24 2012-04-24 00:53:52

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:snowman: yay! That is great what a success.  Well done!

#25 2012-04-24 01:23:19

Susan
Administrator

Awesome!

Adverts

Board footer