Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-09 13:20:00

Lindy Lou

It's hard to do housework when....

You've got babies hatching. Today is Day 20 and I've got three EO's pipping. One has actually got quite a good size crack going on so I don't think it will be too long before it's here. One has a good size triangle and one has just started to chip. I have so much housework to do but it's hard to think about anything but what's going on down the barn.
Maybe I can whip through things quickly and get back to the best show in town :chickout: Just missed an Easter Sundat hatch by one day. :hatch:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-04-09 13:20:32)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-04-09 13:20:00

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-09 13:23:45

Susan
Administrator

Re: It's hard to do housework when....

:hatch:  yay Lindy!! Forget the housework -watch the babies!!  Lol

#3 2012-04-09 13:49:37

poplar girl
Administrator

It's Easter Monday, your still good :thumbs:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-04-09 16:21:47

Flat Rock Farm

Susan wrote:

:hatch:  yay Lindy!! Forget the housework -watch the babies!!  Lol

I'm with Susan :thumbs:

#5 2012-04-09 16:31:36

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:jumping:  :congrats: And so it begins again!   Definitely the appearance of cute new life comes first over cleaning!  No question.  I have spent so much time with mine since they hatched, the dog is certainly getting jealous!  Nathan is coping ;)

#6 2012-04-09 16:41:06

Island Girl

Yay LL now that is what I call incentive. The housework will get done so quickly if you treat yourself with the rest of the day to a 'hatch watch'  Make yourself a basket of goodies to take with you to the barn. Snacks, thermos of coffee, camera =D something to help update us. :chickout:

XOX Monika

#7 2012-04-09 17:16:51

Lindy Lou

I gotta say I love you guys and think you are absolutely great. The update is one EO hatched, it had pipped at 8:00 this morning and hatched just before 1:00. So 5 hours, not too bad for such a monumental task. Three more EO's have pipped and the Americaunas are still snoozing.
This hatching just never gets old. Anyone that doesn't get excited and cheer that chick on as it's finally breaking free of it's shell needs to take a pilgrimage to the Himalayas or somewhere that restores your soul.
PS Monika I love your suggestions, sounds rather like a picnic. :funny:
First to hatch was one of Curly's and the 2nd one to hatch was one of Sonny Jim. Arrived at 4:18. Third is well pipped. Can you tell I haven't strayed too far from the incubator today. :funny:
:jumping::jumping:Love it :cheer: :cheer:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-04-09 20:28:33)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#8 2012-04-10 03:46:29

Lindy Lou

As of close of play today which is Day 20 I have 3 of Curly's hatched , 1 of Sonny Jim's and one more pipped. That leaves two who are playing hard to get and the Americaunas are still snoozing. I have my fingers crossed that all 7 of the EO's hatch. Maybe I'll get lucky. :chickout:
And not much housework done :whistle:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-04-10 03:47:39)

#9 2012-04-10 17:19:28

Lindy Lou

Well so far 6 out of the 7 EO eggs that made it to lockdown are out. Nothing from the last one . I'm happy to report that one of the Americaunas has pipped but not  a thing from the rest. Are they known to be slow hatching?
I'm tickled pink to have nearly all the EO eggs I put into the incubator hatch. I seem to be having better luck with the conventional method of hatching rather than the Dry. When the chicks are hatching the membrane inside looks to be pretty tight and doesn't seem to be sticking to them or dried out looking. I presume that's what the inside of the shell is supposed to look like. Right?

#10 2012-04-10 17:30:13

gubi
Website

That's great that this hatch is working better for you using the conventional method.  For me it was the opposite.  I did my first hatch conventional and my second hatch dry.  The dry hatch was one of my best hatches ever.  I guess it all depends on the incubator and the room humidity.  The Am's I had from Claire were hatching way later then the EO's.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#11 2012-04-10 17:38:38

Lindy Lou

Well is'nt that odd. I use a Hovabator with a fan and I couldn't get the humidity up enough using the dry method. However doing it conventionally the humidity was 45-50% up to lockdown and 65-75%.
Glad to hear that the Americaunas are slow to hatch. I'll keep watching them for a while yet. How long past Day 21 should I wait until calling it quits?

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-04-10 17:39:30)

#12 2012-04-10 18:13:11

Prairie Chick

I would give it about 3 days past the 21 but if you smell something nasty try to find that egg and get rid of it :sick:

:congrats: on the fuzzy butts :)

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#13 2012-04-11 02:06:17

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Prairie Chick wrote:

I would give it about 3 days past the 21 but if you smell something nasty try to find that egg and get rid of it :sick:

:congrats: on the fuzzy butts :)

Good plan.  My chanties were all out and done while the Eos were getting going (day 20-21).  Then my last 3 to hatch were LAs (end of day 22) and I helped one on day 23 evening.  Its a tenacious little bugger and 1/3 the size of the others as it elbows it's way around, it's legs are a little splayed and he's still not out of the woods IMO but it can have a chance. 

I hatched 8 LAs all together (mostly day 22) but we had high temps and the last few were shrink wrapped.  I had a few EOs pip and get stuck and not make it  :(  I think I need a waffle think in at the end as well as the two trays of water I had.  I did the middle week dry and the aircells were much better size than when I do them wet all through.

I hope you get a few more.  Glad you got more EOs! :hatch: :congrats:

#14 2012-04-11 02:23:04

Lindy Lou

So far I've got 6 out of 7 fertile Eo's so I very pleased with that. The first one out has shown signs of splayed legs so I've just hobbled them.I have 1 Americauna out and 1 has just pipped and today is Day 21 so I'll see what I get by tomorrow.
When the first Americauna hatched I noticed that the membrane seemed to be quite thick and the chick seemed to have an easier time of cracking the shell than the membrane. My temperature throughout was pretty steady at 99.5-100.00 and the humidity held steady at 45-50% which then I got up to between 68-73%. I thought that was about where things should be. I'll guess I'll have to wait and see how many Americaunas I get. I have no idea if they were fertile or not. The eggs are so dark and hard to candle but the air cells looked the right size and the line at the air cells was clean and not blurry. Maybe my best bet to get Americaunas is to leave the hatching to you Claire and I'll just buy some chicks. :chickout:

#15 2012-04-11 04:16:30

NaturesPace
Website

Wow congrats on even more EOs. How many EO chicks do you have in total?

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#16 2012-04-11 11:17:35

poplar girl
Administrator

:congrats: on your new babies LL! I hope you have lots more Americauna's hatched this morning! I do love the blue eggs. I have a few little hens that lay nice big blue eggs, not even true americauna just hatchery stock, and they are sweet girls.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#17 2012-04-11 11:49:50

Lindy Lou

Thanks Guys. NS I have 6 from this hatch and 4 from last months plus 4 older girls. Paula is bringing me a Rooster  who's about 4 months old on Sunday and another 2 dozen eggs. Then that's me done with the hatching till next year.

#18 2012-04-11 12:01:15

Lisa

LL,

:congrats: on your hatch! Always so wonderful to have new chicks in the world... :chickout:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#19 2012-04-11 15:51:53

Lindy Lou

One day after Day 21 and I have 6 beautiful EO babies and 2 Americaunas. The EO chicks seem to be quite taken with the Americaunas toes nails. I took all the chicks out as this is Day 2 for most of them so they are quite happily laid out under their heat lamp. I swear some of them appear to be sunbathing, all stretched out.
I have decided that this hatching lark requires a lot of patience especially when some don't hatch on time. I'm like Okay already Let's go! but I guess nature moves to it's own time.
I do love the feel of little fuzzy babies :chickout:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-04-11 16:10:49)

#20 2012-04-11 16:03:11

Flat Rock Farm

:funny: I know patience is VERY hard for LL :funny:
:congrats: on the new babies, will have some more eggs for you on Sunday :thumbsup:

#21 2012-04-11 16:05:52

NaturesPace
Website

:chook: it's hard to wait for those babies.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#22 2012-04-12 11:28:05

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Any more Lynn?  :nervous:  I will be hatching a few more this spring, I really only got about 15%-20% rate with mine on the last go.  I had a ton of unhatched eggs though, I know my eggs were up to 3 weeks old, so when the night soil hits the fan, and conditions not perfect, they may be the first to give up.  Yours were fresh and on breeder ration so should have had every chance.  The EOs are lovely, I'd forgotten how tame they are without a glaring broody (imagine the Tasmanian Devil's face) like last year. 

Mine are jumping up on to my hand and tugging at sleeves (and arm hair!)  They have the female black pennies fooled too and loitering with intent for a pickup.  The little BP roosters and the 2 LAs are the only back-pedalers when you pick them up.

I am bringing lavs for Gail and a couple have gone broody, so we are getting a fraction of what we were, but if I can get her 2 dozen, you can have the extras over that.  I don't know how the Wheatens are going to be....I got one out of 8 eggs, but some many were collected when there was just one roo in with them and were older eggs.  There were tons of clears.  They should be better now, but not certain enough to charge money for!

#23 2012-04-12 12:47:24

gubi
Website

I have been feeding my youngest chicks on a small towel to get the to eat more at the start.  When I sprinkle some new starter on there, I have about 4 little roosters tugging on my fingers!  Cute at this age but I remember all too well from last year when they got bigger it wasn't so cute anymore so I try to discourage them to bite my fingers.  I refilled the water in my force air hova and I have an EO piped in it so will hopefully have more EO's. Spitz and silkies soon.  I have 23 EO in lockdown this time.  fertility was almost perfect on all except for the blue silkies.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#24 2012-04-12 12:47:58

Lindy Lou

I haven't been down the barn yet this morning but as of last night not a peep or a pip out of the 15 left in the incubator. It is now a full day with no hatching so I think they may be done. I candle them at 7,14 & 18 days but the shells are so dark all I know for sure is that the air cell developed at the correct rate.
However the two little darkies and the 6 yellows are delightful and i very pleased with the hatch rate of the EO, 6 out 0f 7 ain't bad. :jumping:

#25 2012-04-12 13:55:07

Lindy Lou

So here is the update. I shut the incubator down and cracked the eggs. The one EO had a fully formed chick and 2 of the Lav's looked like they quit earlier. Of the other 13 unhatched Lav eggs 6 had fully formed babies. They appeared to have not even broken through the air cells and all had their heads under their wings. I don't think they were shrink wrapped but I did notice that the inner membrane was very tough.
Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong or how I can improve on my hatching. I don't want to keep losing babies because I'm not doing it right.

Adverts

Board footer