Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-09 01:17:08

Flat Rock Farm

Idea for keeping chicks warm???

I have a question that maybe some of you could help me with.  I am going the the Mount Forest F&F sale.  I am picking up chicks from someone and need to know any ideas how to keep chicks warm for a couple of hours.  I had thought of filling a hot water bottle and putting it in the bottom of a cooler and put a towel over it???  Anyone with a better suggestion would be appreciated, only glitch is I will have not hydro.
Thanks =D

2012-04-09 01:17:08

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-09 01:35:09

gubi
Website

Re: Idea for keeping chicks warm???

How many chicks are you getting?  I have bought 4 chicks from someone up there before and just had them in a cardboard box.  They were fine. I also bought 4 ducklings and took them home inside a cardboard box too.  As long as there are a few to keep each other warm and the box is small enough they should be fine.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-04-09 01:39:11

Flat Rock Farm

Thanks gubi, there will be 20 chicks that I am picking up, but could just be 8 if I don't pick up 12 for someone else.  I just want to make sure they are comfortable and don't get chilled.  I am sure it will be a typical cold rainy day as it is every year :sad:  Will keep fingers crossed for a nice day :thumbsup:

#4 2012-04-09 01:40:29

Island Girl

Before I got my brinsea eco glo brooder I would do exactly what you said. A hotwater bottle wrapped up in towels. Keep a close eye on the little cheepers as you don't want to overheat them. I always brought a spare towel or two so you can layer them if it gets too warm on the bottom. Another thing you could use is the hand warmer hot packs. If you have a Peavey Mart where you live you can purchase 10 pair in a value pack for $9.99. Each one lasts 7hrs. They are very 'handy' !!!

XOX Monika

#5 2012-04-09 01:41:23

appway

Has anyone ever tried those hand warmers and sock warmers that you get in the sporting good Dept. at walmarts and oter places
I would think they would work like a heating pad
what I would do is put the warmers in a box and set a smaller box on top of the warmer and if the chicks start to get cold they can go to the warm spot of the box
I would not put them where the chicks have contact with them as they can get pretty warm
Just a Idea LOL

Guess you and I think alike IG kind of scary LOL

Last edited by appway (2012-04-09 01:43:09)

#6 2012-04-09 02:11:59

Island Girl

appway wrote:

Has anyone ever tried those hand warmers and sock warmers that you get in the sporting good Dept. at walmarts and oter places
I would think they would work like a heating pad
what I would do is put the warmers in a box and set a smaller box on top of the warmer and if the chicks start to get cold they can go to the warm spot of the box
I would not put them where the chicks have contact with them as they can get pretty warm
Just a Idea LOL

Guess you and I think alike IG kind of scary LOL

Indeed! :funny: Actually these work great for mailing eggs in cooler weather as well.

XOX Monika

#7 2012-04-09 11:30:13

Flat Rock Farm

Thanks IG and appway, I don't have a Peavy Mart around here but may try Canadian Tire, TSC ot Wal-Mart for those pocket warmers :thumbs:

#8 2012-04-09 16:29:12

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Dollar store has them in winter too.  We know it is usually damp, chilly and threatening rain at the Fur and feather, so the hot water bottle or heat pads are a great idea, especially as you will be there and out a few hours.

#9 2012-04-10 01:15:49

Flat Rock Farm

Well I just don't want to get them chilled, I was just worrying about how to keep them warm.  As will be walking a round for a bit then breakfast afterwards

#10 2012-04-10 03:43:45

Lindy Lou

I think these days Paula we spend more time standing still and talking then walking around. :funny:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#11 2012-04-10 11:51:26

Flat Rock Farm

:funny: HOW TRUE!!!  The more I walk around I see things that I want to buy........especially that JRT puppy I fell in love with last year.  I feel so sorry for them knowing they are most likely from puppy mills :sad:

Adverts

Board footer