Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2012-04-09 12:53:19

ChestnutRidge
Website

Re: 7 EOs and 1 Orp - but which?

Thanks!  I think their type is a bit different from the EOs, but it is close - I agree that it is closer than the American New Hampshires.  I'm hoping that I can get the upright stance back by continuing to cross back to the EOs. 

I hope I get one awesome rooster from my current batch of EO chicks.  I hope I can keep the EO stance, barring, personality, ranging ability, egg shininess, and egg production if I keep crossing back to the EOs.  I'm thinking of taking the best F2 homozgous male and putting him over his best pure EO-grandmother and F1-mother generation females.

Of course, this is all theorticall and a few years down the road. :lol:

My sick EO chick died overnight.  It was heartbreaking to wake up to.  I'm going to bury her under one of my apple trees later this afternoon, make a few last attempts to rehabilitate Cup, and be very thankful for the chicks I have.

:EO:

2012-04-09 12:53:19

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2012-04-09 13:16:28

Lindy Lou

Sorry to hear of your little one. Wish we could save them all but.... sending you a great big Canadian hug :hug:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#28 2012-04-09 13:31:50

Susan
Administrator

Sorry to hear that CR. that is never easy. Give your others an extra cuddle today. :hug:

#29 2012-04-09 13:46:05

poplar girl
Administrator

I have been out of touch all Easter CR so I am trying to catch up! Your babies are lovely but no idea who the orp is although the white legs will narrow it down. Sorry about the little one you lost :(

Interesting about planning a cross with the new hampshires. There are some differences in Type but I agree lots of similarities. When trying to put the SOP together the new hampshires and Prats were the closest to the EOs. I didn't know there was a German and American type either. You will need to so about 5 generations back to pure EOs after the cross to call them purebred EOs.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#30 2012-04-09 14:14:10

ipf

Typo(?) in step 2: your F1 hen will be B, not b.

#31 2012-04-09 16:34:48

Island Girl

:hug: sorry about your little chick CR. It is heartbreaking to wake up to but you can rest easy knowing that you did all you could.

XOX Monika

#32 2012-04-09 17:53:32

gubi
Website

PG the German New Hampshire were imported into Germany from the US during the second world war and have been bred over there.  They have now reentered the US and are helping to bring the New Hampshire back to what they once were.  They are of much better type and much more productive from what I read about them on BYC.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#33 2012-04-09 21:32:31

ChestnutRidge
Website

ipf wrote:

Typo(?) in step 2: your F1 hen will be B, not b.

Thanks!  You're completely correct.  I'll fix it.

Poplar girl, that would be about 98.4% EO, right?  Do you think the outcross would have made any difference at that point?

#34 2012-04-09 22:07:20

NaturesPace
Website

Question: What 'color' are the ideal EOs? I was trying to play with it on the genetic calculator but i don't know what to call them. Pretty is not in the dropdown. :chairhide:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#35 2012-04-10 02:25:39

Maggiesdad

I think the term is crele.

Do a google image search of  "Crele Rooster"  .. makes for interesting viewing.

#36 2012-04-10 02:30:58

Maggiesdad

Here's a crele Pene from Flights of Fancy Farm - doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to see where our white legs came from...

http://flightsoffancyfarm.com/web/wp-content/gallery/penedesencas/img_2468.jpg

#37 2012-04-10 02:39:42

ChestnutRidge
Website

Cool.  "Crele."  Thanks, Maggiesdad, I'm glad to know a term for it.

I don't know what you need for the genetics calculator.  I bet poplar girl knows.  This was the genetic stuff I found for my article:

"Therefore the Euskal Oiloa were defined morphologically by the genes: r and p (single comb), w (yellow skin), Id (inhibitor of melanin deposition in the leg), po (four toes), Na or na (feathered or naked neck), E or e (black or wheaten), Co or co (columbian restriction of black, or no columbian), S or s (silver or gold), Bl or bl (black or splash), C or c (coloured or autosomal recessive white), and B or b (barred or unbarred)."

That covers all of the varities.  Marraduna would be:

r and p (single comb)
w (yellow skin)
Id (melanin inhibitor in the shanks)
po ( 4 toes)
Na (feathered nect)
e (wheaten) "Dominant wheaten. Female body varies from light salmon to wheat color, some black may be present. Males are wild‐type." (from link below)
Co (Columbian restriction - I think...) "Incompletely dominant.Confines black to hackle and tail in both sexes (called Columbian restriction). Thought to cause a gradient in color from head to tail. Modifies Wheaten to Buff Columbian. Has no effect on extended black, E." (from link below)
s (gold) "This gene is sometimes called 'gold'. Wild‐type, recessive. Invokes red pigment." (from link below)
??? "Bl or bl (black or splash)" No idea...
C (Colored)
B (Barred)

So, it's wheaten+ Colombian + gold + barred - probably more, maybe less.

I like this resource for genetics symbols: http://www.nsppa.ca/documents/poultry_genetics1.pdf  No idea where I got this.

Now I have to look for the GNH's...

#38 2012-04-10 02:53:13

Maggiesdad

ChestnutRidge wrote:

I like this resource for genetics symbols: http://www.nsppa.ca/documents/poultry_genetics1.pdf  No idea where I got this.

This happens to me a lot, too! Sometimes you can shorten the link to find the parent pages when there's no back button or homepage listed. In this instance,    http://www.nsppa.ca/   takes you straight to it...   "Welcome to the Nova Scotia Purebred Poultry Association"
:applause: :surfing:

DW says - "Are you (me) still looking at chickens?!"  :love:

#39 2012-04-10 02:58:00

NaturesPace
Website

Thanks MD. I was wondering if that was it.

CR, thanks for explaining the codes. I never realized what they stood for before.

#40 2012-04-10 03:32:19

poplar girl
Administrator

Here is a link to the results of some playing with the calculator I posted awhile ago NaturesPace:
http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=478

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#41 2012-04-10 13:31:20

ChestnutRidge
Website

poplar girl wrote:

Here is a link to the results of some playing with the calculator I posted awhile ago NaturesPace:
http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=478

That is awesome.  I knew you would know. :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

#42 2012-04-10 13:42:30

ChestnutRidge
Website

I apologize for once again pulling the thread off course.  Back to the original topic, here are my chicks.  I am now 95% certain that Sneakers is the Orp.  We had to put down Cup, and I still don't know why Purple died.  Thankfully, everyone else looks just fine, so it wasn't catching.  The only thing I noticed is that she seemed to have a very sharply protruding keel, so maybe that was related.  It is possible that both were incubator related.  I was steady at about 99.4-99.8 throughout incubation and humidity was 35-40%, which is what keeps my weights and air cells on track.  Who knows.

Here's everybody:
http://scratchcradle.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/imgp2954.jpg

I'm thinking Sneakers is definitely the Orp.  I asked my swap partner which she thought was hers, and she was thinking Sneakers, too.
http://scratchcradle.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/imgp2963.jpg

I think these are the girls by trying to apply Naturespace's theory.  Two girls and Sneakers.
http://scratchcradle.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/d4-females.jpg

And the boys.  What do you think of yellow?
http://scratchcradle.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/d4-males.jpg

#43 2012-04-10 14:17:45

NaturesPace
Website

Looks like sneakers has a buff orp coloring. My guess is yellow is a girl too. I'm glad you are keeping records to further test this theory.

Last edited by NaturesPace (2012-04-10 14:18:18)

#44 2012-04-12 13:06:57

ChestnutRidge
Website

I'm rereading all of the genetics study group threads today and noticed that you guys were discussing the coloring of the New Hamps on the first page of the first topic!  I totally missed that, but I find it reassuring.  So, in about 5 generations as poplar girl suggested, I hope to have a robust strain of EOs for my future homestead.  In the meantime, I think the crossbreeds will do well.  I'll have pure EOs, pure GNHs, and the project crossbreed.  :jumping: I am so excited.  Now I need to sell everybody else... of course, my husband is too attached to the Speckled Sussex hen and I am too attached to my little Phoenix.  And my new little Brown Leghorn will stay if she's a girl.  So that leaves 7 hens, 1 rooster, and 12 chicks to find homes for.  Yikes!

My adorable Brown Leghorn chick:
http://scratchcradle.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/imgp2947ed.jpg

#45 2012-04-12 14:25:29

NaturesPace
Website

What hens are you getting rid of? I might need a blue egg layer. I also had a lady from Harrisonburg call me yesterday looking for some hens. I can see if I still have her number.

Last edited by NaturesPace (2012-04-12 14:26:31)

#46 2012-04-13 00:33:45

ChestnutRidge
Website

I just found this Spanish blog.  I was looking for pictures of Marradunas - and they have lots of great pictures - but they keep New Hampshires too.  Funny.
http://peromiraquehayaqui.blogspot.com/

#47 2012-04-13 01:51:44

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

What a lovely blog :applause:  Some of the translation was a bit dodgy but I got the jist! =D

Adverts

Board footer