Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-07 12:10:07

Maggiesdad

Choosing Breeding Stock

I was just reading Monika's post on Susan's thread about selecting 2 - 4 mos, and have similar questions, but didn't want to hijack.

I'm still trying to get a handle on the genetic thing, too!  I read lots of breed specific large fowl / heritage breed threads on BYC to try to build my knowledge base...  So the first question is, are the techniques of  getting to a specific end result the same across all the breeds? I would think that they are, since they all are chickens, and easily (for the most part!) crossed with one another.

Question two - I see comments about selecting roosters for color, and hens for size. It there merit to this in our applications?

Along that line - All my white (legs, beak) roos are bigger, more docile, and submissive to my more compact yellow (legs, beak) roos. Is this a result of a big white legged hen in the earlier matings?

Plenty more questions, but that will do for starters...  :thanks:

2012-04-07 12:10:07

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-07 16:13:43

Island Girl

Re: Choosing Breeding Stock

No worries about any hijacking ;) If you are wondering it I most likely am too. Good questions. On Susan's thread there was some very interesting info on the links that Claire had posted. Did you get a chance to read those? I skimmed it over last night and saw that one should select even concentrate on back width in a rooster so that hens from that line would have more room for internal organs and egg laying capabilities. So much info to take in, but I really need it in laymans terms. I googled blue legs last night and my mind fogged over as soon as the technical genetic stuff got going and I simply get lost. Keep asking questions and bless those that take the time (over and over again) to help us.

XOX Monika

#3 2012-04-08 01:41:24

gubi
Website

I'm not sure if it makes a difference which sex you select for which trait.  I think it's important that you match up faults and strengths.  I am using a white legged rooster over yellow legged hens.  My plan this year is to select out of the heaviest roosters only and match them up with correct coloured hens.  As we will keep more hens then roosters, the roosters you do keep will contribute more into the gene pool then the hens.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2012-04-08 01:51:26

Susan
Administrator

With chickens, some traits are determined bybthe male as he carries the 2 sex chromosomes ( the opposite of humans). We should compile a list of the sex linked traits and thus it will give a good idea ( in the males especially) of what to look for and also to avoid.

#5 2012-04-08 01:55:35

gubi
Website

Good idea Susan.  blue and green legs are sex linked.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

Adverts

Board footer